• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smashing with Sketch! The Fierce Poké-Ping Pong Match!! (1009)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I don't have an obsession. In fact, don't even give this kid one. I only say that just to match the events of the games and make things interesting for once. But alas.
Either way, how does it level Ilima with Korrina?

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I'm still not over the terrible memory of what happened last time ping-pong was played on this show. But it's nice to see how Ash, despite not remembering the game fully, has a faint memory of playing it before. Even the JP version forgot about that (yet another thing to add to the ever-growing list of **** wrong with that version).

I'm always happy to see a Pokemon on my favorite of each type chart make an appearance in the show. Case in point: Mienshao, my favorite fighting-type. But man, I don't approve of making him into a total joke of an opponent. I mean, I wouldn't have wanted him and his dickhead trainer to win, but at least put up an actually effortful fight.

I can tell whoever voiced Ikari was having the time of his life. Definitely one of the most enjoyably loud performances all season. See, if the JP VAs could act like that (that is, not being indiscriminately loud or indiscriminately quiet), that's be a serious problem with it solved.

Ilima was better in the games, I must say. The show just has him in a usual life coach-like role, and it really didn't work out.

It's weird. I'd normally complain about this show using dramatic music for something not serious, but somehow, this episode pulled it off on the Lillie vs Sophocles match. Even the retention of the SM Trainer Battle theme was a good choice (though that theme's not as serious-sounding as the aforementioned track). But then...that bit of the Totem Battle theme had to break the winning streak... Damn it, Mima. And damn it, Gopal. Thankfully it got better in the final match.

This was a very fun one, all things considered, and a good one to end the summer block on. Next week, the dub schedule is back to Saturday mornings.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Of course Ash is a moron every time he tries to do something. This isn't his episode.

Dear god, this episode was baaaaaaaad (besides the epic Kiawe VS. Lana portion). Of all the things Ilima could have left on a good note, it was this? Fighting Korrina's Evil Uncle (I mean, that eyebrow guy even had a Fighting-type) who was absolutely made an *** until the end?

Good luck to Ilima-senpai at Kalos. He's in luck that he doesn't have to worry about overpowered Mega Evolutions.

(Oh, hey. I'm all caught up at last.)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Remix2 said:
So th people working on the anime talk about how amazing and exciting that they have a famous actor playing as Ilima for two episode and the end result of it is a bland character and two episode that are at best forgottable.

While I got nothing out of seeing Ilima's antics myself, I feel like die-hard fans of his seiyuu probably enjoyed him since he was the most noteworthy guest star in recent years.

Vipsoccermaster

This episode was mediocre. Ping-pong as a sport was not entertaining to watch. However, the Lana/Popplio VS. Kiawe/Alolan Marowak match was an excellent match, and the only match good to see. Ikari has some real issues on treating his Mienshao. I do not like his attitude at all.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This episode was mediocre. Ping-pong as a sport was not entertaining to watch. However, the Lana/Popplio VS. Kiawe/Alolan Marowak match was an excellent match, and the only match good to see. Ikari has some real issues on treating his Mienshao. I do not like his attitude at all.
How? I thought the exaggerated actions of the players hitting the ping-pong balls, especially when there was a Z-Move spin to it, made it more entertaining to watch at least. But I did like Mienshao's eventual reaction to its bad treatment from Ikari.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Vipsoccermaster said:
This episode was mediocre. Ping-pong as a sport was not entertaining to watch.

It's a pretty bland sport in my opinion yet it's popular in Asian countries, so I get why we had this episode (and the Eteboth episode from Shinou) based on this activity.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Poke ping pong looks fun! I thought Jessies disguise this time around was very good. I really could not tell who it was for a couple of minutes before I saw other members of Team Rocket and she said something.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan