1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Taodragon

Taodragon Training Anaylst

Good to see Ridley, I know he's caused a lot of back and forth within the fandom, but he was always one of the characters I wanted to see playable so I'm happy he's in.

I can see around 5 other newcomers, being a little generous. Five newcomers I feel would allow for a good amount surprises along the way towards release that people can be excited about and keep their interest while still keeping things within a manageable state for the developers. It also takes into account the possibility of characters like Wolf or Toon Link coming into the picture since some fan favorite newcomers can reuse assets from other characters for ease of implementation while still being very unique.

As for Echo newcomers, I'm still not sure how I feel about Dark Samus being one. She would make a lot of sense to be one since she uses Samus as a base by design, but she also shows that she's a potentially very unique character due to her phazon abilities, so it would be a bit of a waste. I guess if push came to shove I wouldn't mind too much since being an Echo is an easy ticket for her to get access to and I don't think she'd be prioritized otherwise due to her story being done, but I would miss not getting some of those cool moves.

2. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

I think Blood Falcon & Masked Man will probably not happen as echoes, at least. Masked Man has the arm cannon & jetpack and I can't see ignoring those aspects, even if they are removable. Blood Falcon, well, Captain Falcon still has his blood falcon outfit.

I suppose Claus would work as an echo but ehhhh, I think characters might need a bit more popularity to make it in as an echo. Dark Pit & Lucina were both pretty popular which I bet is the real reason why they became echoes in the first place; and obviously Daisy is quite popular herself. This also might be why Alph didn't make the echo cut this time around.

Or not, I guess. We only have 3 echoes to really base anything off of, so rules could be more flexible than we think.

3. Taodragon

In terms of potential Echo characters, I can see Hilda (Zelda), Impa (Sheik), Chrom (Ike), Dark Samus (Samus), Isabelle (Villager), Medusa (Palutena), Octolings (Inklings), Shadow (Sonic), and Ken (Ryu) as potential options. Some of these would have more potential as unique options (like Shadow), but if time and resources were constricted they could forego them and put them in that way.

If we're going by popularity, then I'd only count on Dark Samus, Isabelle, Ken, Shadow, and maybe Chrom, but as said before the rules can easily be more flexible outside of the three we currently have.

Edit: After talking to a friend, I'm throwing in Dixie as a possible option. Diddy lost one of his only tail attacks (the other being a ledge get-up attack), so she's feasible for the role now.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. Vipsoccermaster

Vipsoccermaster Well-Known Member

The number of characters we have (65 or more) and the number of stages we have (likely already 83 or more confirmed by GameXplain), all that content, plus all the modes and music and trophies, everything you can think of, practically for $60 make it look like a complete steal. I mean, for characters alone, that's at a minimum $0.93 each.

5. Grey Wind

Grey Wind Only rescues maidens

Dixie was the first characters who came to my mind as an Echo fighter. She's been requested for a while now, and IIRC was planned for Brawl. I'd be surprised if she didn't make the cut TBH.

6. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I honestly think there will be a total of ten new playable characters in the game not including DLC or Echo. Ridley and the Inklings are the first two. The remaining eight I predict are Decidueye, someone from ARMS, the Rabbids in Mario gear, Simon Belmont, Dixie Kong, Impa, Geno, And K. Rool. All have a decent chance of making it in and here are the reasons why.

Decidueye- It is basically the Greninja of Alola in that Rowlet is picked the most followed by Litten. It would be unique in its fighting style and could be based on its Pokken appearance.

ARMS- A new IP for Nintendo and a popular launch title that still have people doing online battles a year and a half later, it stands to reason the series will get a rep in Smash.

Rabbids- Their crossover game was a huge success and I can see them fitting into Smash while dressed up as Mario and DK gear.

Simon Belmont- Now that Snake is back in, there is no reason Simon won’t be in. The Castlevania games helped define the NES era and those games still hold up to this day. We don’t have anyone like Simon yet.

Dixie Kong- She has come close to making it in three times so I think this will be her debut. She could easily use her ponytail as her main gimmick.

Impa- Impa has a unique aspect to her and she is important to the Zelda series. Hyrulian Warriors showed us what she is capable of.

Geno- I’ve never played Super Mario RPG but given the cult following of the game and Geno and how highly requested he is.

K.Rool- Another highly requested character for Smash, K.Rool would help fill in the villain roster.

As for DLC, I can see us getting Shantae, Shovel Knight, the next FE character, Akuma, Chun Li, someone from Tekken, Zero from Mega Man, Goku, the Contra guys, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Sora, Rikku, Sephiroth, Cecil from FFIV, Kafka from FF VI, And Rayman.

New Pokeball Assists I can see us getting Alolan Exeggcutor, Primarina using Sparkling Aria, Mimikyu, the Tapu using their Z Move, And Smeargle who covers the screen in paint similarly to Bowser Jr’s Final Smash And it is difficult to see what is happening for a bit.

Echo characters I see Bayonetta getting Jeanne since she is more distinctive looking than Rosa and Rosa is just an older Bayonetta, the Koopalings but with a different Final Smash, Ken, and possibly Evil Ryu.

7. Rakurai

Rakurai Well-Known Member

I really love the new visual effects on Ness and Lucas' PSI attacks that imitate how they looked in their games.

The way G&W now shapeshifts to match his appearance in the source game for each of his attacks is an even better touch and makes me eager to pick him up again.

8. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

There's plenty of reason. I don't think one Konami character automatically begets others, any more than any of the other third-party characters made it so that "there is no reason" other Sega/Namco/Capcom/Square characters won't be in. Snake, especially, is an outlier, because he was added to Brawl on the basis of a personal request between individuals, and returns on the basis of "every Smash character ever."

I think expectations as to additional playable characters need to be lowered considerably, potential Echoes notwithstanding. I certainly don't think we're getting another eight yet-unrevealed characters, at any rate.

9. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

Literally all of these but the next FE character are extremely unlikely for good reason

10. Zora

Zora Who dies first?

My own suspicion is that Sakurai focused on veterans instead of newcomers precisely because the amount of 'deserving' newcomers is small. Among first party, the only characters who seem worth shortlisting are token reps from new Switch games, e.g. Rex, ARMS character, or FE3H lord. Given the whole 65 characters shown, 66 characters implied, I'd be unfazed if there is only one more unrevealed (non-DLC) character; we're already at the bottom of the barrel of shoe-in reps.

So I'm doubly puzzled why we're going the whole nine yards and speculating about third parties when I'm not even sure we'll exhaust even first party reps.

Or to put it directly, if you're honestly, unironically, expecting someone like Simon Belmont I think you're already expecting too much.

11. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

I suspect it has as much to do with the fact that it's slightly less work to upscale, tweak and polish existing characters than to add entirely new ones, and that may have mattered a great deal with this game's relatively protracted development cycle in comparison to its two predecessors.

But as for the rest of what you said, I agree. We absolutely do come to a point where the vast majority of deserving characters are either in, or are represented in secondary fashion. One might argue that we're at that point or very near to it, though there's slightly more subjectivity to that. ARMS is the only franchise I'm surprised isn't represented at all (yet?).

12. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

I don't doubt this game won't have DLC, so there's that.

13. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

I'm honestly just expecting >10 newcomers, including any Echoes.

With the announcement of Ridley + Daisy, it definitely seems like the newcomers are going to be popular picks from the community + a few characters that have made their debut after 2014/2015.

So basically characters like King K. Rool and Dixie Kong(not Waluigi still lmao) or stuff like a new Pokemon, ARMs character, and a XC2 newcomer.

