• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So no matter what, by the time...

TheNewGuy

*spoilers, I guess*

Ash beats Volkner, presuming he does, in a couple of weeks...it'll be the longest gap between gym battles ever. That includes the gap between him beating Juan and Roark. It's held the region-only record for ages obviously, but it is now guaranteed to beat that record.

(For reference Ash's victory over Candice was on May 14, 2009 in Japan. Ash vs. Volkner is scheduled to air June 3, 2010, a gap of a year and 20 days. The previous record was, by my reckoning, the gap between his win over Juan in Hoenn and his win over Roark in Sinnoh, which was a year and four days. The gap between winning the Earth Badge and winning the Zephyr badge was considerably longer, but is discounted due to the fact that Ash also won badges at the Orange league, even if they're not badges found in-game)

What are your thoughts on this rather epic gap? Personally, I think it's a little silly for them to leave it that long. The stuff we got in between was terrific, don't get me wrong, but they could have cut out a couple of the fillers or even left some of them until pre-league (for instance, the Twinleaf festival).
It's been a long, long wait, just hope it's worth it. I know we've had loads of good stuff in the gap, and there haven't been as many fillers as you might expect, but still, I'm shocked they left it this long quite frankly.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
That includes the gap between him beating Juan and Roark.

LOL, the gap between Juan and Roark doesn't count. The Frontier Brains were in the middle and DP had nothing to do with Hoenn, so how is that a Gym leader gap? Compare gaps between Gym leaders in the SAME REGION, not from others.

Anyway the Candice and Volkner gap was of course the longest. But since most of DP's plots were done in the middle, it doesn't matter as much.

thunderblade12

I never understood why this gap mattered so much to people. So much happened during that gap. I mean, I could see people complaining if it was a gap of 50 filler episodes, but it wasn't. I'd be willing to bet no more than seven to ten of them were fillers.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
*spoilers, I guess*

Ash beats Volkner, presuming he does, in a couple of weeks...it'll be the longest gap between gym battles ever. That includes the gap between him beating Juan and Roark. It's held the region-only record for ages obviously, but it is now guaranteed to beat that record.

Ash always beats the Gym Leaders. He only loses once per region...only to get the Badge in the next episode.

What are your thoughts on this rather epic gap? Personally, I think it's a little silly for them to leave it that long. The stuff we got in between was terrific, don't get me wrong, but they could have cut out a couple of the fillers or even left some of them until pre-league (for instance, the Twinleaf festival).

Diamond and Pearl has had the least fillers out of the three series. The Twinleaf Festival was anything but filler.

It's been a long, long wait, just hope it's worth it. I know we've had loads of good stuff in the gap, and there haven't been as many fillers as you might expect, but still, I'm shocked they left it this long quite frankly.

I don't wait for Gym battles anymore because really they are never worth the wait. The battles are mostly stale, DEM, boring. And for the last Gym of Sinnoh I really would have thought that the writers would have made it more than 3vs3...

TheNewGuy

Cubed: Err, the idea was to indicate how long the gap was. In this case, Candice-Volkner was so long that even the 8th from Hoenn and the 1st from Sinnoh, which had an entire arc between it, is shorter.

Now if you want to count the Frontier Symbols as badges, then fair enough. But I have not, so do not talk down to me as if that was in some way wrong.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They finished both the Galactic arc and the Contest arc in this gap two. So two major arcs were completed, let alone the other stuff like Brandon Vs. Paul, and so forth.

ijea4444

I don't get the point of this thread. Most of the events in the gap are more exiting than the battle anyway.

TheNewGuy

Ash always beats the Gym Leaders. He only loses once per region...only to get the Badge in the next episode.

Diamond and Pearl has had the least fillers out of the three series. The Twinleaf Festival was anything but filler.

I don't wait for Gym battles anymore because really they are never worth the wait. The battles are mostly stale, DEM, boring. And for the last Gym of Sinnoh I really would have thought that the writers would have made it more than 3vs3...

1) I presumed he would, obviously he is going to get all 8 badges. There's a vague, 1% possibility of him losing, though. The Kenny ep for example could easily be him training for a Volkner rematch. Seems crazy and obviously very very unlikely to happen but the possibility at least exists.

2) I wasn't suggesting the Twinleaf Festival was a filler - I was suggesting that it could have been moved until post-Volkner. For example, Palmer as a practice match for the league? That kind of thing.

3) I don't think a lot of them are particularly DEM. And 3v3 is short and sweet, if we're getting a 1-episode battle than 4 on 4 might seem rushed (like Candice?).

I never understood why this gap mattered so much to people. So much happened during that gap. I mean, I could see people complaining if it was a gap of 50 filler episodes, but it wasn't. I'd be willing to bet no more than seven to ten of them were fillers.

I see the gym battles as significant markers for the show. After all, this is first and foremost Ash's story. Dawn's contests are obviously a big plus for the show at the moment, but there's a reason they tend to have grand festivals first. I'm impressed with what they did during this gap, but it doesn't change the fact that there was a gap - and that some of it could have been moved.

HoennMaster

Cubed: Err, the idea was to indicate how long the gap was. In this case, Candice-Volkner was so long that even the 8th from Hoenn and the 1st from Sinnoh, which had an entire arc between it, is shorter.

No it's not. It's almost 100 episodes in length, Candice to Volkner is a tad over 50.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
I see the gym battles as significant markers for the show. After all, this is first and foremost Ash's story. Dawn's contests are obviously a big plus for the show at the moment, but there's a reason they tend to have grand festivals first. I'm impressed with what they did during this gap, but it doesn't change the fact that there was a gap - and that some of it could have been moved.

If anything, Diamond and Pearl has been focused on presenting Ash and Dawn as being equals giving Contests a larger role in the series than Gyms.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
That includes the gap between him beating Juan and Roark

They're two different gym leaders from two different regions, so that time gap doesn't count

What are your thoughts on this rather epic gap?

If they hadn't wasted time on Dawn and Piplup and lame filler episodes (except a few good ones), Ash would have been in Sunnyshore long before you knew it. Also keep in mind that first time Ash challenges Volkner, they don't even get to battle

I think it's a little silly for them to leave it that long

^I agree

thunderblade12

If they hadn't wasted time on Dawn and Piplup and lame filler episodes (except a few good ones), Ash would have been in Sunnyshore long before you knew it. Also keep in mind that first time Ash challenges Volkner, they don't even get to battle

The one where it fell in love with Marill and the one where it got stuck to Pikachu...

So cutting out the "Piplup fillers" would have cut the gap down by two episodes.

In fact it's admittedly been a long time in the waiting, but now that we know when Ash gets his badge I'm gonna compile a list of all of the fillers in this arc to hopefully end the nonstop whining about it.

1. Pokemon Hustle
2. Marill, Elekid, Piplup (I'll admit, this one was terrible)
so
3. Marill, Piplup, Elekid (It gets counted twice)
4. Politoed
5. Togepi
6. Gible
7. Misdreavus/Murkrow
8. Pikachu+Piplup
9. Magnezone
10. Ditto

So less than 1/5 of this gap was filler. And that's with me being generous towards your point of view. There are people that would say that the Politoed episode shouldn't count because it had Oak in it or the Gible episode because a somewhat important character caught a pokemon and it foreshadowed Ash capturing one later.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
The longest gap for a gym before Sunyshore was between Eterna and Veilstone (31 episodes, 30 without the clip). This gap is too big because they've decided to focus on Dawn, to finish with her, and then to continue with Ash.

