1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

So are Pokegirls just not returning anymore?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Sham

Sham So proud of you

At least in the main series? Iris didn’t appear and it’s pretty clear Serena ain’t coming back at this point. I wonder what made them decide not to let previous Pokegirl come back. Of course SM is in it’s own odd category where Misty returned. I’ve seen some people contribute XY’s continuity being a reason why Iris didn’t appear and Misty being in SM was the reason why Serena didn’t come back. All speculation of course.

janejane6178 and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ "Christina"

I think they're done with those; it's probably a lot easier for the writers to not bring them back since they love their filler episodes so much and would rather write those instead.

3. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko 62 Days Until SwSh!!! :D

I wonder if Serena's lack of a return is, at least in part, due to them not wanting to have to bring up Amourshipping again.

4. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I thought they could tone down the Amourshipping craze a little bit if they made her special episode and have her interacting with other Pokegirls, but nope.

Anyways, they should have stick with the traditions after BW. I thought the decisions they made from the recent series like Iris not appearing in XY, Serena not appearing SM & doesn't have a special, just alienate the fanbase even further imo. I like to see the Pokegirls being treated equally, regardless if I like them or not.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  5. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I don't know why the old female companions don't show up anymore with the exception of Kasumi. With Iris I thought it might've been an issue with her unpopularity among the fanbase as a whole, but Serena didn't return either despite her being generally well received by most fans. So I have no idea what the writers are thinking.

janejane6178 and MockingJ like this.
  6. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

There's always the chance they'll show up in the specials, although going by the XY specials, Clemont will show up in Alola for some reason.

MockingJ likes this.
  7. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

I don't think of it as a big loss since Misty, May and Dawn's returns didn't feel all that special to me. Iris at least got her own special episode so I think only Serena deserved to return anyways.

Leonhart likes this.
  8. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

As long as I am concerned Pokegirls only returned due to advertising. I think they'll return as long as anything big will require to be advertised in the franchise.

Lunalah and Leonhart like this.
  9. Revolver Furious Dragon

Revolver Furious Dragon Well-Known Member

Maybe they just couldn't think of a good reason to have Serena in alola but I don't think there gone for good.

I could see Lillie making in appearance in galar for an episode or two. And I think dawn's a certainty to reappear if we ever get dpp remakes

Lunalah and MockingJ like this.
  10. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I can see how advertising would justify some of the old companions' returns such as in cases like Takeshi and Kasumi's second return in SM, because they indirectly promoted the Kanto remakes. But I don't see how Kasumi's first comeback in AG for instance advertised anything major since all she got were two episodes that had nothing to do with the rest of the plot of the Houen saga and were almost fillers.

Moonlight Starlight and MockingJ like this.
  11. Sham

Sham So proud of you

The possible reason that would be was Misty’s cameo was four months before FRLG was released... so maybe early promotion?

janejane6178 and Bortgreen like this.
  12. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

What about May in DP or Dawn in BW?

MockingJ likes this.
  13. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

I think Misty, May and Dawn’s cameos weren’t necessarily for promotion, they were probably just keeping up the tradition of the previous companion appearing but now the cast has grown so large with no end in sight, they probably think it’s easier for newer fans to not bring back older companions.

MockingJ and Leonhart like this.
  14. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

Plus didn’t they get cameos in ICY to at least show they didn’t forget about them?

MockingJ and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  15. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

That movie wasn't canon though, so most fans don't count any of the character cameos from that movie when they talk about characters showing up again.

MockingJ likes this.
  16. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Cuz the writers dont know how to give equal love to their characters I guess.

LilligantLewis, Lunalah and MockingJ like this.
  17. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

They're probably limited to specials now like the previous male companions have been

18. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

If that were the case, I would've expected Serena to have gotten a special by now. But she's been missing-in-action since the XY&Z saga ended with no explanation for her lack of a comeback mini-arc or special episode.

janejane6178 and MockingJ like this.
  19. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

I meant the post region specials like Brock/Cilan, Cilan/Clemont, etc
    Serena's a more fitting candidate to meet one of the current characters anyways than Clemont, he doesn't really have a reason to leave Kalos.

LilligantLewis and MockingJ like this.
  20. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

My point was that even when Citron got his own post-XY special, the writers didn't feel the need to give Serena one as well, which makes it seem unlikely that she'll make an appearance in a future one at this rate from my viewpoint.

MockingJ likes this.