1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Most of those characters weren't least expected, though.

Jigglypuff was at the height of its popularity at the time Smash Bros. 64 was released. Fire Emblem was (and still is) huge in Japan, which is why Marth and Roy got in. Daisy was expected by many, as clonesare common in Smash. Ridley was demanded by many, and Sakurai finally answered. Pokémon Trainer is based on the Kanto starters, all of which are loved, so no surprise either of them got in. Rosalina was the star of the most recent Super Mario game at that time, so there really wasn't any surprise to her inclusion.

It's clear Sakurai prefers more popular and recognizable characters than cult favorites or otherwise lesser known, because the fan response is better.

2. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

You know thinking on it, I could see trying to leverage the number introduced theme.
    Something like...
    Smash 64 Starters (Original 8)
    Smash 64 Secrets (4)
    Melee Starters (starting new 5) + Daisy?
    Melee Secrets (8) + Lucina?
    Brawl Starters (starting new 12) + Dark Pit?
    Brawl Secrets (6)
    Smash 4 Starter (10...ish)
    Smash 4 Secrets (4...ish)
    Smash 4 DLC (4)
    Ultimate New (however many)

I kind of like this, actually, because you get nice peaks and valleys. A big start, a brief lull, then go up & down, with the Brawl hump in the middle and a brief spike towards the end.

I think Daisy, Lucina & Dark Pit might be lumped in with Peach, Marth & Pit in this scenario since echoes are right next to their originals rather than their own numbers or appearences.
    As for my Smash 4 numbers being iffy it's for 2 reasons. First is Bowser Jr is unlockable only in the 3DS version (this is the one I went with) and second is because of the Miis. I think they might get counted this go around since they're being treated more normally thus far, but I don't know if you'd consider them unlockable per say and how fighting them would work (all 3? just one?)

For reference the games flirt with this in Brawl & Smash 4's event modes. For Brawl:
    All-Star Regulars: the original 8
    All-Star Battle x1: 10 of the 12 Brawl newcomers. Technically the game lists it as 8 since Pokemon trainer is here.
    All-Star Battle Melee: Melee's newcomers that made it into Brawl. Secrets & starters are lumped together.
    All-Star Semifinal Regulars: The original secret 4
    All Star Battle X2: The remaining brawl Newcomers. All the secret characters + Ike & dedede. Done so there was an 8 & 8 split, I guesss?

For Smash Wii U:
    All-Star Battle Regulars: The original 8
    All-Star Battle Melee: The returning Melee newcomers, starters & secrets together, except for Dr. Mario
    All-Star Battle Brawl: The returning Brawl newcomers, starts & secrets together, except for Toon Link, ROB & Sonic.
    All-Star Battle Secrets: The original 4 secrets, Dr. Mario, Toon Link, ROB & Sonic.
    New Challengers 1: An assortment of 8 characters
    New Challengers 2: The other 8 characters. No real rhyme or reason to the selection of this or the previous one
    In case you couldn't tell, the theme here was batches of 8 characters except brawl, which had 10.

3. Rakurai

Rakurai Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what the Classic mode boss is going to be this time around.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Master Core again, but I'd prefer an additional, extra-tough boss fight as opposed to a pace-breaking platformer this time around.

4. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria Shiny hunter

Maybe Master Core will still be there, but maybe there will be another form waiting inside, which is tougher than Master Core. In the first three entries of Smash, it was only Master Hand and Crazy Hand, so it wouldn't be too surprising if it's only the two that appear. But they can go with Master Core to have a Smash 4 component in Smash Ultimate.

5. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

Surprisingly, most final smashes have been seen of the characters revealed so far. I compiled a list of unknown Final Smashes.

1. Yoshi
    2. Luigi
    3. Captain Falcon
    4. Peach
    5. Daisy
    6. Young Link
    7. Meta Knight
    8. Diddy Kong
    9. Lucario
    10. Wii Fit Trainer
    11. Greninja
    12. Mii Brawler
    13. Mii Swordfighter
    14. Mii Gunner
    15. Robin
    16. Duck Hunt

Wolf is heavily hinted to be like Fox and Falco's in his individual trailer, and Sheik's has been found out by someone from the demo (and it is different). If anybody should or shouldn't be on this list, let me know.

Edit: Removed Rosalina and Toon Link, since they were on the list by mistake.

Edit (again): Dark Pit was removed from the list since one of his pictures indicates that he has the staff again (thanks R_N).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  6. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

So all Final Smashes are one-hit shenanigans instead of there being different ones from one another.

I don't know how to feel about this. I liked the potential of messing around using some of the Final Smashes, but I guess the casual scene would be a bit too weird if some Final Smashes were better (transformation ones) than others (the one-hit deals).

