• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So is the dub of Pokemon Journies any better than the previous one?

Trey pokes

IMO YES! You have NY actors with LA actors, the show's a Netflix property now and pretty much means they could do things that they couldn't do on broadcast TV, Goldfarb's music I say has continued improving since both his XY/SM days and apparently they're letting him incorporate his M20 score which has never ever happened before and more over the DUB in general just feels so much more fun and great to be around especially during these hard days were currently living in.

Leonhart

Imagineer
JennaJayfeather said:
I had hopes that the dub would have improved with its music, to me I think that'd actually save the dub for the most part (voices could always be improved but good music sets the tone, I can't count the number of times TPCi music just sapped the energy out of the show). Oh well...

Normally I would want them to just use the original soundtrack even if they have to pay royalties for it, but the newest compositions in the Japanese version of this series haven't exactly been great either, so it's hard for me to vouch for the original soundtrack this time around.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Mark de Groot on YouTube expertly manages to turn Japanese openings into English with the exact same words and music, but just in English. Those are as hype as the original Japan theme songs and u can actually understand them. If he can do it, why can't TPCI?
Copyrights.

Music owners not liking someone else dubbing the music they can't dub themselves and said dubbers earning the money the original music owners should be earning.

And in the case of TPCI, they're cheap.

(If Mark was getting money for his dubs unofficially, he would be in jail by now.)

It won't be any better until Michele Knotz and James Carter are relieved from voice acting and script writing.
The dub also needs better bgm and they need to keep more of the original bgm than they do now for it to be better to me.

Yes to all of that other than removing Michelle. As odd as it may sound, even the worst actors can give out a good performance with a good director. I was surprised to find that FUNimation was able to get the guy that voiced Usopp in the 4kids dub of One Piece to do a good job in one of their other shows where he reprises a role he had previously (can't recall which one it was, but it wasn't One Piece). They also got the guy that played Piccolo in Dragonball Evolution to come in and voice Zamasu in Super, and got a great performance out of him as well. Point is if it's possible to get good acting out of a One Piece 4kids actor and someone involved in Dragonball Evolution, it's possible to get something good out of Michelle Knotz.

The anime will never know peace until Goldfarb is removed. The parts I have listened to seems to indicate he’s getting better...to me personally at least.

Agreed, Goldfart should not be allowed within 100 feet of anything to do with Pokemon. PS love the profile pic and signature, Korra's great.

What do you mean by opening getting replaced dude? I don't want to listen to a Japanese song that I can't understand before every single episode. If it's so good musically (which could be the only thing good about it to someone who doesn't understand Japanese) I can watch it on Youtube, but there's no reason for me to want a Japanese song rather than an English song before every single episode.

Is this really something sub purists want? If so, it's a new one to me. I've heard all your other complaints from various sources but certainly never heard about people wanting the Japanese song kept.. how does that even make sense in terms of a DUB? Do you want the song directly translated, with the music itself kept intact? That would be really hard to do like She-Wolf by Shakira

I am in no way insisting on a Japanese song being used. If you do an English cover of the Japanese opening I will count that as keeping the opening. For Pokemon examples of songs getting English covers, see Meowths Party.

It's highly likely the dubbed version is unable to reproduce a dubbed version of a song, because more often than not the Japanese opening employs a REAL Japanese music band. Dubbed openings in English rarely ever get dubbed openings (the only known instance I know is the Dragon Ball openings starting with Kai). No offense, but most of the dubbed Pokemon openings are bad because the people singing aren't that good...and the songs aren't even dubbed versions but brand new ones that don't match the mood of the Japanese openings (which TPCI fervently refuses to pay for).

I can give you plenty of examples of dubs that have taken the Japanese opening and dubbed it into English other than DB Kai. Yu Yu Hakusho, the first 5 openings of One Piece (the good dub), Dragon Ball Super, original Dragon Ball, and technically Sailor Moon sort of. Point is that it's not unreasonable or impossible to have happen. Heck Yo Kai Watch gave us a dub of the opening before they switched to using their own song for whatever reason.

I question why any viewer would expect the English dub to have improved, when to my understanding virtually everyone who worked on the SM dub is working on the Pokemon Journeys dub. If the voice actors had changed then I could see why people would think that the dub might've gotten better, but as far as I know all the returning characters have their voice actors from previous sagas [that TPCi was in charge of].

Because the new company is one located in California, which has a far better chance of having good dubs produced than over in New York (seriously, has a good dub ever been produced in NY?). I was hoping for change, but I'm not shocked to hear that it's still as bad as ever. Guess I'll continue not supporting them until FUNimation comes in and saves the day.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I can give you plenty of examples of dubs that have taken the Japanese opening and dubbed it into English other than DB Kai. Yu Yu Hakusho, the first 5 openings of One Piece (the good dub), Dragon Ball Super, original Dragon Ball, and technically Sailor Moon sort of. Point is that it's not unreasonable or impossible to have happen. Heck Yo Kai Watch gave us a dub of the opening before they switched to using their own song for whatever reason.

Outside of Dragon Ball, I guess things were more lax for specific instances until all switched to keeping the Japanese tracks.

(By the way, despite dubbing openings, Dragon Ball Kai and beyond still inserted the Japanese opening tracks during the peak of important battles anyway.)

