• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So there will be 2 more mythical pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carkol

I don't see an already-thread on mythicals for this gen, apologies if there is 1.

So Kaphotics has stated there is room for 2 more, so possibly DLC/patches.

1. Apparently GameFreak believes in certain element combos as mythical-only, the "sacred" element-combos. Gen 6 had Volcanion Fire/Water (and we never had a Water/Fire since), then Gen 7 had Marshadow, and we never had a Ghost/Fighting either.

So I'm thinking if the trend continues, hoping it will be Grass/Fire.

2. A mythical clock pokemon. People were thinking there will be a pokemon based off the Big Ben. But there wasn't.

Prolly a Ghost-type clock pokemon of some sort.

What you guys think.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Both of those sound like great ideas, a cute little mythical clock pokemon would be fun, and Grass/Fire I will always welcome (though it must have either Chlorophyll or Flash Fire please, preferably Chlorophyll to be the best Sun pokemon out there).

I don't really have any hopes for the mythicals in particular, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the legendaries this gen, so I hope these mythicals are great!

Orphalesion

I'm not sure whether Gamefreak considers certain type combos to be mythical only (and I really, really hope they don't) there's a number of type combos that only been used once so far (such as water/grass which unfortunately is still unique to Ludicolo, introduced all the way back in Generation 3)

While I'm not really interested in mythicals, I do hope we get one resembling the red dragon on Runergius.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
So the data for gen 8 mythical pokemon haven't been found yet? My speculation is that instead of mythicals, non-galarian pokemon that exists within the game's code will take their place.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Maybe we will finally get a Ground/Fighting heavy hitter.

BCVM22

So the data for gen 8 mythical pokemon haven't been found yet? My speculation is that instead of mythicals, non-galarian pokemon that exists within the game's code will take their place.

It hasn’t (can’t) be found because it doesn’t exist. There are two empty slots for Pokémon, likely to be filled by future event Legendaries, and with that precaution taken, we the fanbase can’t hack the data and plaster the little buggers all over the internet months or even years before they want them to be.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I don't think there will be a Pokémon themed on the Big Ben. Kalos didn't get a Pokémon themed on the Eiffel Tower, and Unova didn't get a Pokémon themed on the Statue of Liberty. Instead, both of those landmarks had counterpart landmarks (Prism Tower and Liberty Garden, respectively). Big Ben also got something in the background in Wyndon, albeit unnamed, so it fits the pattern.

We did get a Pokémon themed on The Shard though, which is a much more recent landmark, in Gigantamax Duraludon.

Orphalesion

I don't think there will be a Pokémon themed on the Big Ben. Kalos didn't get a Pokémon themed on the Eiffel Tower, and Unova didn't get a Pokémon themed on the Statue of Liberty. Instead, both of those landmarks had counterpart landmarks (Prism Tower and Liberty Garden, respectively). Big Ben also got something in the background in Wyndon, albeit unnamed, so it fits the pattern.

We did get a Pokémon themed on The Shard though, which is a much more recent landmark, in Gigantamax Duraludon.

Yeah I dunno why so many people have this fixed idea of a "Big Ben" Pokemon. We have never gotten a building Pokemon (aside from Gigantamax Duraludon, and if we really, really stretch the definition Pallosand ) so there's no reason to expect a Big ben Pokemon (plus, as you point out it's in the game, in Wyndon)
And even so there's heaps of stereotypically British things that weren't turned into Pokemon, why the Clock Tower of all things?

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
“Big Ben” is attached to Rose’s hotel, it seems.

If anything, the Galar Hurricane (the Ferris wheel in Wyndon) seems more mysterious. We have its name dropped, and we can see it in the background, but that’s it.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yeah I dunno why so many people have this fixed idea of a "Big Ben" Pokemon. We have never gotten a building Pokemon (aside from Gigantamax Duraludon, and if we really, really stretch the definition Pallosand ) so there's no reason to expect a Big ben Pokemon (plus, as you point out it's in the game, in Wyndon)
And even so there's heaps of stereotypically British things that weren't turned into Pokemon, why the Clock Tower of all things?

I think the insistence of a Big Ben Pokémon comes from the fact that it's the most famous landmark in the UK, and for those who don't live in and have never visited the UK, that's probably the thing they most closely associate with the place. (Also, Big Ben is the name of a bell in the clock. The clock tower itself is Elizabeth Tower.)

I should point out we also got a Stonehenge Pokémon in Stonjourner. Stonehenge is, I'm certain, the second most famous landmark in the UK. (And Stakataka is sort of based on a building too, though not anything in particular.)

“Big Ben” is attached to Rose’s hotel, it seems.

If anything, the Galar Hurricane (the Ferris wheel in Wyndon) seems more mysterious. We have its name dropped, and we can see it in the background, but that’s it.

And Rose's hotel is based on the Palace of Westminster, which the real-life Big Ben is attached to.

I actually thought the Galar Hurricane (which is based on the London Eye) was going to be this game's Battle Tower considering the NPCs were talking about it and such. Maybe next game...

BCVM22

I don't think the question is why people were/are expecting a Big Ben Pokémon out of a UK-based region. I think the question is why people are expecting one of the two as-yet-unrevealed Legendary Pokémon to be based on Big Ben. There was nothing inherently American or New Yorker about Keldeo, Meloetta, or Genesect, there was nothing inherently French about Diancie, Hoopa, or Volcanion, and there was nothing inherently Hawaiian or islander about Magearna, Marshadow, or Zeraora.

The point is there is no specific reason or precedent to say "well, we're probably due a [UK Landmark] Legendary Pokémon."

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
and there was nothing inherently Hawaiian or islander about Magearna, Marshadow, or Zeraora.

For the most part you're right, but there's some speculation Marshadow may be based on a nightmarcher, which is a Hawaiian folklore term for the spirit of an ancient warrior.

BCVM22

I question the extent to which that and/or "some speculation" changes my point appreciably.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I question the extent to which that and/or "some speculation" changes my point appreciably.
It doesn't, hence this;
For the most part you're right,

I just think it's worth pointing out that there may be a connection between one of Alola's mythicals and Hawaiian culture. I actually am not sold on the connection myself, I think Marshadow's name is likely a combination of "Mars", the Roman god of war, and "Shadow", referencing its Fighting/Ghost typing.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Apparently GameFreak believes in certain element combos as mythical-only, the "sacred" element-combos. Gen 6 had Volcanion Fire/Water (and we never had a Water/Fire since), then Gen 7 had Marshadow, and we never had a Ghost/Fighting either
Gen 3 had Shedinja Bug/Ghost and we never had a Bug/Ghost since... some typings only have one representative so far, it just happens some of those are mythical.

Orphalesion

(Also, Big Ben is the name of a bell in the clock. The clock tower itself is Elizabeth Tower.)

I think most people who are calling for a Big Ben Pokemon mean the tower, though.

That being said... I can see a Bell-based Pokemon being a lot more feasible....and quite interesting!

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
As long as at least one is something like Volcanion or Zeraora, I’m pleased. I don’t really care for the small cute pixies ones outside of Victini

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Somehow I think that a clock themed mythical Pokemon could work. I know that Gamefreak has done the time themed mythical/legendary Pokemon idea before with Celebi and Dialga, but maybe third time's the charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.