• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Great Bay's main theme rendition plays on Temple now; it's listed as Main Theme (The Legend of Zelda), with the Brawl version being referred to as Ver. 2.

Mario is also missing the Gritzy Desert Brawl remix, the Ground Theme 2 remix, and the SMB1 Underground Theme (which is in the 3DS version but not the Wii U version), while Zelda lost a couple of Brawl rips that played on Pirate Ship.

Aurath8

Initial DLC Reactions: Let's just get Dreamland out of the way. However boring this stage is, this stage and Gourmet Race hold an incredible amount of Smash 64 nostalgia for me. I love it.

Lucas is as good as I remember him from Brawl, except better. His Nair is better as it almost always gets all four hits and has so little endlag that I can go straight into grabs/tilts. Uair is a bit slow. Bair is stronger spike and Nair's last hit also spikes well. Fair is still beast and his double jump is about as floaty as Mewtwo's. Dat double jump has caught me off-guard already. Specials are kinda meh, but I love the knockback buff that his DownSpecial got. It has perfectly horizontal knockback too so it sets people up well for the offstage gimp.
Smashes are sweet as ever. If anything Usmash's disjointed hitbox got even bigger. It's like a vertical falcon punch with sneaky startup animations, so hard reads are that much more satisfying.
I've still got to a lot of combos to find, particularly low% tilt stuff and grab-follow ups but after a few matches he just feels great. Could easily join ROB, Mario and Sheik as a main.

Roy is... interesting. He's definitely been Luigified from Marth. Something that really strikes me is just how fast he can be. Dashgrab is your friend here as it also has low endlag. If opponent mistimes a punish they can eat tilts. His throws have such low knockback that you can easily enter 30+% strings. Also tipped attacks tend to combo into eachother. FSmash is incredibly fast and when sweetspotted it can kill at around 80%.
I do have to say, with all this combo potential and fast fall speed, he feels a bit like more a Melee character than anyone else in this cast.

Ryu is hard. I have played Streetfighter before, but I'm initially struggling to get the moves out when I need them. I'm getting Snake vibes from him, as he has a unique fighting style and unique tools that almost require a different skillset to master. I'll try my best because I paid for him but it'll take a while to master him.

Also Greninja got buffed. His Fair is just...better overall.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Okay.

Can you summarize your position in this "debate" as something other than "this character violates a set of rules I created, he shouldn't be included?" Because that's what you're saying.

I suppose I can't. Sorry for speaking my mind, and sorry you don't like it.

Torpoleon

Mario: the original Princess Peach's Castle theme from Smash 64, the 8-bit SMB theme that played in Mushroom Kingdom, and Subcon from Melee.

Zelda: The Hyrule Castle theme that played in Smash 64, and the Zelda main theme and the original Saria's Song that played in Great Bay in Melee.

That said, Dreamland 64 got new songs for it, including Pop Star and Sectonia Soul, and it even got a remix of Ice Cream Island. So those two stages may see new songs completely in addition to their original songs.
Yeah, I could see some new tracks coming. For Mario, I hope we get some more 3D World tracks, specifically the Hisstocrat theme.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You're baying at the moon here. We're sorry that certain characters offend your arbitrary sensibilities. Equally sorry that you can't enjoy the novelty and entertainment value that specifically come with characters like Snake and Ryu. There's a minimum to be achieved by continuing to tell us how offended you are that this optional DLC character was added to the game.

It's called an opinion. You know, that thing everyone has?

For the record, I actually agree with Bguy7 to an extent, that Ryu doesn't fit very well. Now, I won't say he doesn't fit at all, because he does have a decent place. However, much like Pac-Man, his inclusion seems like overkill.

As an avid fan of fighting games, I am likely to buy him, but I do hope I can utilize some level of creativity to make him fit more.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Been playing the three new characters and wow this is a nice batch of DLC.

Lucas- YESSS... Lucas is even better than I remember! His up smash is absolutely GODLY. I feel that he's a smidge better than Ness (Ness has better Air moves and a better PK Fire imo). His Bair has a really nice meteor IF you can hit it right, which it isn't super hard to, unlike with his Dair where you must hit them with the final kick in order to get the meteor effect. Whereas Ness has a great PK thunder for recovery and damage, Lucas's is just too slow (imo) to get the tackle or the recovery (Glad his grab can help with recovery) it is a nice way to rack up some damage though.

Roy- IMO a much better version of Lucina and Marth. Never really been a fan of Marth or Lucina and imo I don't really enjoy how they play, but with Roy I absolutely love his playstyle compared to the other two swordfighters. Yes, yes, even though they're not much different I still hugely prefer Roy than the other two. He is a bit slower than the other two, but his power greatly makes up for it (at least imo).

Ryu- Very difficult character to learn, but he is a really great character to play as. He plays somewhat similarly to Little Mac, except Ryu actually HAS air game and recovery. His Dair can be super strong and his down special can be super useful if you manage to land it. I haven't learned all of his inputs (Just a couple of the fireball thingies, forgot their names, and a windmill kick) but I really want to, as his fighting style completely reminds me of Mortal Kombat, which I've been playing a lot recently (And yeah I know Street Fighter is like a less brutal Mortal Kombat, but never played SF so... yeh) so it shouldn't be too difficult for me to learn his inputs. Also like the 2 Final Smashes idea, I'd like to see that happen more in the next game or with more DLC characters.

For the record, I actually agree with Bguy7 to an extent, that Ryu doesn't fit very well. Now, I won't say he doesn't fit at all, because he does have a decent place. However, much like Pac-Man, his inclusion seems like overkill.

While I realize it's your opinion (Which I respect), let me just remind you that Ryu comes from another fighting game that is totally different from Smash Bros. or any series represented, so of course his gameplay and Ryu himself would stand out and feel weird. However I disagree on the Pac-Man inclusion, as he totally fits in with the roster we now have, whereas if he was included in say, Melee, he would feel completely out of place.

Last edited:

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
My only real complaint with Ryu is that he's too good. Once someone gets the inputs down there is no stopping this guy.

It would have been alright if he had no early KO moves, as a reflection of knocking foes offstage not being possible in Street Fighter, but nope, the invincible, frame 6, Counter-beating, Shoryuken kills the heavy Ganondorf at 88% because why not.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Street Fighter II is a very memorable fighting game for the SNES. Ryu had his niche with Nintendo games (without exclusivity with their consoles) along with Megaman.
Streetfighter II on the SNES and how well it sold

Sonic was an important rival to Nintendo, which makes his inclusion a bit ironic. Due to the fact Sega has worked with Nintendo, it isn't surprising Sonic is in the Smash games.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
what are you going to do, mod the game?

I create characters via Mii Fighter quite often, and I do my best to alter the options in Smash for varied gameplay. They help to add more depth to certain areas of the game.

If only the 3DS version had Stage Builder. Then I'd really be able to branch out.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
tbh, I think Sonic was only included because most all of the new sonic games are nintendo-only. At least, from what I can tell anyway.

As for me, I'm hopefully getting Ryu this afternoon, after my last exam. Woo.

BCVM22

tbh, I think Sonic was only included because most all of the new sonic games are nintendo-only.

This wasn't the case in 2007 or so, when that decision was made the first time. Sonic is in there for the same reason Mega Man and Pac-Man are, as recognition of his status as an industry icon.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
screw whatever i said earlier about roy. HOLY MOLY, ROY'S MY BOY!

I'll main him alongside ganon. He's way more powerful than i thought. And these are the characters i love, they may not hit a lot but when they do they destroy!

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
Guys, probably a stupid question, but did they fix the issue where using DLC characters caused an error in your GSP, meaning you couldn't go online? I recall it being an issue back when Mewtwo was released, but I never saw anything saying they'd resolved the issue...

Guys, probably a stupid question, but did they fix the issue where using DLC characters caused an error in your GSP, meaning you couldn't go online? I recall it being an issue back when Mewtwo was released, but I never saw anything saying they'd resolved the issue...

They did. There's even a notification in-game about the issue's patch.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
Oh, is that what it meant? I thought that was a warning saying 'don't use them'. Thanks, must've misread that.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
OK, after I get a $20 eshop card I will have 27.17 in my account. But the total cost of what I plan to buy - the three new characters and the first Mii Costume bundle - is $28 after taxes, because it won't let me purchase Ryu without the stage (that was a real boneheaded move Nintendo, it's akin to NFL teams making season ticket holders purchase preseason games alongside the regular season and any postseason when people don't want the preseason games because "they don't count"). Is there a way I can take only just the remaining 83 cents out of a credit card without having to add like $10 from it?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Is there a way I can take only just the remaining 83 cents out of a credit card without having to add like $10 from it?

I'm not 100% sure whether or not you can do it for DLC, but what you should do is add the DLC items to your cart, and when you go to purchase them, it'll tell you that you're too poor and offer up the option to Add Funds; take it, select Pay With Credit Card, and then under the dollar amounts, there should be an option to pay the difference between the cost and your account.

Been messing around with the 3 new DLC characters. Of the 3, Lucas is probably my least favorite. Don't get me wrong I like Lucas a LOT, but of the 3, I've used Roy and Ryu a lot more. I remember hoping and wishing Roy wouldn't come back because he was such a shameless clone of Marth in Melee and I just didn't care for him. However, I take all my wishes against him back after having seen and used him in Sm4sh. New animations, new moves, and strong as a freaking freight train, Roy's his own character and not a clone. I'm comfortable and I'll be sticking with my main (Lucario <3) but Roy's a fun character to mess around with.

Ryu's SUPER fun to play with. I don't care for Street Fighter but I'd be lying if I said his inclusion didn't get my hype for some reason :p He'll probably end up my third or secondary for when I want to goof around. Pretty steep learning curve, but still a fun character to use. Landing smash attacks and d-airs feels GREAT with Ryu. Still trying to master his button inputs =P