The battle with Volkner should've ended earlier, already in the first time they met him.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Meh, it's like the others are saying... this gap had so much going on that it doesn't really matter about the gym gap. I mean, we got (not even including Dawn plots);
Brandon appearence and his battle with Paul
The full battle and Chimchar>Monferno
Palmer appearance and battle (Grotle EB powerup)
Galactic Finale and a couple of episodes leading up to it
Gliscor release and Gible Capture
Draco Meteor training
Barry and Paul appearances and Monferno>Infernape
Two elite 4 appearances (including battles) and Marley
Grotle>Torterra

So loads happened. Quite frankly, the people that complain about it are only really interested in the gym battles and nothing else, so even a good story won't satisfy them.

Anyway, the only gripe I have with it is that they might as well have made the beginning of the Ash/Volkner battle in DP166 the whole battle. Other than that, I'm good.

Bisasam

Bulbasaur
That includes the gap between him beating Juan and Roark.

No it doesn't. He defeated Juan on January 20, 2005 and Roark on February 1, 2007, which is over two years.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Well here is a list i made a while back & updated today. In this list i have counted the gap between each of the badge winning gym battles (i made this because i had time to waste). The list doesn't count the episode in which the badge was won, only the gap is counted. Also i haven't counted the banned episodes & the clip-shows.

Indigo:-

Episodes took to win the 1st Badge: 4

1-2: 1
2-3: 6
3-4: 8
4-5: 1
5-6: 5
6-7: 24
7-8: 3

Orange Islands:-

Episodes took to win the 1st Badge: 3

1-2: 7
2-3: 9
3-4: 4

Jhoto:-

Episodes took to win the 1st Badge: 14

1-2: 12
2-3: 14
3-4: 22
4-5: 26
5-6: 14
6-7: 13
7-8: 14

Hoenn:-

Episodes took to win the 1st Badge: 15

1-2: 14
2-3: 8
3-4: 15
4-5: 13
6-7: 14
7-8: 10

Battle Frontier:-

2-3: 3
4-5: 5
6-7: 18

Sinnoh:-

Episodes took to win the 1st Badge: 17

1-2: 18
2-3: 29
3-4: 14
4-5: 18
6-7: 17
7-8: 51

So this list clearly shows that the gap between the 7th & 8th gym is the longest (almost a season long).

Though i don't mind them taking longer between gym matches, i really hoped that they hadn't taken so long to do it.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Well here is a list i made a while back & updated today. In this list i have counted the gap between each of the badge winning gym battles (i made this because i had time to waste). The list doesn't count the episode in which the badge was won, only the gap is counted. Also i haven't counted the banned episodes & the clip-shows.

Indigo:-

Episodes took to win the 1st Badge: 4

1-2: 1
2-3: 6
3-4: 8
4-5: 1
6-7: 24
7-8: 3

Orange Islands:-

1-2: 7
2-3: 9

Jhoto:-

Episodes took to win the 1st Badge: 14

2-3: 14
3-4: 22
4-5: 26
6-7: 13
7-8: 14

Hoenn:-

Episodes took to win the 1st Badge: 15

1-2: 14
2-3: 8
3-4: 15
4-5: 13
6-7: 14
7-8: 10

Battle Frontier:-

2-3: 3
4-5: 5
6-7: 18

Sinnoh:-

Episodes took to win the 1st Badge: 17

1-2: 18
2-3: 29
3-4: 14
4-5: 18
6-7: 17
7-8: 51

So this list clearly shows that the gap between the 7th & 8th gym is the longest (almost a season long).

Though i don't mind them taking longer between gym matches, i really hoped that they hadn't taken so long to do it.

Good effort L@S! It really isn't mind blowing that the gaps have become longer over the generations. With the advent of Contests in Hoenn, Kanto and Sinnoh... It is mindblowing however how people keep on complaining when we have so little fillers in between these gaps...

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I dont see whats with all the complaining. Now, I can understand if there were a whole rack of pointless fillers but their werent. It was a good wholesome gap.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
What was the question again? Would you rather it be 8 gyms in FIFTY episodes?