• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smashing with Sketch! The Fierce Poké-Ping Pong Match!! (1009)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Smashing with Sketch! The Fierce Poké-Ping Pong Match!! (1009)

Smashing with Sketch! The Fierce Poké-Ping Pong Match!!

As part of their Pokémon School campaign, Ash & co. play Poké-Ping Pong, a game of Ping Pong with your Pokémon, taught by Ilima. While playing, they learn Ilima is a skilled player and is set to enter a tournament soon. Ash & Co. decide to go watch the tournament, but they soon learn that a player that defeated Ilima in a prior tournament will also be taking part. Will Ilima be able to win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Totally getting a different feeling here compared to DP man. Back then, using a move was illegal in Ping Pong, and here, even using a Z-move during Ping Pong is legal.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It felt disappointing that Ash and his classmates didn't participate and it seemed imminent that Ilima was going to win the tournament all the time, which wasn't really suspenseful at all, and also all matches from the 2nd round to the semifinals got cut too. It was good to see Counter being used for the first time in SM and even better, Sketch made its debut in the anime, although because it was used multiple times in fairly quick succession, its use was quite intriguing. Yet I also felt that Ilima's fangirls started to get annoying with the repeated 'Go, go, Ilima-sama! Ike ike Ilima-sama!' and already treating Ilima like a god, which he already is kinda like because he is flawless.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Girl power! That Lana/Kiawe showdown was tense af

Ilima is gone and didn't care much, should have been more than celebrity promotion considering they did some promotion in SM019 with Abareru-kun(?).

Onwards I guess. Ash is a silly billy for failing hard. At least Mallow got to win something!

Darthlord7

Explorer
Well the episode's first half was enjoyable but as expected I lost interest once the tournament started since no one was going to participate except Ilima. Goodbye Ilima, you won't be missed.

So, according to Bulbapedia, Illima's back in Kalos (don't quote because some mods get very sensitive over the littlest of things) G̶e̶n̶ ̶6̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶r̶m̶e̶d̶? I wonder if he'll back (I doubt it unless it's a cameo) Episode was quite boring-I'd even say its SM's worst filler. Entire episode felt like some overexaggerated high school drama. Yea, seeing Ash & co. interested in Ping Pong was nice but that's to be expected. I don't mind Illima's character or his pair of focused episodes, but they could've made a better filler imho

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Well to start, the first 3 Ping Pong bouts between Mallow/Ash, Lillie/Sophocles, Kiawe/Lana were enjoyable in a sense, but to make girls win in all 3 cases and not letting a single guy win was sort of one-sided. Then again watching Ash getting embarassed like that.....it somewhat got to my nerves TBH. Still Lillie vs Sophocles and Kiawe vs Lana were enjoyable in their own way.

Regarding the tournament, it was a bit unfair to give TR the short end of the stick considering they were the only known people participating in the tournament apart from Ilima. And the whole tournament upto the finals had to be skipped over as well.

That Mienfoo trainer, Ilima's main opponent in the League was a big positive of the episode, the only guy in this episode who's actions would keep the viewers engaged with his actions. The rivalry between Ilima and that guy in this episode was the most intriguing part of this episode. That guy seemed to have a personality like Paul, who criticizes his Pokemon for each and every mishaps they make, like he did with his Mienfoo always. I liked that he gave Ilima a tough time in the match, though he eventually lost, because after all the fangirling of Ilima in this episode by his obsessive fans in this episode annoyed me as always.

Overall, a decent, though not a great episode. 6/10.

Last edited:

Darthlord7

Explorer
Well to start, the first 3 Ping Pong bouts between Mallow/Ash, Lillie/Sophocles, Kiawe/Lana were enjoyable in a sense, but to make girls win in all 3 cases and not letting a single guy win was sort of one-sided.

Actually, I think Lana lost because the ball didn't hit the table first so it was out. She mentioned that herself too I think.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Actually, I think Lana lost because the ball didn't hit the table first so it was out. She mentioned that herself too I think.

Really? Oh well. While I was watching it, an YouTube comment said: 'All 3 girls won', so I guess that's why I got mistaken. :)

But Kiawe and Marowak surely did seem like losers getting drenched like that by Hydro Vortex. :p

Last edited:

Darthlord7

Explorer
Really? Oh well. While I watching it an YouTube comment said: 'All 3 girls won', so I guess that's why I got mistaken. :)

But Kiawe and Marowak surely did seem like losers getting drenched like that by Hydro Vortex. :p

Well they looked powerless there so you can say that it was bittersweet win for them. :p

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
So does this ep matter at all or can I skip it? Because it looks like filler to me.

It is definitely filler because none of the Pokémon of the main cast in this episode haven't developed anything in this episode and as expected, a great degree of focus was placed on Ilima and his Smeargle, whom have made a guest appearance in this episode. At least Sketch debuted but other than that, there's nothing really important to take note of.

SH65

Victory Over All!
It is definitely filler because none of the Pokémon of the main cast in this episode haven't developed anything in this episode and as expected, a great degree of focus was placed on Ilima and his Smeargle, whom have made a guest appearance in this episode. At least Sketch debuted but other than that, there's nothing really important to take note of.

Well I don't care about Ilima and Smeargle so skip for me. :p

Akkipeddi

Materia Hunter
Seriously Ash, you've played Ping-pong back in DP, how stupid do you have to be to not get what Ilima is saying? Also, I'm getting sick and tired of all the exaggerated excitement that Ash shows and being used as a slapstick device. Also, why are the Pokémon allowed to use moves which can give then unfair benefits (as seen with Steenee). DP did this way better by not allowing the Pokémon to use any moves.
Also, that Lillie vs Sophocles match was cringe as heck. Only the Kiawe vs Lana was remotely interesting.

So the second half is even worse than the already dreadful first half since all the classmates are mere spectators. Also, I've loved the Bewear gag most of the times, but now it's just getting irritating. It stopped Team Rocket for no reason, the one time they were actually playing fair. Also, the constant fangirls of Ilima just got on my nerves.

So, Ilima's going back to Kalos? Good riddance, for you will definitely not be missed (hoping you run into a certain OP Charizard that blasts you into oblivion).

Also dissapointed that there as no reference to Ambipom, given that this was great opportunity to do so.

Overall, I give this episode 3/10. It was a terrible filler, and might actually rank alongside SM006, SM035, SM038, SM058 and SM065 as one of my least favorite episodes of this series

SH65

Victory Over All!
Seriously Ash, you've played Ping-pong back in DP, how stupid do you have to be to not get what Ilima is saying? Also, I'm getting sick and tired of all the exaggerated excitement that Ash shows and being used as a slapstick device. Also, why are the Pokémon allowed to use moves which can give then unfair benefits (as seen with Steenee). DP did this way better by not allowing the Pokémon to use any moves.
Also, that Lillie vs Sophocles match was cringe as heck. Only the Kiawe vs Lana was remotely interesting.

So the second half is even worse than the already dreadful first half since all the classmates are mere spectators. Also, I've loved the Bewear gag most of the times, but now it's just getting irritating. It stopped Team Rocket for no reason, the one time they were actually playing fair. Also, the constant fangirls of Ilima just got on my nerves.

So, Ilima's going back to Kalos? Good riddance, for you will definitely not be missed (hoping you run into a certain OP Charizard that blasts you into oblivion).

Also dissapointed that there as no reference to Ambipom, given that this was great opportunity to do so.

Overall, I give this episode 3/10. It was a terrible filler, and might actually rank alongside SM006, SM035, SM038, SM058 and SM065 as one of my least favorite episodes of this series

I hate how SM keeps using Ash for slapstick and making him look like a joke outside of battles.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Obviously Alola's version of Poké-Ping-Pong is different than Sinnoh's, with different rules. Alola's version allows Pokémon to use moves, while Sinnoh's does not. Pokémon being able to use attacking moves didn't bother me, but there should have been rules regarding moves like Sweet Scent that affect the opponent's ability to play. Steenee using Sweet Scent to distract Pikachu was a cheap way for Mallow to win, and she should have been disqualified for that.

I don't always mind Ash being a bit of a buttmonkey and failing at some sports, but this time, there was no excuse. Ash has played Ping-Pong before, so even if the rules were slightly different, there was no reason for him to not understand Ilima's explanation or for him and Pikachu to be so bad at hitting the ball. His loss against Mallow was a little more understandable, due to Steenee's Sweet Scent, but I would have preferred he lost to her due to her skill, not due to a cheap technique like Sweet Scent.

The other matches were more interesting. Lillie vs. Sophocles was kind of funny just because of how awkward the two of them were. Lana vs. Kiawe was funny because of how passionate and into it the two of them were.

This is probably the first time I did not like Bewear swooping in and collecting Team Rocket, at least not when it did. Granted, they were cheating, with Meowth using a fake coin to attempt to blind Ilima and Smeargle (even though it backfired), but Jessie and Wobbuffet were the only competitors aside from Ilima who were familiar to the audience, so it would have been nice to see them for at least a few minutes before Bewear intervened.

The Mienshao Trainer (Dragon Ikari, I believe was his name?) was a little over the top. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone gave him a talking-to about yelling at his poor Mienshao every time it missed the ball.

Did anyone else catch the reference to Gendo Ikari of Neon Genesis Evangelion? That reference had to be in there for the older fans, because I doubt many of the target audience have seen that anime.

Rapiido

No reference to Dawn? or Ambipom?
Agreeing with the slapstick Ash stuff..... I do miss somewhat-not-idiotic-Ash from the previous sagas...
Also that it took the entire episode to see what Ilima's rival actually looked like without overdramatic anime lines.....

lemoncatpower

Cynical optimist
Skip! Well I just used the mouse to skim through the scenes.... WOW like can they not think of anything better? Hardly watchable.

satopi

Go’s Scizor needs to Hassam better episodes:/
The ping pong matches were pretty intense! I loved how Suiren used the same trick that Kiawe pulled in the beginning. It was also funny seeing Pikachu screw up by hitting Ash with Iron Tail 2 times on accident. I didn't really care too much over the Ilima matches. The TRio were pretty smart to use lighting to blind him which in return, backfired on them as well. I laughed a bit seeing Jessie's wig fall down. Their disguise were one of the best disguises to date!

The pisode was ok. It was kind of boring. Nothing really happened besides everyone having fun. I did feel kind of bad for the Meinshao. The Pokémon nudging after the match was cute.