1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

So the Alola League....

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by MidnightMelody, May 4, 2018.

1. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Degrassi Student

We know it will happen but how will it happen? Up until now you had to get 8 badges to enter the league of the region but this is a brand new league and while it could be whoever has finished the island adventure can enter what does it mean (anime wise) to finish the island adventure? Is it just beating the Kahunas and skipping other stuff? Not to mention that unlike gym focused regions it seems only Ash is doing the island challenge with Gladion. Either Kiwae is doing it but we never see him or he finished which would be weird since he's still at the school. I'm guessing the league will be people who graduated which makes make me feel it will be a very tiny league. Could we have the other classmates enter? Yes but doing that would make it feel so rushed since they don't have anything close to a full team and even if Gen 8 is not out till late 2019 I feel it would be rushed giving them a full team. After the last two leagues I'm worried this could be another bomb.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  2. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Can a shorty do this!!

It's looking very likely that this league will be much smaller than the other leagues of previous seasons, which used to have 64 to 128 participants.

Personally, it might be a small battle tournament hosted by Kukui. So far it looks like Ash and Gladion are sure to participate, and most likely Ilima might join in as well. It's tough to envision more than 8 trainers max, so the remaining could be random CoTDs who completed the island challenge, or they might even include Hau, Ryuki, etc.

The classmates have no business being anywhere near the league with their teams, so I'm sure they'll not participate. Also, looking at how this series has been hinting at a Pikachu vs Tapu Koko finale, I have a feeling that Ash might win this small tournament, with Tapu Koko being Ash's final challenge in Alola.

LilligantLewis and cmarston1 like this.
  3. MidnightMelody

Watch people get mad that Ash wins. Even if the league is a small one winning is winning to me. I just want him to use reserves too

4. CMButch

CMButch India Eisley is really pretty

1. I think it will be like Orange League= where Ash would battle Kukui and win. Which would mean Kukui to be on Drake's level( maybe little stronger).
    2.To be actual league but Ash lacks rivals. He only has Gladion. Maybe he will meet new rival soon, which would be similar to Hoenn's league.So it seems that league will be again bad/underwhelming. Seems no league will ever pass Sinnoh league.
    3. There won't be a league.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  5. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Rei Claus

I personally like the first option the most

satopi and Blaze Master X like this.
  6. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Simple, just send out invitations to everyone who completed the island challenge in the past. Tell them that there will be a tournament to decide who will be the first champion of Alola. There should be enough to make a league from.

7. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

I would say Hoenn redux, but that was Kalos... soo I guess Orange max(Ash only has a major battle with Gladion and Kukui).

8. Kage-Pikachu

Kage-Pikachu Well-Known Member

Maybe previous Island champions will show up (like Kahili) and we'll have Ash and Gladion face off against them. Kiawe is a possibility though I admit with his team it does seem unlikely (don't be like Kameron, you need 6 Pokemon!).

I'm sure Kukui will enter too, possibly in his mask.

9. Power Up

Power Up A little crazy never hurt anyone

It's gonna be another Orange Island league victory

10. Yuugis Black Magician

Yuugis Black Magician Well-Known Member

I imagine only competing the Island Trials will be necessary for the first Alola League and then Irima, Kaki and the others will become captains at the end of the series to make the League tougher. Maybe the Island Kings will participate, too?

As for the teams of Kaki and the others, I don't see why they can't just pull an Alan or at the very least restrict teams to three-versus-three for the rounds that Kaki and the others participate in. I'm more interested in them just giving Suiren and the others off-screen Pokemon, though. Not all of them have to be developed.

11. CMButch

Or maybe: Alola league is made and they have no idea who to promote as E4/champion and they put out a tournament on who will be the champion and E4. All students who finished trial challenge can participate together with Acelora(maybe), Molayne, Kahili,Mina and Kukui( as Masked Royal). And final match is MR vs Ash and Ash loses( so Kukui can be a champion). Ash is given a title of E4(but as I said before these E4 and champion are nowhere near actual E4 and champions) but he rejects it because he wants to travel to Gen 8.( similar how he rejected BF title.Also, in the league Ash's Greninja is back and Ash gets Mega Stone Y for Charizard.. and he uses reserves.

12. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist R.I.P. Mr. Hillenburg

Alola is an actual game region though, so that would count as him being Alola's Champion, which seems unlikely.

SinnohEevee likes this.
  13. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja The FullMetal Alchemist

Um, what??? Kukui literally confirmed in SM65 that he'd build a League.

And no, I certainly don't think that the League will be like Orange League or so. Because Kukui got the idea of a League being inspired by the Kanto League when he and the Alola gang went to Kanto and heard about the Kanto Gyms and the League. And he finally finalized his decision to build a League after hearing about the Kalos League in which Ilima participated in.