[​IMG]

I can't do this for sure anymore! Unless I set a bunker in the previous game.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  7. Derald Snyder

Derald Snyder Well-Known Member

Well, I'm definitely going to get this game. Part of me wishes there was a Xenoblade 2 rep, but it's not a deal-breaker.
    I have a feeling that Hilda from A Link Between Worlds will be Zelda's Echo Fighter, though.

8. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

Dark Pit has his staff in his artwork and it's like half the reason he got a slot in the first place, so I imagine he'll still have his one & done blast.

9. Auraninja

Plus, there is a picture where he is glowing with the staff, so thanks.

10. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

Some characters should have celebratory poses when they summon a Pokemon of a certain type. Like the Ice Climbers can celebrate summoning an Ice-type (or Suicune).

11. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

No, I don't think that makes any sense.

Kirby Dragons and Ask like this.
  12. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom @JohanSSB4 Twitter

Robin's Final Smash being absent is an oddity. You'd think they'd have his Chrom Final Smash front and center in screenshots or his trailer so speculation wouldn't kick off, but here we are.

13. Derald Snyder

Derald Snyder Well-Known Member

And now comes the arguing about whether Chrom will be an Echo Fighter for Ike or not...

14. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

Naaaah. He'll be an Echo Fighter of Lucina, who is an Echo Fighter of Marth.

But probably more of an Echo Fighter of Roy. Ike is meant to be the bulky one, but Chrom doesn't strike me as a bulky fighter.

15. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

He's no more or less bulky than PoR Ike

Chrom was, from a design point, meant to be Ike-Like to begin with. And Viridi razzs him about just being a "carbon copy" of Ike

16. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

The ones that make me go "I wonder why they weren't shown" were Robin, Duck Hunt, and Captain Falcon tbh.

Captain Falcon and Duck Hunt's really have no reason to change or stay a secret, so I'm curious as to why they didn't show them.

Robin's intrigues me. Either it didn't change and was oddly left out for no reason like the above two, or they did remove Chrom from it bc he may be a new Echo fighter? I mean it wouldn't surprise me, he was pretty hyped up due to the Gematsu leak and people were quite disappointed he wasn't playable. Then again it'd be strange to have 3 Awakening characters with two being Echoes. ONE of the possibilities I hope becomes reality is they changed his Final Smash completely to include Grima instead. That'd be amazing.

Other than that the others are probably:
    1. Yoshi: Changed. Probably a stampede of Yoshi? Kinda like in the Melee cinematic thing.
    2. Luigi: Changed a bit. I doubt it's completely different, but I doubt it's the same exact thing. Probably more cinematic is all.
    3. Peach: Changed. I doubt it's the same one, but I have no clue what it could be.
    5. Daisy: Probably going to be a copy of Peach's.
    6. Young Link: Might be something including the Ocarina. I doubt it would be anything else.
    7. Meta Knight: Probably changed to include his ship. Galaxia Darkness was pretty meh despite having a pretty cool name.
    8. Diddy Kong: Changed. Either receiving the Wario/Bowser treatment or it's changing entirely. My guess is he's getting the Wario/Bowser treatment. Either being a cinematic Final Smash or a more straight to the punch(no pun intended) like Bowser's.
    9. Lucario: Changed. Probably reverting back to Aura Storm but with Mega Lucario transformation as well.
    10. Wii Fit Trainer: Not sure here. It was an odd Final Smash but there's not much else you can do with a yoga teacher.
    11. Greninja: Changed. Likely going to include Ash-Greninja and probably some mega Water Shuriken thing. Gonna miss Night Slash, it was really cool and pretty.
    12. Mii Fighters: I doubt they changed, they were just copies of other Final Smashes, just like basically all the Mii Fighters' abilities. If they change then I'll be surprised tbh.

17. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

I think Yoshi will change to the mega egg or whatever it was called in New Yoshi's Island. Probably bounce around the screen abit.

I could see Captain Falcon's being updated in the same way Shulk, Ness & Lucas were: Cameos! Instead of just Cap in his Blue Falcon running over the opponent, a ton of racers do.

Young Link...honestly I think he'd just get the non-toony variant on Triforce Slash. I mean he should get a Fierce Deity attack, but considering this YL is from oot, not MM, I doubt it.

Metaknight did get a super attack to use in RObobot (in addition to Galacta Darkness) where he calls in his crew. Plus: more cameos!

18. Auraninja

Regular Link does have the Fiery Diety outfit, so that could potentially hamper Young Link's chances of getting that Final Smash.

19. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

not necessarily, there's enough differences in the Fierce Deity that they could make a new model for it. Link just gets the face mask, hat & coloring, but not the armor and sword.
    They could probably reference the MM3D or even Hyrule Warriors model for it to cut on dev time if thye really needed to.

I mean, it's all probably moot anyway but Link having a costume is not the reason why.

20. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

i don't even know how the basic triforce slash didn't actually come to mind at all

but

yeah that's probably likely