• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I wouldn't rule Rool out completely, but I do think that the costume means that he likely won't be a fighter.

Several actual characters also have Mii equipment based off them, so the King K. Rool costume IMO has no bearing on the actual character's chances.

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
I was playing yesterday vs. Pit on the Fire Emblem stage for 3DS (the Arena) and I had it so it was the normal stage. Pit was on one of the top platforms and just randomly Dash Danced (or something really close to it) back and forth for about a second. I've been trying to re-create this scenario, but I'm wondering if anything similar has happened to anyone else. I can't even get my inputs on the analog stick to make Pit do that when I play as him, so I assume the A.I. just flipped out.

Edit:
Found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kecY8c8xCLM

Weeeel, that answers that question.

All it is is the CPU playing at a level that 80% of smash players aren't at.
(including me lol)
Fortunately, the CPU doesn't watch youtube to learn combos.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
All it is is the CPU playing at a level that 80% of smash players aren't at.
(including me lol)
Fortunately, the CPU doesn't watch youtube to learn combos.

hahahah, true that. they can perfect shield, dodge and read everything but they have little follow ups (sometimes i get some throw combos on me though). But they have some ridiculous stupid decisions. I was playing a match against falco with roy and he kept Dairing me while i was standing and i just had to Up B him with my super armor and i did this like 5 or 6 times before he realized and tried to get away, in which i got him 1 or 2 more times. They can be so stupid sometimes.

Aurath8

hahahah, true that. they can perfect shield, dodge and read everything but they have little follow ups (sometimes i get some throw combos on me though). But they have some ridiculous stupid decisions. I was playing a match against falco with roy and he kept Dairing me while i was standing and i just had to Up B him with my super armor and i did this like 5 or 6 times before he realized and tried to get away, in which i got him 1 or 2 more times. They can be so stupid sometimes.

Best description I've ever heard of this game's AI is that it plays like an idiot in who sees the world in slowmo.

It makes me wonder if the development team continue to update the AI after release. I could see them taking data from For Glory matches to see strategies that players come up with. I certainly don't think Ness AI was doing DThrow -> Fair -> Fair when the game was first released.

Rakurai

The problem with the AI is that it doesn't understand how to go on the offense safely.

They don't have any concept of unsafe attacks and will repeatedly attack your shield and get punished for it. Though they're at least smart enough to grab you if you sit in your shield for a prolonged period of time.

Last edited:

R_N

The problem with the AI is that it doesn't understand how to go on the offense safely.

They don't have any concept of unsafe attacks and will repeatedly attack your shield and get punished for it. Though they're at least smart enough to grab you if you sit in your shield for a prolonged period of time.

This is probably countered by working as a pack against you, even if they aren't on the same team

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
This is probably countered by working as a pack against you, even if they aren't on the same team

I can attest to this. No matter what team they're on the AI always go after me. The thing is that they're pretty predictable most of the time, especially in the air.

R_N

I can attest to this. No matter what team they're on the AI always go after me. The thing is that they're pretty predictable most of the time, especially in the air.

It always gets me when i see them have frame perfect co-ordination to stop what ever a group on the otherside is doing to specifically hit me as i'm flying through the air after being hit by the other guy

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
It always gets me when i see them have frame perfect co-ordination to stop what ever a group on the otherside is doing to specifically hit me as i'm flying through the air after being hit by the other guy

I find they have the strangest co-ordination when there's multiple AI's, but when it's one-on-one they're completely idiotic. Watching a CPU vs CPU match is like watching two Chimpanzees flailing around at each other.

R_N

I find they have the strangest co-ordination when there's multiple AI's, but when it's one-on-one they're completely idiotic. Watching a CPU vs CPU match is like watching two Chimpanzees flailing around at each other.

Side note: It is astounding how the computer has perfect teching
Even Level 1 AIs will tech everything if they land on a ceiling like in Luigi Mansion or Yoshi ISland

Rakurai

It's pretty silly how even level 1 AI will occasionally dodge or perfect shield attacks that would be impossible for a human to react to.

I believe it's been proven that 12 frames is the absolute fastest any human can react in, but the AI can avoid anything that's slower then the two frame start-up shielding and dodging have.

The higher level AI opponents act upon your button inputs. Since they read your moves almost perfectly and act accordingly almost instantly, they are forcing you to play a defensive game.
And they definitely have a hive mind. Multiple opponents will coordinate attacks like a tactical strike team.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Best description I've ever heard of this game's AI is that it plays like an idiot in who sees the world in slowmo.

It makes me wonder if the development team continue to update the AI after release. I could see them taking data from For Glory matches to see strategies that players come up with. I certainly don't think Ness AI was doing DThrow -> Fair -> Fair when the game was first released.

I can assure you he wasn't. The AI evolved a lot offensively. You see Pit/racist pit, ness, sheik, luigi, etc. going for the D-throw to Fair combos but that is the extent i've seen them on the true offense. They also tend to Dsmash on the edge a lot to edgeguard instead of going for it in the air.

Also something that just annoys me so much is the CPU counter characters that just counter and counter again and again. And i'm not talking about spamming, i'm talking about when i go for a hit, they always get the counter. Definitely made me change my approach to those.

Cradily17

What do you think of this hypothetical Smash moveset I came with for Sceptile?