Since he decided to build a League being inspired by the Kanto-Kalos Leagues, which are regular Leagues, I certainly don't think that the Alola League would be any different than the other Leagues.

The criteria of competing in the League will very likely be to complete the Island Challenge in all the four islands.

14. CMButch

Given what genre and in what direction SM is going; option is there won't be any league(aka league not yet finished, when Ash goes to Gen 8, it'd be finished).It's an option out 3, not it's not like it's a fact that there won't be a league, like you're implying. lol.
    Why not? It can easily be like Orange League where Ash battles Kukui 6 vs 6 and that's it.Setting is same: Ash battles 4 Kahunas= 4 badges in OI.Plus, we don't know what requirements will be. Since league is new,maybe there will be one match(Ash vs Kukui) and later when Ash goes to Gen 8 region league will be 'transforming' into normal league.I mean they need Ho-Oh/Moltres fire which I doubt they would even get that anytime soon..especially since it's new league and I think it will be one stadium in the beginning( and we know there is 1 stadium + 4 smaller stadiums).
    Yeah so? That doesn't mean that there will be 64/128/256 people competing right off the bat.In time it will build up to that point. I think the very first match would be Ash vs Kukui where Ash wins and Kukui offers him to replace him as a champion(like in the game) but Ash rejects because he wants to go to Gen 8.Also, we don't even see other students of that school participating in those trials.Those can be like Lillie; to be in the school just to study, go to classes, have their Pokemon, play with their Pokemon, maybe battle and that's it. Point is, I think none of those students even left Melemele island.That's why, off the bat, I don't think this will be normal league, more like OI league. Or at best this league will start as 16 competitors and winner battles Kukui.

I am saying it can be OI-like(when Ash's participates) and it can be normal league-like(off the bat)..thus I gave 3 options.That criteria is similar how Ash needed to defeat 4 gym leaders in 4 islands in OI, thus that's why I thought it'd be similar( at first glance) to OI and later evolve into normal league.
    This is what I think has more chance of happening;

OI league-like(off the bat)=16 competitors league(mini league off the bat( I think they will find other 15 people who competed in the trials at time Ash did)>>normal league(64/128/256 people compete; since I doubt 64 students finished trials,nor even thought about it in that short time, but later when Ash goes to other regions, they will)>>no league at all.

Plus if we use logic: why is OL not like normal league? 1. There are more islands than there is in Alola. 2. There are also cities in those islands. 3. People also know about gyms in OA.Yet it's 1 vs 1.That's probably because not many people are interested and OL has been there for years... AL will be literally new. I mean I'd like 128 people competing, but tbh I don't see it.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  15. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja The FullMetal Alchemist

I don't know what you are taking about here. Kukui hinting that there would be a League = flat out indication by the writers that there would be a League in which Ash will participate. There was absolutely no point in hinting that Kukui would build a League if Ash didn't participate in it, because then the League won't be shown at all. This is the Pokemon anime, it follows the journey of Ash and Pikachu. If Ash doesn't compete in the Alola League, then the League won't be shown in the anime at all, and there's literally no point for the writers to have Kukui build a League if the League isn't shown at all. In all of the Leagues shown so far in the anime, Ash's battles have been the main focus, and how far Ash makes in the League. Once Ash is eliminated from the League, the remaining battles in the Leagues aren't shown anymore/just skipped over, like what happened in the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova Leagues. There is literally no point in the writers having Kukui build a League, plus teasing/hinting and then confirming that Kukui will build a League not once, but twice, if the writers don't want to show the League in the anime. Why would the writers bother doing all this if they don't even show the League in the anime, which will happen if Ash doesn't compete in it. Makes no sense at all.

The chances of there not being a League/a League being built with Ash not participating in it is pretty much 0%, given what has been indicated in the anime so far.

And you're still ignoring the fact that Kukui was inspired to build a League when the heard of the Kanto Gyms and League, and he further finalized his decision when he heard of Ilima participating in the Kalos League. When he's building the League being inspired by 2 standard Leagues which both have a tournament like format, it's very unlikely/hardly makes any sense that he'll build the League in any different format than those 2 Leagues, something other than a tournament like the Orange League. What you're implying with the League being like the Orange League is that Kukui will solely build the League for Ash, when he completes all the Grand Trials, to have a one off match with Ash for the Champion title, which sounds ridiculous considering he has been inspired by 2 standard Leagues which have a tournament like format, to build the Alola League. And saying that 'I doubt that there will be enough challengers who would complete all four Grand Trials to compete in the League' is a ridiculous arguement to use, because by that logic one can also say that 'I doubt that there would be enough challengers who would complete earning all 8 badges to compete in the League', in cases of standard Leagues.

