1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

So are Pokegirls just not returning anymore?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

I think it's mostly a case of more older fans being familiar with Takeshi and Kasumi than with Haruka and the characters that came after her in all honesty. Speaking from my own experience, a lot of my friends stopped following the anime at some point during the Jouto saga, so they never saw Haruka and would obviously prefer to see the Kanto group together on-screen than see female characters from the sagas after that. Maybe that's the logic that the showrunners are following as well.

2. game3524

game3524 Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

Viewership and interest peaked in the OS. So it is not a surprise when the writers do callbacks it generally from the OS.

3. Because it was new and fresh back then MI

4. Apslup

Apslup Feelin' Fine.

Misty was literally in Sun and Moon on two seperate occasions.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  5. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

It make sense for the producers budget-wise. You would want to keep the same character, including her Pokemons and their voice actors to save money than changing everything with another companion.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  6. Sham

Sham You can still do the right thing

Literally read the original post.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  7. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

I think the thread creator was talking about the Pokegirls other than Misty. Even in her case, she only came back for Gen 1 pandering and had to share screentime with Brock, so to me it wasn't even on par with May's or Dawn's comebacks.

8. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

This will be hilarious if Gen VIII really is all regions with all companions.

9. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Red-headed Lily

I still don't think anyone is coming back; my expectations are really low for pretty much everything in the next series

10. NesRemix

NesRemix Well-Known Member

The thing is maybe there wasn't much incentive. Iris didn't appear in XY for reasons, and Serena wasn't a good fit for SM's art style and new Ash, so she was left out.

And Dawn's cameo in BW was viewed as kind of lackluster overall, and could have been much better. Misty's AG cameos and first SM cameo was ok, and May's return in DP was done well. Maybe they just can't fit them in anymore.

11. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

So May is the only one allowed to have good cameo? I personally enjoyed Dawn and Misty's cameos - specifically the one at Cerulean gym.

Sham likes this.
  12. NesRemix

I said Misty's AG and first SM cameo was good. The second SM cameo was kinda lackluster except a few scenes.

Dawn's BW cameo was always viewed as underwhelming even back in 2012. She basically just came back for a few fillers and then bombed out to Iris' Dragonite in the second round of a tournament. We had some fun scenes between Dawn and Iris but not much else.

saradanaruto likes this.
  13. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Red-headed Lily

The best thing about Dawn's episodes in BW was when she joined Iris in calling Ash a kid and when she was becoming annoyed with Cilan.

Moonlight Starlight likes this.
  14. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

I feel like her character got a regression in that moment, more like it was OOC. I doubt DP Dawn would say something like that to Ash.

15. NesRemix

Another problem with Dawn's cameo is she had no updates. She's also the only girl to return without new clothes or a new outfit, which I found strange. They gave Misty new clothes for like 2 episodes of screentime, and Dawn stayed for 9 episodes.

Likewise none of her pokemon changed since her special, and we didn't see any cameos/flashbacks to her rivals, or if she won any Contests in Hoenn. In May's cameo they gave us a huge update on her journey, ribbons wons, Drew/Harley watching, a Max cameo, May got two new outfits, tons of evolutions...I thought Dawn would get the same.

16. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

They had already used her Platinum outfit in DP, but it wouldn’t have been hard to give her something new to wear. Misty’s outfit was original in AG; they could’ve done something similar for Dawn.

I wish Buneary or Quilava had evolved, or they had at least shown us her Ribbons. Her cameo was fun but it def. felt rushed

17. NesRemix

It's weird because Dawn got a very long and generous 9 episode cameo, most other girls only come back for 2-4 episodes, yet for some reason even with 9 whopping episodes, Dawn's cameo still felt rather uneventful and rushed.

I mean can you imagine if Misty stuck around for 9 episode straight either back in AG or SM? Or if May stayed for 9 episodes? It's really weird Dawn got 9 episodes, in real-life time her cameo aired over the course of 2 months, yet it doesn't feel that way, I don't know why. Her 9 episodes "felt" like 3-4 episodes, if that makes any sense.

Redstar45 likes this.
  18. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

Didn't Misty surpass Dawn having the most total return episodes after her return in SM?

19. NesRemix

If you mean combined, Misty has 8 cameos, 4 eps in AG and 4 in SM.

But Misty only ever stayed for 2 episodes at a time, in all her returns

Kuzehiko likes this.
  20. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

Misty has 5 cameos in AG. Even though she wasn't there for the entire episode, she definitely appeared in The Scheme Team and it wasn't a flashback or her watching Ash on tv. She had a conversation with him in person so it counts as a cameo which ties her with Dawn.

She did technically appear in another episode in AG (maybe 2? I cant recall) where she watches Ash on tv but I dont really count these cameos since they're not speaking roles.