1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

So are Pokegirls just not returning anymore?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Sham

Sham You can still do the right thing

The question I’ve always had was the kiss even mutual? Sure he smiled but that was about the end of it. He went on with his life and went back to normal. I definitely think them not revealing Ash’s feelings was a cop out because they didn’t want to anger either side of the fanbase.

2. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

Nah, it just that the anime producers priotize more of the merch from the games over than how the characters felt about the others or the logic of their reappearences. And I don't care about Satoshi and his feelings, I care more about the Pokegirls and their interactions, but the anime fails to deliver these.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Firefo×Fennekin likes this.
  3. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

I dont think it was to not anger since they themselves promote satosere way too much compared to other pair (even after the series was over), and they only care about there home fanbase i even doubt they even care about international fanbase, as's cop out reaction was a typical shonen hero's response who is just too much focused on his goal rather than romance.

4. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

Yeah, Serena didn't ask for Satoshi's consent. I think this is a little bit of a problem even if Satoshi didn't seem to mind. I hope this didn't inspire any clueless kids watching to kiss somebody without asking if it's OK first.

But then again Satoshi is also giving her the cold shoulder if he doesn't give her an answer. Isn't that even worse than him just rejecting her? I personally feel that way. Am I really supposed to believe that Serena wouldn't be hurt if Satoshi ignored her?

5. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

I mean, what else was he supposed to do after that? Be angry or upset after he travelled a whole region with her? It’s pretty clear that it was a quick decision on Serena’s part, and given that she would’ve fell down the escalator if the kiss was more than three seconds, Ash couldn’t react. XY was a typical shounen series with a typical unrequited love shounen subplot, so it makes sense they left the ship ambiguous to adhere to that.

6. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

He's oblivious simple as that. The only thing he thinks is "fight fight fight" and Pikachu is the most important thing for him to the point that any girls or boys are just friends to him (I know there's Giselle but it was a gag). And for me who's also a Street Fighter fan, there's a character that literally just act like him (Ryu) so such character trope isn't new.

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

I always thought that the kiss worked even though it wasn't shown directly. Just having it be an implied kiss was a pretty big deal since we rarely ever see that kind of display of affection in this series [not counting the movies]. But to me, the kiss signified closure for Serena, hence why I'm generally fine with the idea of her never showing up again.

Firefo×Fennekin and MockingJ like this.
  8. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

I wonder why they seem to think it's impossible to please both Gen 1 fans and fans of other generations at the same time. At first they had such ambitious plans with the 20th anniversary, they wanted to add all past companions in one movie but then they decided to make these really weird movies featuring random characters instead.

I guess the Mewtwo remake movie and Misty's and Brock's cameos was an attempt to listen to the criticism but why didn't they just do this from the beginning? Remaking the Mewtwo movie at the end of Gen 7 after Misty and Brock already reappeared twice just seems like a strange decision.

It's almost as if they are overcompensating because of the criticism they got after excluding Misty and Brock from the "I choose you" movie?

Lunalah and Sham like this.
  9. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

I did wonder if that was one of the reasons for Kasumi and Takeshi's returns at first since to me it seemed quite random for them to return in the main anime when the 20th anniversary movie only gave them minor cameos. I remember fans complaining that Kasumi and Takeshi weren't part of the 20th movie's cast, so maybe those complaints were actually honored by the anime's writers.

Firefo×Fennekin and MockingJ like this.
  10. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Ash's loss in sinnoh, unnova and especially kalos league attracted far more criticism yet the writers still made him lose next leagues, you think writers would be least bothered by this matter especially when the major complains only came from english speaking counties besides movie 20 was a major commercial success even without them, they were always planning to bring them in SM over movie.

11. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

Well, he hasn't lost the league in Sun and Moon yet...

I actually think he could win this time. Although it would have been better if he had won in Kalos instead. This whole "the next region will feature ALL regions!" would have made more sense if it happened after Satoshi won the Kalos league and the 20th anniversary was still a thing.

Why does it feel like they just keep celebrating the 20th anniversary? o_O Are they overcompensating again because some people were disappointed when they didn't release that movie with all the past companions?

Cameos are fun but I hope they won't overdo it. Especially since Misty and Brock didn't impact the plot all that much. If they have trouble with making two old characters relevant how will they handle 16 characters!? :eek:

12. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Other than May's Japanese VA, do any of the other Pokegirl voice actresses have full schedules or perhaps other issues that might explain why they might not be able to voice their characters in the newer episodes?

Lunalah and Firefo×Fennekin like this.
  13. mysticalglacia

The only one I can see being an issue is Aoi Yūki (Iris), who’s a popular VA and is always busy. Megumi Toyoguchi (Dawn) is quite popular as well, but I don’t think she’s been in too many things the past few years that would conflict.

MockingJ likes this.
  14. Sham

Sham You can still do the right thing

Was playing Iris her breakout role? Because I don’t remember hearing much about her prior to Best Wishes and I know she recently got an award for portraying her.

15. mysticalglacia

She started playing Iris before her, but Madoka from PMMM was her true ‘breakout’ role. That role kind of kickstarted her career forward; she won Best Actress two years in a row after playing Madoka.

Emelie, Firefo×Fennekin and Sham like this.
  16. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

I doubt that the various seiyuu's schedules are a hindrance when it comes to them finding time to voice the previous female companions. I'm sure that recording some lines for a couple of episodes like Kasumi's voice actress did when Kasumi returned in SM wouldn't take up that much time, so the logistics of something like this probably aren't the reason why Hikari, Iris, and Serena haven't returned. There must be something else going on from my perspective.

MockingJ likes this.
  17. Lunalah

Lunalah Well-Known Member

If Ash leaves the show like many people are predicting then the other characters will also be written out of the series. So I think the chances of the other girls ever coming back again are zero at this point.

janejane6178 likes this.
  18. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

In my opinion, removing Ash and all his past companions from the show will ruin it

19. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

Apprantly the outcry wasn't as bad in Sinnoh or Unova. But only when Kalos happened that Japanese audience were upset at that.

MockingJ likes this.
  20. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

It's mostly because of misplaced hype. Based on a number of factors they believed that Ash was finally going to win, but then the Kalos League finals happened and people were pissed.