• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So is Sanpei Ash's main rival this saga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
[img139]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/5/5e/Sanpei.png/250px-Sanpei.png[/img139]

- He's a recurring character

- He has the fully evolved starter of Ash's, similar to how Paul had Torterra

- There's no reason not to expect him at the league, unless the writers just forget about him for some reason

I think the only reason some people don't take him seriously as a real rival because he doesn't fit into the tropes of Gary, Paul and Trip where Ash is constantly being put down and ridiculed, or one step behind his rival. Thoughts? Or is Sanpei not a real rival?

phanpycross

God-king
Seems like a godStephan kind of rival to me, which given how little we have seen of anybody else would prolly make him the main rival.

PokeMaster366

I honestly wouldn't mind having Ash face off against Sanpei in the league. If we go down the list, we can already see Sanpei and Tierno being major opponents that Ash will have to face in order to win or even make it far. The girl that the sister of that one girl with the Pichu could potentially be a minor opponent, but I don't know.

Anyways, I can see Sanpei being a rival, except he's a lot more helpful in the way of building useful skills as opposed to Gary, who was just being a d*** as far as I can remember, Paul, who, despite being rather harsh, was actually rather helpful (unintentionally or otherwise) when it came to Ash making realizations that ultimately made him stronger, and Trip, who only really contributed with one observation and had about as much smugness as Paul without the real strength to justify that mindset.

diakyu

He seems like just a simple recurring character to me. Would be cool to have him show up near the league and help train Ash though.

Or maybe they plan on having a full fight with Sanpei somewhere down the line in his home village.

Last edited:

Lucille

I could see him returning one more time to help train Ash's Greninja a new move for the league but if he was a rival I'd think he would of gotten more exposure before this episode

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
He's not a main rival. At best he'll be a Stephan like rival which suits me because Stephan was probably the best handled BW rival.

MegaSalamence05

He does remind me of Stephan from last gen. He didn't acknowledge that I can recall that he was going after badges, but he still appeared at the league. I can't forsee it happening unless

Ash and the gang go and visit the Ninja village in some sort of tournament aspect proceeding Sanpei to go out and get gym badges

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Hopefully since he's not a total jerk like the others and that's refreshing for once.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It depends on if he's challenging the Kalos gyms. If he is then yes, if he isn't then no. Otherwise he's just something like Casey was imo.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Sanpei being Ash's rival? Gee, but I thought Ash wasn't gonna have a rival in this saga because "XY is AG 2.0"? :rolleyes:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Sanpei being Ash's rival? Gee, but I thought Ash wasn't gonna have a rival in this saga because "XY is AG 2.0"? :rolleyes:

Sanpei is like Nicholai with his Mudkip/Marshtomp from Hoenn. If they follow the AG route this will be Sanpei's last appearance and he'll be forgotten about for the rest of the saga.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I doubt it, he might be somewhat recurring but I think he's more likely to be a temporary opponent and Ash will battle Tierno, Trevor, Shauna or someone introduced at the last minute with a less stupid hat at the pokemon league.

Judai-and-sho

The Best of the Best
He seems more like recurring plot point to me. I could see him returning once more once Frogadier is ready to evolve again or shortly after for a Greninja vs. Greninja battle. But he doesn't really strike me as the rival type.

KidOblivion

Johto League Champ
Sanpei seems like a really cool and interesting character.

Chances are, he's not coming back.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Sanpei seems like a really cool and interesting character.

Chances are, he's not coming back.
That's what people said after his first appearance as well.

Chomper4

I think that Allie, Tierno, Trevor, and Wally will also be his Kalos League rivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.