Outside of Dragon Ball, I guess things were more lax for specific instances until all switched to keeping the Japanese tracks.

(By the way, despite dubbing openings, Dragon Ball Kai and beyond still inserted the Japanese opening tracks during the peak of important battles anyway.)
Yeah I'm told that after that music scandal Toei was unwilling to let them dub the insert songs from then on out, which is a shame given how great Over the Star and Ginyu Force Rules turned out to be.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Copyrights.

Music owners not liking someone else dubbing the music they can't dub themselves and said dubbers earning the money the original music owners should be earning.

And in the case of TPCI, they're cheap.

(If Mark was getting money for his dubs unofficially, he would be in jail by now.)
I don't get how it's cheaper for TPCi to make a brand new opening with new lyrics then just dubbing the Japanese opening, which is feasible as seen by YouTubers being able to do it

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Even in the Kids' WB! era the longest opening was a minute. There's never been a full minute-and-a-half English opening

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Even in the Kids' WB! era the longest opening was a minute. There's never been a full minute-and-a-half English opening
That's mostly because 4Kids kept doing a lot of stupid choices with their budget. They paid their voice actors top dollar despite the dub being atrocious in quality (and censoring). The reason it went under is because they mismanaged their budget really badly.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The voice acting(unless Misty returns cause ew! I can't stand her current VA at all!) is good
The music still sucks though, it's been complete trash since DP ended. Getting progressively worse, they need to get rid of Goldfarb!

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
The voice acting(unless Misty returns cause ew! I can't stand her current VA at all!) is good
The music still sucks though, it's been complete trash since DP ended. Getting progressively worse, they need to get rid of Goldfarb!

I've always thought that the voice acting for most of the characters is halfway decent in the English dub. There are exceptions like Kojirou's voice and Nyasu's voice [both of which I've found to be extremely grating ever since the voice actor change], but Satoshi, Musashi, and most of the traveling companions sound good. The dialogue has also been translated faithfully for the most part, unlike in the days of 4Kids.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

Pretty sure DBS dubbed Ultimate Battle. There are also (few nowadays, but still) latin american dubs, which tend to dub the openings even when they use the japanese ones. Strangely enough for DBS they waited until 131 to dub Ultimate Battle, using the japanese version for 110 and 116

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I've always thought that the voice acting for most of the characters is halfway decent in the English dub. There are exceptions like Kojirou's voice and Nyasu's voice [both of which I've found to be extremely grating ever since the voice actor change], but Satoshi, Musashi, and most of the traveling companions sound good. The dialogue has also been translated faithfully for the most part, unlike in the days of 4Kids.

I wasn't a fan of the change at first but I got over TRio and especially Brock's(He was VERY good in the SM episodes!) fairly quickly. Ash is the one who took awhile and I don't mind it anymore, but I'm still frustrated they didn't bring back Veronica to dub the Mewtwo movie. It just didn't feel right...

Misty however, man. It's just annoying lol

RetroPokeFan

Voice acting wise, I'd say yes. The long awaited arrival of the LA talent pool (considering Lisa Ortiz is now bi-coastal) has so far been a great addition to the cast and also helps to give the show a lot more variety in terms of casting, it now makes me giddy with excitement because who knows which VA will show up next. I really haven't enjoyed Gou as a character but Zeno Robinson's performance at least makes Gou a little bit more tolerable and what else can I say about both Ray Chase as Cerise and Cherami Leigh as Chloe other than they both own the roles and have been some of my favorites so far.

Another thing I appreciate is them bringing back the likes of Tara Sands and Megan Hollingshead as Nurse Joy, that was awesome.

Of course the NY talent pool are still here and they've been pretty good as well (unless we're talking about James and Meowth who still sound the same as they've ever been unfortunately, it's one of the few replacement performances I've never grown accustomed to at all though to be fair to Cathcart I didn't like how Eric Stuart's performance was going by the end of the 4Kids era with how he sounded like he was shouting all his lines) and in some cases, better than they sounded before (Lance in Episode 12 sounded much better and more polished than in the 4Kids episodes he was in where he sounded way too much like a mixture between Joey Wheeler/a minor COTD at best).

It's been really enjoyable for me and I'm excited for the future especially with the returning characters and who will pop up next.

Music wise, it's still forgettable dub produced fluff. I don't hate it but it also doesn't draw me in either.
Misty however, man. It's just annoying lol
She sounded really off in the Sun & Moon episodes she was in too., kind of sticks out in any scene where Ash, Misty and Brock are together. Then again it had been quite a while since Michele properly voiced Misty, not counting the Charizard flashback in Black and White.

Looks like nothing has changed yet. I'll go back to sending them hate mail about how they should just hand the show over to FUNimation while discouraging people from watching it on Netflix.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Looks like nothing has changed yet. I'll go back to sending them hate mail about how they should just hand the show over to FUNimation while discouraging people from watching it on Netflix.
Sending hate mail is kind of rude.

Leonhart

Imagineer
EmeraldArcanine said:
Not only that, it wouldn't change anything either. It's just more spam for them in hindsight.

I'm pretty sure that uncutpokemon was joking. I don't advocate sending TPCi hate mail either, and the only time I personally considered sending them any form of correspondence in general was during the SOVA days.