• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So are Pokegirls just not returning anymore?

Leonhart

Imagineer
mysticalglacia said:
I mean, what else was he supposed to do after that? Be angry or upset after he travelled a whole region with her? It’s pretty clear that it was a quick decision on Serena’s part, and given that she would’ve fell down the escalator if the kiss was more than three seconds, Ash couldn’t react. XY was a typical shounen series with a typical unrequited love shounen subplot, so it makes sense they left the ship ambiguous to adhere to that.

I always thought that the kiss worked even though it wasn't shown directly. Just having it be an implied kiss was a pretty big deal since we rarely ever see that kind of display of affection in this series [not counting the movies]. But to me, the kiss signified closure for Serena, hence why I'm generally fine with the idea of her never showing up again.

Emelie

Bookworm
I wonder why they seem to think it's impossible to please both Gen 1 fans and fans of other generations at the same time. At first they had such ambitious plans with the 20th anniversary, they wanted to add all past companions in one movie but then they decided to make these really weird movies featuring random characters instead.

I guess the Mewtwo remake movie and Misty's and Brock's cameos was an attempt to listen to the criticism but why didn't they just do this from the beginning? Remaking the Mewtwo movie at the end of Gen 7 after Misty and Brock already reappeared twice just seems like a strange decision.

It's almost as if they are overcompensating because of the criticism they got after excluding Misty and Brock from the "I choose you" movie?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Emelie said:
It's almost as if they are overcompensating because of the criticism they got after excluding Misty and Brock from the "I choose you" movie?

I did wonder if that was one of the reasons for Kasumi and Takeshi's returns at first since to me it seemed quite random for them to return in the main anime when the 20th anniversary movie only gave them minor cameos. I remember fans complaining that Kasumi and Takeshi weren't part of the 20th movie's cast, so maybe those complaints were actually honored by the anime's writers.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I did wonder if that was one of the reasons for Kasumi and Takeshi's returns at first since to me it seemed quite random for them to return in the main anime when the 20th anniversary movie only gave them minor cameos. I remember fans complaining that Kasumi and Takeshi weren't part of the 20th movie's cast, so maybe those complaints were actually honored by the anime's writers.

Ash's loss in sinnoh, unnova and especially kalos league attracted far more criticism yet the writers still made him lose next leagues, you think writers would be least bothered by this matter especially when the major complains only came from english speaking counties besides movie 20 was a major commercial success even without them, they were always planning to bring them in SM over movie.

Emelie

Bookworm
Ash's loss in sinnoh, unnova and especially kalos league attracted far more criticism yet the writers still made him lose next leagues, you think writers would be least bothered by this matter especially when the major complains only came from english speaking counties besides movie 20 was a major commercial success even without them, they were always planning to bring them in SM over movie.

Well, he hasn't lost the league in Sun and Moon yet...

I actually think he could win this time. Although it would have been better if he had won in Kalos instead. This whole "the next region will feature ALL regions!" would have made more sense if it happened after Satoshi won the Kalos league and the 20th anniversary was still a thing.

Why does it feel like they just keep celebrating the 20th anniversary? o_O Are they overcompensating again because some people were disappointed when they didn't release that movie with all the past companions?

Cameos are fun but I hope they won't overdo it. Especially since Misty and Brock didn't impact the plot all that much. If they have trouble with making two old characters relevant how will they handle 16 characters!? :eek:

MockingJ

Banned
Other than May's Japanese VA, do any of the other Pokegirl voice actresses have full schedules or perhaps other issues that might explain why they might not be able to voice their characters in the newer episodes?

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Other than May's Japanese VA, do any of the other Pokegirl voice actresses have full schedules or perhaps other issues that might explain why they might not be able to voice their characters in the newer episodes?

The only one I can see being an issue is Aoi Yūki (Iris), who’s a popular VA and is always busy. Megumi Toyoguchi (Dawn) is quite popular as well, but I don’t think she’s been in too many things the past few years that would conflict.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Was playing Iris her breakout role? Because I don’t remember hearing much about her prior to Best Wishes and I know she recently got an award for portraying her.

She started playing Iris before her, but Madoka from PMMM was her true ‘breakout’ role. That role kind of kickstarted her career forward; she won Best Actress two years in a row after playing Madoka.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I doubt that the various seiyuu's schedules are a hindrance when it comes to them finding time to voice the previous female companions. I'm sure that recording some lines for a couple of episodes like Kasumi's voice actress did when Kasumi returned in SM wouldn't take up that much time, so the logistics of something like this probably aren't the reason why Hikari, Iris, and Serena haven't returned. There must be something else going on from my perspective.

Lunalah

If Ash leaves the show like many people are predicting then the other characters will also be written out of the series. So I think the chances of the other girls ever coming back again are zero at this point.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
If Ash leaves the show like many people are predicting then the other characters will also be written out of the series. So I think the chances of the other girls ever coming back again are zero at this point.
In my opinion, removing Ash and all his past companions from the show will ruin it

Sonnas

Apprantly the outcry wasn't as bad in Sinnoh or Unova. But only when Kalos happened that Japanese audience were upset at that.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Apprantly the outcry wasn't as bad in Sinnoh or Unova. But only when Kalos happened that Japanese audience were upset at that.
It's mostly because of misplaced hype. Based on a number of factors they believed that Ash was finally going to win, but then the Kalos League finals happened and people were pissed.

Sonnas

It's mostly because of misplaced hype. Based on a number of factors they believed that Ash was finally going to win, but then the Kalos League finals happened and people were pissed.
I'm just wondering why the anime made that video that seemed like Ash was going to win...only for him to lose like why make that video in the first place if you knew he was going to lose?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm just wondering why the anime made that video that seemed like Ash was going to win...only for him to lose like why make that video in the first place if you knew he was going to lose?
Don't know, but it did succeed in making people think that Ash was going to win. Now, back on topic. Considering that the next saga will include all regions, we might see some past Pokegirls returning, but I don't know.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

Even the animators were disapointed by the result.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Given the possibility that the new saga might be a reboot, it seems that if Haruka, Hikari or the other female companions do show up again, they'll be replaced by new versions of their old personas. The thought that we might never see the old versions of those characters again is depressing, even though the odds of the old Haruka returning were already slim to begin with.

MockingJ

Banned

Well of course the outcry wasn't major in DP or BW since Ash only make Top 4 and Top 8 in those series, respectively. But he made Top 2 in XYZ so people got mad that he was so close to winning that time.

Sonnas

Even the animators were disapointed by the result.
But weren't they the ones that made it and knew about it or they knew and they were dissapointed about it?
Well of course the outcry wasn't major in DP or BW since Ash only make Top 4 and Top 8 in those series, respectively. But he made Top 2 in XYZ so people got mad that he was so close to winning that time.
Yeah that makes more sense.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I think it's more about the show being more than 20 years that existed and some fans used that milestone so that he can really finish his journey and start a new series with a new protagonist.
But weren't they the ones that made it and knew about it or they knew and they were dissapointed about it?
But the directors and writers have more power/control about the leagues outcomes than the animators, since they're just animating the characters.