Stats:
Speed: Same as Little Mac
Power: Same as ZSS
Jump speed: Same as Greninja
Grab speed: Moderate to fast
Jump Height: Moderate

Here's a unique gimmick to separate Sceptile from the fighters even more (Synthesis): Each time Sceptile KOs an opponent, he will grow green and lose 10% of damage.

Moves:
Standard Attack: Punches first two hits and slams tail the third (11% damage total)
F-tilt: Tail slam (13% damage)
D-tilt: Lunges foot forward (8% damage)
U-tilt: Upward slice with arm (8% damage)
Dash Attack: Rolls and kicks [think Sonic] (9% damage total)
Forward Smash: Does a double kick (15% damage w/no charge)
Down Smash: Attacks with Leaf Blade hitting both sides [think Robin] (16% damage w/no charge)
Up Smash (first kill move): Upward strike with Leaf Blade [think Shulk] (15% damage w/no charge)
N-air: Spins (7% damage)
F-air: Does a side swipe with arm (9% damage)
B-air: Does a short kick (10% damage)
U-air: Does a flip kick (9% damage)
D-air (meteor): Thrusts Leaf Blade downwards with moderate speed (12% damage)
Grab and Pummel: Repeatedly kicks opponent (think C. Falcon)
F-throw (second kill move): Slices with arm (8% damage)
B-throw: Jumps off opponent and slams with tail (10% damage)
U-throw: Throws opponent upwards and can lead to easy follow-up combos with aerials (9% damage)
D-throw: Stabs opponent with Leaf Blade (11% damage)
Neutral Special: Energy Ball - Charges a light green ball of energy and shoots it out of his mouth [moves a bit slow but has great range and can be used to rack up damage] (7-30% damage depending on charge)
Down Special: Dragon Breath - Releases a potent blast of breath that leaves the opponent stunned [missing with this attack leaves Sceptile wide open and vulnerable but it has excellent range] (2% damage)
Side Special (third and final kill move): Dragon Claw - Slices opponent with super sharp claws [has a small amount of start-up lag but no cool-down lag] (13% damage)
Up Special: Leaf Storm - Spins tail and unleashes a flurry of sharp leaves that propel him in the direction you want [no knockback] (2% damage for each tiny hit)

For Sceptile's Final Smash, I think it would be ideal for him to Mega Evolve and then unleash a powerful Solarbeam attack, sort of like Samus's Zero Laser but green.

Taunts:
Taunt #1: Yells, "Sceptile! Sceptile!" while thrusting body forward.
Taunt #2: Turns the opposite direction and crosses arms.
Taunt #3: Says, "Scep," while crouching down and then yells, "Tile!" after jumping up excitedly

Victory Poses:
Pose #1 (up on D-pad): Shows a spectacular display with Frenzy Plant
Pose #2 (left on D-pad): Yells, "Tile!" while showing a facial expression of joy
Pose #3 (right on D-pad): Nods solemnly

Last edited:

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
Hey, let's discuss a hypothetical moveset for Roy--- OH WAIT he is actually in the game, twice, unlike Sceptile.

All joking aside though, please don't post hypothetical movesets for characters who have no chance. If DLC is leaked and you guys want to discuss movesets for characters who are basically confirmed, go for it, but please don't do it unless there is evidence to suggest they'll be in the game.

And yes, I will be adding this to the first post.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Hey, let's discuss a hypothetical moveset for Roy--- OH WAIT he is actually in the game, twice, unlike Sceptile.

All joking aside though, please don't post hypothetical movesets for characters who have no chance. If DLC is leaked and you guys want to discuss movesets for characters who are basically confirmed, go for it, but please don't do it unless there is evidence to suggest they'll be in the game.

And yes, I will be adding this to the first post.

Look, the ballot isn't closed yet, so you should put that rule into effect after it closes and Nintendo announces the results. At this point of time, nobody really knows who is the lead with the most votes. Only Nintendo and the Smash team know. So, please, don't make rushed movements based on rushed predictions. I for one don't believe K. Rool is the lead. Why? Because not every Smash player is a member in a forum or Smashboards to know what he/she voted.

Right now, every user has every right to speculate on the moveset of a hypothetically possible newcomer, no matter who that is, and that's only fair. So please, remove that rule from effect for now.

Who says that characters like Sceptile don't have a chance? Heck, with what Sakurai has showed us over the years, and with the ballot still active, anything can happen. And this post isn't written by a Sceptile supporter, just generally speaking.

Last edited:
Look, the ballot isn't closed yet, so you should put that rule into effect after it closes and Nintendo announces the results. At this point of time, nobody really knows who is the lead with the most votes. Only Nintendo and the Smash team know. So, please, don't make rushed movements based on rushed predictions. I for one don't believe K. Rool is the lead. Why? Because not every Smash player is a member in a forum or Smashboards to know what he/she voted.

Right now, every user has every right to speculate on the moveset of a hypothetically possible newcomer, no matter who that is, and that's only fair. So please, remove that rule from effect for now.

Who says that characters like Sceptile don't have a chance? Heck, with what Sakurai has showed us over the years, and with the ballot still active, anything can happen. And this post isn't written by a Sceptile supporter, just generally speaking.

You're greatly missing the point.

It's like we're doing unneeded fan fiction and making up false facts in this thread just for the sake of discussion. We could be doing this for an extremely long while and never reach a conclusion.