• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So... how old is Ash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyKerpymon

Lan challenges you!
fourteen(10 char)

Dattebayo

Banned
Probably the same age as Naruto.

Skyrius

pokeshipper :P
Lol, according to wiki, he should be 14 and turning 15 soon. If you pay attention in the movies (dub only) he mentions that it's been so-many years since he began his journey (unfortunately the japanese version doesn't mention any of this XD)

Wing

PhoenixFireAssassin
He's 42.. because clearly 42 is the answer to everything. Or, as previously suggested, Ash is the anime version of Fred Savage, and Pokemon really is the Japanese equivalent of Wonder Years.

In my opinion, characters in anime don't seem to age. There is usually no hint/episode dedicating to their birthdays. I can name only one, when The episode 'Thirteen Candles' (From the beyblade series!) showed that protagonist Tyson turned thirteen! And in beyblade, they have set ages that they age through. So, I think Ash is still ten or he turned 11.

Reign G

Roggen and Rolan
Well, considering that in Pokemon 3's Mini Movie, Ash said that it had been 1 year since he and Pikachu met, thus making him 11, that means a year passes every other season, making him...

...Let's see...Carry the two...

...14 Years Old at current, with his birthday hving just passed in the Battle Frontier. He should be 15 by Season 11.

Last edited:

Legendary Raikou

Anime hasn't said anything about it, but nobody grows younger ya know. And the mods will come in and say "Bla bla bla they're 10 years old and they always will be it never changes"...But who knows? Dont people read the rules before posting these threads haha

Tisis

Psi_
To a point it really is pointless trying to ascertain what Ash's age is - the only real indication we have are vague animé references that state a year has gone by, or whathaveyou. If a proper age must be decided on, we'd have to bear in mind that puberty tends to strike two or three years after the age Ash was when he first left home - which raises a series of questions about his, his mother's, and the writer's ability to think certain things through, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Now, has Ash hit puberty? I'm thinking not, from a realism-standpoint; sure, his voice has apparently, all-of-a-sudden, changed - but from what I've heard of it, it isn't any more deep than the last one. It's just different, much like when someone goes home and dyes their hair a completely different colour - it isn't any longer, no time has passed in which it might have grown or changed naturally; it's just a different colour. And yes, people will notice, so there'd be no use pretending nothing was different.

Of course, nothing would be said of the real signs of puberty,* but even if we couldn't expect this, we should at least expect some change in his level of cognitive development - yet he reasons and argues as if his mind froze at age ten. Possibly it did - I don't know, I can't read it or anything. Even if he'd only aged two years, though, his maturity level would have advanced - so unless in Ash's case there's such a vast difference between ageing and maturing no possible connection may be drawn between the two, I wouldn't be so fast to state that Ash was anywhere near turning twelve.

*Body hair, smells, emissions. I myself went through puberty around ten years ago and since then have had to wear deodorant, change my clothes daily, wash just as often - and still my t-shirts have this rather strong smell of hormones. This may in part be due to the fact that I like tight t-shirts, so the underarm area of them is in close contact with my own; however, I'm sure the days upon literal days Ash and company spend out in the wilderness, in the same items of clothing, without showering, would result in something of a similar sort. Sure, they could "wash" their clothes - basically meaning they could splash water on the dirty bits and hope for the best - but I have to wash my t-shirts daily. And the smell remains.

cecil 090

chaos of the night
why I'm not but 10! *dentures fall out*

i honestly think he's around 15-16

Tabris

Beginning Trainer
Floating timeline, go!

I reckon he should be about 15 though.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
In the anime currently, I see Ash as being either 15 or 16, at the most.

He certainly looks that way to me. And with every new outfit he gets, he keeps looking older the next season (well he does in my opinion, anyway).

And by the way, I personally hate the "anime characters are ageless" theory. In my opinion, it takes the fun out of speculation and trying to figure out characters' ages.

Of course, nothing would be said of the real signs of puberty,* but even if we couldn't expect this, we should at least expect some change in his level of cognitive development - yet he reasons and argues as if his mind froze at age ten. Possibly it did - I don't know, I can't read it or anything. Even if he'd only aged two years, though, his maturity level would have advanced - so unless in Ash's case there's such a vast difference between ageing and maturing no possible connection may be drawn between the two, I wouldn't be so fast to state that Ash was anywhere near turning twelve.
Well, I think the fact that Ash hasn't shown any change in cognitive development (as far as his reasoning goes), is because of his "dense" personality.

From season 1 to season 5 (or at least in the dub anyway), it always seemed like Ash said things or did things that people would think are dumb. And whenever he acted it like that, it would make him look less smart, compared to his friends.

However, from season 6 (Pokemon Advanced) and onward, the writers didn't have Ash say/do anything "dense" anymore. So I say he greatly matured after he got to Hoenn.

And now, in D/P, I say the writers have pretty much taken away that dense personality trait that Ash used to have. The few times they may decide to incorporate this, may only be for comedic purposes.

But for the most part, I say Ash's dense personality is pretty much non-existant now.

Last edited:

ADUAN

14, or 15.

And, yeah, Ash has pretty much matured.

Liberty4Pokemon

Vogue to the Music
The anime's given no evidence to show that Ash has aged since the Kanto saga. The original Japanese version has never had him mentioning years passing by, iirc. So, that means Ash is still ten-years-old.

Anyway, if the characters DID age, then shouldn't Max look the same age as Dawn? But he doesn't, he still looks like the same kid from the beginning of AG.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Ash is a demon in the guise of a ten year old boy. That's why he's never changed. :p

Honestly, does it really matter? He hasn't had any real development in terms of his personality, so even if he is, let's say, fourteen chronologically, he still acts like he's younger.

Oh, and Liberty4Pokemon has a point, too.

Rex Kamex

Ash is 10 years old.

The anime started in April 1997, and it's a few months after April 2007, so...

Just kidding, but that's the answer I feel like sticking with. XD (Actually, I do wish that the characters had just aged some.)

Or you could just say Dawn's 10 while May is 10+, making Ash's age 10++.

Yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.