I was hoping the newcomers would be focused more on the series that have yet to be represented, but I'm totally okay with this

14. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

I wonder if we'll even get a "wait THEM?" character at all this go around. You know, like Mr G&W, ROB & Wii Fit Trainer

Even Chorus Kids (or any other rhythm heaven character) feels like they'd get passed on for other, more popular or recent fighters.

15. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom @JohanSSB4 Twitter

Mike Jones Strikes In!

At this point even Isaac could count, out of pure irony.

16. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

As time moves on I feel like...
    ok so typically smash selection is like this:
    -Your mario, link...you know, the big stars. Melee was almost entirely doing this (Bowser! Peach! Zelda! etc) and Brawl too (Diddy, Wario, Metaknight, etc). As such this has sort of simmered down, beyond blips like Ridley
    -Notable, recent stars that occurred between the last game and the planning for the next one. Smash 4 was all over this, but Brawl got in on it too.
    -The retro picks, typically specifying the meaty NES era. Some minor overlap with...
    -The whaaaat pick. G&W, Wii Fit Trainer. The oddball pick you would have never seen coming.

But this means there's an ever growing gulf of possible picks that will probably always be passed over. I'm not a big Isaac fan, but he's kind of what I'm talking about. or even things like Lip, advance wars, and well lets be real most assist trophy picks. You know that category smash trophies usually have that's just a dumping ground of assorted series old (but not retro!) and new (but not notably new). Their series may be more or less dead or under the radar, but it'd be kinda neat to start pulling from those.

But also unless sakurai or whoeever works their magic again we'll probably get a culling next game and at that point you stick to your big guns i guess

17. Taodragon

Same, especially now with Tropical Freeze in play.

Well it is Sakurai, he's not been one to add exclusively popular characters. So at least one surprise character mixed in is possible even if the focus is fan favorites.

Kirby Dragons likes this.
  18. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

I think we'll get eight more newcomers, including Impa, Celica, Decidueye, Rexx from Xenoblade 2 and Spring Man from ARMS.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  19. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

I don't imagine we get any non-echo FE characters at this point unless they throw in the main character from the new game. Sakurai has already commented on how many FE characters there are, and given we already saw the more popular Lyn is still an Assist Trophy, I wouldn't expect much more from FE.

Chrom as an Ike echo would still be a funny one that I'd like to see but otherwise I've got no expectations for FE characters.

20. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

We also get newcomers from lesser known games. Marth/Roy in Melee, Olimar in Brawl, and Shulk in 3DS/Wii U.

We always get at least two new clone(or Echo w/e) characters at least each time it seems. Melee had a bunch but after that it kinda just became two new clones. Toon Link/Wolf in Brawl.(Wouldn't call Lucas an outright clone tbh) Lucina/Dark Pit in Wii U/3DS

Ofc these could just be coincidences, but they seem like patterns. Though, patterns usually break eventually sooo...

IF they do stick to their usual patterns then we have like at least a few spots guaranteed.

-Retro Character
    -Shock Character
    -'Echo Characters'
    -Lesser Known Newcomer

Really have no clue what a new retro character could be. Takamaru and Sukapon were confirmed as Assists. I mean there's still stuff like Tamagon, Devil, Bubbles, or Prince of Sable I guess. Even Excitebiker, as I don't recall him being confirmed as an assist yet.
    'Shock' Character though? Could really be anything. Obviously something we wouldn't really think of so there's not much speculation I can do here. Maybe Ridley was supposed to be the Shock Character bc of what we'd heard about the reasoning behind him not being playable in previous entries.
    We already have Daisy as a new Echo, so I'm guessing we'll see at least one more. I would've guessed Alph, but he seems to be an alt of Olimar again. People think that Dark Samus or Impa could possibly be new Echo Fighters because their color swaps were strangely removed from Samus and Sheik's costumes.
    As for a newcomer from a game that isn't as widely known as the others represented currently. Could really be anything from Chibi-Robo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Rhythm Heaven, Wonderful 101, to even something like Codename STEAM.