16. MidnightMelody

I think the last point is more that less do the island challenge as opposed to the gyms. Which I can get since Alola seems to have a smaller population and the island challenge doesn't seem as commercialized as gyms and contests are. I would not be shocked if it is only know by people who live in Alola. With that said I guess this league could get people who did the challenge even if it is not a lot it would be interesting to see people of all ages in the league since it seems we only get kids and teens in the league as far as I can remember. But yeah I am hoping it is a normal league even if it might be smaller due to being new and all. Or because it is new Kukui decides to invite people from other regions to join even if they did not do the challenge so they can go back and advertise it. If we got a league with Ash,Gladion,Kukui,Mina and Aerecola and a few past characters I'd be done. Make it like what I was hoping for the PWT arc to have been

17. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

A league is basically confirmed to happen, with Kukui mentioning it a whopping 3 times.

18. CMButch

@345ash-greninja

*And you're still ignoring the fact that Kukui was inspired to build a League when the heard of the Kanto Gyms and League, and he further finalized his decision when he heard of Ilima participating in the Kalos League. When he's building the League being inspired by 2 standard Leagues which both have a tournament like format, it's very unlikely/hardly makes any sense that he'll build the League in any different format than those 2 Leagues, something other than a tournament like the Orange League.*
    No. Just because he thought of building a league of Kalos/Kanto format, doesn't mean it will be same as of the fact at all. It can easily be OI league-like, it can easily be like that World Tournament (16 competitors).He can change at his own will. Also you're again ignoring the fact that I put Option 1 as merely assumption and you went on the argument of how 'there will be a league and you're wrong' where you wasted like 5 minutes of writing that.

*What you're implying with the League being like the Orange League is that Kukui will solely build the League for Ash*
    No, he wouldn't. You're acting like Drake only battled Ash in OL and that's it, like he waited for Ash and no one else. Lmao, while he battled many competitors after and before.Also, you must be forgetting that that league won't have time limit and it will be there forever. So, it's not build just for Ash,alas it's build for anyone who wants to battle. Ash can battle Kukui on Monday, other trainer on Tuesday etc.Just because they have tournament format doesn't mean Alolan league will have it as a fact in the beginning... later? Sure.I already established it.It can evolve into tournament level of format later while in beginning it'd be mini league or Orange League-like. Also, since it's newly created league it takes time to find E4 and a champion( Kukui would likely be) it takes years and years to establish it correctly. OL has been there for years and you didn't answer me; why didn't OL became like normal league? I mean Drake or whoever was building it heard of Kanto league and their format? Only explanation is: less people who would compete, similar to Alola because they have like 6-7 towns( like OI) or financial problems.You're type of guy who would buy a new car and use it to the max(200 mph( destroying the car in the process), instead of trying it slowly and carefully and later use it to the max. Same with Alola start first with 16 competitors or 1 vs 1 and later become 64+ competition.

*And saying that 'I doubt that there will be enough challengers who would complete all four Grand Trials to compete in the League' is a ridiculous arguement to use, because by that logic one can also say that 'I doubt that there would be enough challengers who would complete earning all 8 badges to compete in the League', in cases of standard Leagues.*
    No. LOl because people who earn 8 badges are coming from much wider/larger regions than Alola and Orange Islands. It took Ash 1 year to travel through almost entire Kanto. If you want 'in episodes' statement: it took Ash like 130+ episodes to travel through all regions. While in Alola it'd take him around 50. The point is Alola is too small region to have more than 64 competitors competing in the league.It only has 4 islands with 6-7 towns/cities and some villages. While other regions have more( I am also talking about anime-exclusive cities/towns).So you can't say 'ohhh there are no enough trainers from Kanto to earn all 8 badges' because Kanto is wider/bigger region which has more population than Alola. Alola and OI in anime have the least amount of population by far.Alola has around 400 people while other regions have like thousands and thousands. So, at best I can see 16 competitors at best in Alola league.Also, just to say my assumption of "no league" is not my wish. I want it to happen because anime lacks battles, just from my point of view of how this anime goes and route has taken, I didn't see it... thus I put it in the category of assumption thus the least one( see my rank >> in my earlier comment).

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  19. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

They could make it so that anyone who passed a Grand Trial is welcome. Since it is the first Alola League. Kiawe and Gladion are the only current characters apart from Ash to have passed a Grand Trial, and also the only current recurring characters that would prove a challenge.

Ash simply beats all four cause you know.... game logic.
    Ilima, Ryuki, Kiawe, Gladion, Acerola, and Kahili are all characters I see him facing.... maybe Faba too since we've yet to see Psychium in action, and he's the only character that actually owns a Psychic type!

20. MidnightMelody

You actually see him facing ALL of them or you see them being in the league? Ash tends to only get 3 or so battles each league after all.