• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So are Pokegirls just not returning anymore?

Sham

The Guardian of War
At least in the main series? Iris didn’t appear and it’s pretty clear Serena ain’t coming back at this point. I wonder what made them decide not to let previous Pokegirl come back. Of course SM is in it’s own odd category where Misty returned. I’ve seen some people contribute XY’s continuity being a reason why Iris didn’t appear and Misty being in SM was the reason why Serena didn’t come back. All speculation of course.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I wonder if Serena's lack of a return is, at least in part, due to them not wanting to have to bring up Amourshipping again.
I thought they could tone down the Amourshipping craze a little bit if they made her special episode and have her interacting with other Pokegirls, but nope.

Anyways, they should have stick with the traditions after BW. I thought the decisions they made from the recent series like Iris not appearing in XY, Serena not appearing SM & doesn't have a special, just alienate the fanbase even further imo. I like to see the Pokegirls being treated equally, regardless if I like them or not.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't know why the old female companions don't show up anymore with the exception of Kasumi. With Iris I thought it might've been an issue with her unpopularity among the fanbase as a whole, but Serena didn't return either despite her being generally well received by most fans. So I have no idea what the writers are thinking.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
There's always the chance they'll show up in the specials, although going by the XY specials, Clemont will show up in Alola for some reason.

MockingJ

Banned
I don't think of it as a big loss since Misty, May and Dawn's returns didn't feel all that special to me. Iris at least got her own special episode so I think only Serena deserved to return anyways.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
As long as I am concerned Pokegirls only returned due to advertising. I think they'll return as long as anything big will require to be advertised in the franchise.

Revolver Furious Dragon

Maybe they just couldn't think of a good reason to have Serena in alola but I don't think there gone for good.

I could see Lillie making in appearance in galar for an episode or two. And I think dawn's a certainty to reappear if we ever get dpp remakes

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kuzehiko said:
As long as I am concerned Pokegirls only returned due to advertising. I think they'll return as long as anything big will require to be advertised in the franchise.

I can see how advertising would justify some of the old companions' returns such as in cases like Takeshi and Kasumi's second return in SM, because they indirectly promoted the Kanto remakes. But I don't see how Kasumi's first comeback in AG for instance advertised anything major since all she got were two episodes that had nothing to do with the rest of the plot of the Houen saga and were almost fillers.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I think Misty, May and Dawn’s cameos weren’t necessarily for promotion, they were probably just keeping up the tradition of the previous companion appearing but now the cast has grown so large with no end in sight, they probably think it’s easier for newer fans to not bring back older companions.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sonnas said:
Plus didn’t they get cameos in ICY to at least show they didn’t forget about them?

That movie wasn't canon though, so most fans don't count any of the character cameos from that movie when they talk about characters showing up again.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
They're probably limited to specials now like the previous male companions have been

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
They're probably limited to specials now like the previous male companions have been

If that were the case, I would've expected Serena to have gotten a special by now. But she's been missing-in-action since the XY&Z saga ended with no explanation for her lack of a comeback mini-arc or special episode.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
If that were the case, I would've expected Serena to have gotten a special by now. But she's been missing-in-action since the XY&Z saga ended with no explanation for her lack of a comeback mini-arc or special episode.

I meant the post region specials like Brock/Cilan, Cilan/Clemont, etc
Serena's a more fitting candidate to meet one of the current characters anyways than Clemont, he doesn't really have a reason to leave Kalos.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
I meant the post region specials like Brock/Cilan, Cilan/Clemont, etc
Serena's a more fitting candidate to meet one of the current characters anyways than Clemont, he doesn't really have a reason to leave Kalos.

My point was that even when Citron got his own post-XY special, the writers didn't feel the need to give Serena one as well, which makes it seem unlikely that she'll make an appearance in a future one at this rate from my viewpoint.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
My point was that even when Citron got his own post-XY special, the writers didn't feel the need to give Serena one as well, which makes it seem unlikely that she'll make an appearance in a future one at this rate from my viewpoint.
The Yveltal special was the main offender to me, for not having the Serena special. Sure, that legendary had its canon appearence but I thought it was already too late for that when Gen 7 was about to start.