• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smeargle Lead

MidnightTheMightyena

Money for nothing
I've decided to try and get into competitive battling, so here's a team I created for the OU environment;

Team At A Glance
;235; ;272; ;373; ;248; ;136; ;260;​

Smeargle: Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 4Hp/252Atk/252Sp
Moves:
Agility
Extremespeed
Spore
Endeavor

A surprisingly successful lead, can be used a number of ways depending on the lead the opponent starts with. Faster pokemon usually dish out a powerful move to start to tear down smeargle, which leaves me with 1 hp, in this situation I would use spore to put them to sleep, then using endeavor+extremespeed the next two turns. If the starting foe is slower, I use agility to increase my speed for later opponents that would normally be faster, then using the spore+endeavor+extremespeed combo to knock them out, then usually getting at least one hit on the next opponent. Unfortunately as mentioned before this set has plenty of downfalls, the more noteworthy being weather, priority moves, pokemon holding sleep preventing items and ghosts. In which case I encounter ghosts, I simply use spore and switch to an appropriate counter.

Ludicolo: Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Evs: 252Hp/76SpA/108SpD
Moves:
Ice Beam
Energy Ball
Leech Seed
Protect/Surf

A good solid pokemon that can stall and take a number of hits pretty well, it helps cover what would be a nasty mixpert weakness. This pokemon also helps out with dragons like salamence and latias, as well as some grounds and other waters of which most fail to do anything at all to it.

Salamence: Life Orb
Nature: Naïve
Evs: 80Atk/200SpA/228Sp
Moves:
Earthquake
Crunch
Flamethrower
Draco Meteor

A mixmence, with some variation I made for it to fit well into my team. I’ve added crunch for the ghosts that smeargle can’t take care of and pushed some of the Evs into speed since most of my team lacks fast pokemon. Flamethrower is there for pesky steals and earthquake provides more coverage.

Tyranitar: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 200Hp/252Atk/58Def
Moves:
Earthquake/ Pursuit
Stone Edge
Crunch
Fire Punch

More bulk then normal CB tyranitar to attempt to survive more hits, originally an idea to counter gyarados, but changed due to my first raters opinion, so fire punch is now in place of thunder punch. Aside from the afore mentioned, tyranitars main purpose is to sweep.

Flareon: Choice Scarf
Nature: Naïve
Evs: 166Atk/92SpA/252Sp
Moves:
Fire Blast
Quick Attack
Shadow Ball/Hp Grass
Superpower

A pokemon I use as a revenge killer that has done surprisingly well in this team. By all means, this is another pokemon that greatly lacks any real speed or power and could be replaced easily for something much better, but I enjoy using this guy and find his moves and typing to be beneficial to the team. As I mentioned, Flareon works well as a revenge killer with quick attack and is also helpful in tearing down walls like blissey and skarmory. I may change this pokemon to Jolteon, as I lack a good counter to gyarados and some other water types.

Swampert: Leftovers
Nature: Brave
Evs: 240Hp/220Def/48SpA
Moves:
Earthquake
Curse
Waterfall
Ice Beam

A sort of mixcursepert. This guy is a beast in most battles and takes hits with relative ease, I chose brave instead of relaxed for harder hits. I will occasionally use this guy as a lead because he can handle pretty much anything that smeargle can’t, aside from most ghosts. Not much to say except swampert is essentially the physical wall of my team.

Overall this team is an attempt to break away from most standard OU teams, I won't say this team is good, and I don't win every battle, but I find it works quite well and has potential while being somewhat unique, good or bad thing.

EDIT:

I may as well post the Jolteon that could replace Flareon;

Jolteon: Wise Glasses
Nature: Timid
Evs: 4Hp/252SpA/252Sp
Moves:
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Shadow Ball
HP Ice/ Signal Beam

Last edited:

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
I hope you realize Thunderpunch is absolutely pointless on Tyranitar, and that it is a god awful check against Gyarados, as being hit for super-effective by it's STAB after an Attack boost isn't what checks are made of.

Fire Punch please, as Scizor is everywhere. Also CBTyranitar with no Pursuit isn't very good/useful Tyranitar in my opinion.

EDIT: Ludicolo doesn't work without Rain, it needs it. Use Celebi instead as it does the whole walling/ stalling job infinitely better, and counters Gyarados for you at the same time.

Last edited: