1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

So now that BW is over, what did Ash's Unova pokemon accomplish in the series?

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by CyberCubed, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p96822

p96822 Evolve me please

I say they were more intering then the Sinnoh team

2. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

Arguably, the best thing in BW was Snivy. You could tell she was the most mature person in the cast, something Cilan is just plain bad at.

Sadly, she's the only character who is a little above decent and is overshadowed by the previous captured Pokémon from Ash's team.

3. Cresselia92

Cresselia92 SM Ash = New Ash

What did Ash's Unova team accomplish? Let's see...

Unfezant

Accomplished to: earn to Ash the Jet Badge by beating Skyla's Swanna and learn Aerial Ace
    Failed to: have much personality and win other important battles (namely vs. Roxie and vs. Cameron)

Oshawott

Accomplished to: have a dynamic personality, have good development in the form of Aqua Jet and fighting without his scalchop, earn to Ash the Trio Badge by beating Cilan's Pansage and learn Aqua Jet and Hydro Pump
    Failed to: make good use of the development gotten and win other important battles after Clay's Palpitoad (excluding the Scalchop Tournament)

Pignite

Accomplished to: have a good battle record by winning various major battles (namely Chili's Pansear, Lenora's Herdier, Brycen's Cryogonal, Roxie's Scolipede and Cameron's Hydreigon), get some good (albeit overused) backstory and development, evolve and learn Flame Charge, Flamethrower and Brick Break (off-screen)
    Failed to: not be yet another abused Fire-starter and have a more unique personality

Snivy

Accomplished to: have some good battles and have a decent personality (I consider her cool, but opinions are opinions) and interesting rivalry with Emolga
    Failed to: not grow stale, learn new moves, have her rivarly fleshed out, win the majority of the battles without using Attract and have a more developed backstory

Scraggy

Accomplished to: become a good member of Ash's team despite his "baby status", win some major battles (Clubsplosion and Brycen's Vanillish), have a good relationship with Axew and learn Hi Jump Kick and Focus Blast
    Failed to: have much screen time and battles after Brycen and have many interactions with Axew

Leavanny

Accomplished to: have a good battle record (Burgh's Dwebble and Whirlipede, Roxie's Koffing and Stephan's Sawk, even if he lost), interesting personality (before evolving) and learned Energy Ball and X-Scissor (off-screen)
    Failed to: have much screen time and a less "Leavanny-lish" personality

Palpitoad

Accomplished to: have a good battle record (Burgundy's Stoutland, Elesa's and Stephan's Zebstrikas) and learn/reveal Sludge Wave (off-screen)
    Failed to: have a good personality and screen time outside of battles

Boldore

Accomplished to: earn to Ash the Quake Badge by beating Clay's Excadrill, evolve and learn Rock Blast and Rock Blast
    Failed to: have a good personality, have much screen time and win the majority of the battles

Krookodile

Accomplished to: have a dynamic personality, earn to Ash the Freeze Badge by beating Brycen's Beartic, have some important wins under Ash's command (namely Iris's Dragonite and Stephan's Liepard and Sawk), evolve and learn Dragon Claw
    Failed to: have a resolution or mention of his sunglasses problem once evolved into Krookodile

All in all, the Pokémon who were developed the most in terms of personality, development and battles are Pignite, Scraggy and Krookodile. The others have something lacking:

- Oshawott lacks wins;
    - Snivy lacks development and wins;
    - Leavanny lacks personality and development;
    - Palpitoad lacks personality and development;
    - Boldore lacks virtually everything;
    - Unfezant lacks virtually everything.

In conclusion, Ash's team has a lot of missed potential. However, it's useless to complain now. We can just hope that the next team will be treated better.

4. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

Storywise? The usual - the same as every other region.

Pokemon get captured, they have battles, evolve etc.

Developmentwise? Nothing. Best Wishes has given Ash's Pokemon the worst treatment ever compared to usual. Nothing has generally developed on their character profiles, and half the time we expect something which is hinted/mentioned and never expanded on. Ridiculous.

5. Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama Fancy footwork

Hm, Pignite development through the abandonment of his former Trainer, Oshawott learned how to open his eyes in water, Scraggy mastered Focus Blast and there's probably more stuff.

6. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile as well, Ash's powerhouse.

7. Lorde

Lorde Banned

Yay, the monthly what-has-BW-accomplished thread. I'm totally excited because for once I can give my full opinions without having people tell me to "wait until BW is over before you judge." Of course technically it's not over yet but the last few BW episodes aren't going to be groundbreaking so it doesn't matter lol. I think Ash's BW adventure accomplished absolutely nothing. The whole thing, to me, felt like one big filler saga that people could skip and not miss anything important. Ash regressed which was obvious from the start, but it wasn't until DA that it became apparent how bad the situation had gotten. I mean what with him scanning Pokemon he had seen a hundred times before and would therefore have no reason to be curious about, and the fact that he would go out of his way to train wild Pokemon but not his own team *coughButterfreefillercough* which was just not a very smart thing to do and seemed like an insult to his own Pokemon. There are other examples obviously but I won't waste time naming them. So while I do respect Ash, I thought the entire BW saga was like a big vacation for him. He didn't take anything seriously, and ultimately the entire saga felt like some weird Twilight Zone episode where nothing made sense and I just wanted the entire thing to be over.

ShinyCharyZard likes this.
  8. Xylo

Xylo Active Member

I'm just glad that Ash's Pokemon evolved. Tepig evolved, which is great, but I wish it would have been Oshawott instead.

9. Buechs44

Buechs44 Aipom Master

They accomplished small things. Leavanny being the first non-starter grass-type for ash. Rock and dark types being introduced to ash's roster as well. Battle-wise, nothing, I'm afraid.

10. Rohanator

Rohanator Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you're not bored to death with these kinds of discussions. Everyone's been saying the same sh*t about BW and Ash's team since the league pretty much, even before that. Nothing has changed. Not that there isn't any truth to these comments but you know, there are other things you could be doing.

@Charmed: I like your analysis of BW being like a vacation for Ash. It's funny cause that's what it started out as. Unova's the only region where he didn't travel into with a competitive mind set and it truly ended up showing.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    vespiqueen likes this.
  11. Janovy

Janovy Banned

True, true.

This is like, what, the 2333516th thread about what Best Wishes did wrong?

12. Alfred the Second

Alfred the Second Dracoflare

And sudden;y everything makes sense :p

13. vespiqueen

vespiqueen Well-Known Member

Basically this.

Obviously there's a lot of BW hate but with good reason. Ash developed so much during AG and DP and for him to regress the way he did in BW was a huge disappointment for a lot of the fans.
    His Unova team really is his worst team.

14. Janovy

Janovy Banned

People are allowed to express their disappointment, but too much hate is simply too much.

This thread was created for that exact purpose, to go on and on about how bad his team was, how bad he was. It's bad enough that hate is spread little by little in every single thread, why do we need yet another thread to spread round all this negativity?

15. Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama

Oh yea, I forgot about Krookodile. I was too lazy to think about what happened to each one of his Pokemon. But, Krookodile was a success.

16. vespiqueen

vespiqueen Well-Known Member

The thing is, it doesnt have to be a hate thread. If people felt that Ash's pokemon actually accomplished something then this wouldn't be a hate thread.
    Obviously most people beg to differ, so the majority of the thread is negative. Can't change anyone's opinions.

I will say one positive thing though, Krookodile turned out to be a pretty good Pokemon and I wouldn't mind seeing Ash bring it back for a league one day.

Edit: I take back calling it a hate thread. If anything, this thread is probably more factual than a hate thread.

17. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I kind of agree. It's only natural for people to be upset with Ash's regression. However, I don't think Ash's Unova team was that weak. In fact I thought it was quite balanced; he had some un-evolved Pokemon and some fully evolved Pokemon, and some that were in their middle stage. I thought his team would have done better if the writers had focused on developing each Pokemon though, which they didn't do. The only Pokemon on Ash's team that I didn't like was Krookodile because Ash caught him as a Krokorok that was already quite powerful. It just seemed cheap for Ash to get a Pokemon that required no training. Kind of like how Iris caught Dragonite, but that's another matter for another time.

18. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

I'll go over each of them and what I thought of them.

Pikachu- I felt that Pikachu accomplished being more layered in this saga. With his rivalry and suspicion of Meowth, how betrayed he felt with Meowth and I felt this was overall a very Pikachu-focused saga with him starring in 3 Gyms as opposed to none in Sinnoh. And I felt BW really gave Pikachu funnier moments than some of the previous sagas such as the Elesa Gym battle scene and he also had a good role in the TP episodes.

Krookodile- The writers made him an interesting recurring character in the beginning who always wanted to challenge Pikachu and then once he joined Ash team, he became Ash's Unova powerhouse. His personality was fun and you could tell he wanted to get stronger and I loved how much care he had for those sunglasses.

Pignite- He basically got the same as Charmander and Chimchar did in terms of backstory and like the mentioned 2, he was really strongest of Ash's starter Pokémon this generation. He got some good interactions with both Oshawott and Snivy and while he may not be as entertaining as Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard was during Kanto, I actually do think he had a lot of personality to him at points.

Snivy- She is the least developed of the starters IMO. She prides herself on being the strong one of the group but she really did nothing to back that up. In fact, I think she is probably one of Ash's weaker Unova Pokémon. I did love her rivalry with Emolga and she did seem to be the one who kept Oshawott and Pignite from really going at it, which is appreciated.

Oshawott- I feel like he accomplished a lot in the beginning. IMO, he has the most dynamic personality of all the Unova Pokémon. He had a lot of great moments during his time in the show. He developed many times in the beginning such as the time he had to learn to battle without his scalchop and when he learned to open his eyes underwater to master Aqua Jet. He did end up as mostly comic relief and used for cuteness at the end and I think he did his job very, very well.

Leavanny- Leavanny is such an interesting Pokémon and he really captivated me with his personality. He didn't show up all that much but during his run, I think he established himself as one of Ash's strongest Unova Pokémon and of all the Pokémon on Ash's team that hardly got any screen time this saga, I felt Leavanny had one of the more enjoyable personalities.

Unfezant- Well, she starred in that battle against Skyla... and well, that's the only major thing I could think of. Unfortunately, I didn't really connect to Unfezant as much as some of Ash's previous birds, especially Staraptor who became one of my favorite Pokémon Ash had in Sinnoh. Unfezant didn't get much screen time and her personality wasn't anything to write home about.

Palpitoad- Probably got the worst of all Ash's Pokémon. Didn't star in a Gym and really only showed up when Ash needed it for battles. We didn't get to see it outside of battle like some of Ash's other Pokémon. I feel like he was decent in battles but its personality was lacking and I can't think of any really memorable moments from him ever since Ash caught him.

Scraggy- Scraggy definitely got a lot of development and screen time towards the beginning forming a best friend and training pal with Axew, learning to become good friends with most of Ash's Pokémon, becoming stronger in the Clubsplosion and overall, he had one of the more fleshed out personalities of the Pokémon on Ash's team especially compared to Leavanny, Palpitoad, Unfezant, and Boldore.

Boldore- I thought Boldore had a very good introduction episode. It's biggest accomplishment was definitely the battle against Clay and after that, it really had no more impressive wins, unfortunately. Its personality wasn't nearly as fleshed out as some of Ash's other Pokémon either.

Charizard- In terms of his development in Unova, he really got none. It seemed like he formed a good friendship with Pignite and his re-introduction was great but he didn't really have many great moments during his stay, and I hope that changes with XY when he possibly gets his Mega-Evolution. Charizard was always one of my favorite characters on the show and I really wish he got more this saga.

19. Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama

Really? When does she do this? Because the only time I remember her doing something similar to this was during her capture episode.

20. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Agreed, she's mainly the most mature and calmest member of Ash's team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.