• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So there will be 2 more mythical pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I just think it's worth pointing out that there may be a connection between one of Alola's mythicals and Hawaiian culture. I actually am not sold on the connection myself, I think Marshadow's name is likely a combination of "Mars", the Roman god of war, and "Shadow", referencing its Fighting/Ghost typing.

My interpretation was "martial" + "shadow." Of course, Mars's name is the etymology of "martial," so it's not like they're totally unrelated.

Well, if I had to guess, I say one of them will be small and cute, and the other will be big and tough.

That's my guess too. It's been this pattern since Generation III, and I'm guessing it's to cast as wide a net as possible, since fans of small and cute Pokémon tend not to like the big and tough ones too much and vice versa.

And then there's the Meltan line, which achieves both by making the basic stage small and cute and the evolved stage big and tough. Perhaps that's what this will be, actually: a single Mythical Pokémon, but one that evolves. It'll make distribution easier, that's for sure.

I think most people who are calling for a Big Ben Pokemon mean the tower, though.

That being said... I can see a Bell-based Pokemon being a lot more feasible....and quite interesting!

I know that's what they mean. The Big Ben bell is often mistaken for the tower to a similar extent that Frankenstein's monster is often just called "Frankenstein." (Incidentally, considering the original novel is from the UK, and the monster is something of a legend in the story, I think that'd make for an interesting Mythical Pokémon, though Magearna is an already-existing Mythical Pokémon based on an artificial humanoid lifeform created long ago. Or maybe a Pokémon based on Frankenstein's monster was just something on my wishlist that didn't happen. Then again, Cara Liss does seem to be something of a Dr. Frankenstein kind of character.)

We do have Bronzong in this game though, which is the closest Pokémon to a clock tower bell.

Gargoss

Hotshot
And then there's the Meltan line, which achieves both by making the basic stage small and cute and the evolved stage big and tough. Perhaps that's what this will be, actually: a single Mythical Pokémon, but one that evolves. It'll make distribution easier, that's for sure.
For this Gen, I'm thinking it might be more along the lines of a smaller Mythical Pokémon that is capable of Gigantamaxing into some seriously powerful Colossus of a Legendary.
What about the previously rumoured, but debunked Trojan Horse Pokémon for something like that?

TwilightBlade

I like that GF decided not to pre-program the mythical Pokemon into the games this time and instead left their data out of them altogether to avoid the usual leaks. Now I'm excited to see what the two mystery mythicals of Generation 8 will be based off of.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm not 100% sure what to expect with regards to any of these supposed DLC Mythical Pokemon, although I assume that at least one of them will be a generically cute Mythical like Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, etc. I'm intrigued by Game Freak's decision to leave out any Mythical Pokemon data from these games, though. It was a good decision.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
There was nothing inherently American or New Yorker about Keldeo, Meloetta, or Genesect,

Actually, Meloetta's formes can be traced to the development of New York-style jazz during the 1920s. The Aria forme references Orchestral Jazz, while the Pirouette forme references Swing.

Genesect references ancient insects, among the oldest being the Cockroach, a common pest found in New York and the United States in general. Its name, in addition to 'genesis', could be a reference to the A. Cockroach Genome, the second-largest and most basic genome of all of insects, containing repetitive material going back nearly 300 million years, the same span as Genesect.

Keldeo... well, you got me on Keldeo. lol

BCVM22

Actually, Meloetta's formes can be traced to the development of New York-style jazz during the 1920s. The Aria forme references Orchestral Jazz, while the Pirouette forme references Swing.

Genesect references ancient insects, among the oldest being the Cockroach, a common pest found in New York and the United States in general. Its name, in addition to 'genesis', could be a reference to the A. Cockroach Genome, the second-largest and most basic genome of all of insects, containing repetitive material going back nearly 300 million years, the same span as Genesect.

These are reaches of the highest/furthest possible order. Genesect is definitely not a reference to New York City cockroaches (New York City cockroaches are even more overpowered).

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
These are reaches of the highest/furthest possible order. Genesect is definitely not a reference to New York City cockroaches (New York City cockroaches are even more overpowered).

Genesect's references could possibly have a reach, but Meloetta's is quite obvious.

She looks like a Jazz singer, not to mention the pirouette is a (semi)common dance move in swing jazz.

EDIT: I would like to point out, however, that the 300 million year bit is indeed a reference to cockroaches, and the species that holds that distinction the deepest is the American Cockroach.

Last edited:

BCVM22

It's still a reach. "It's a reference to New York City because the Pokémon is singing/dancing-themed and New York City has a rich musical history." Both things are accurate but that doesn't make them related.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It's still a reach. "It's a reference to New York City because the Pokémon is singing/dancing-themed and New York City has a rich musical history." Both things are accurate but that doesn't make them related.

I'm just going to suggest you learn about jazz and leave it at that.

BCVM22

Okay. I appreciate the suggestion. Perhaps I'll learn enough to write a song titled "Quite a Reach"

Carkol

2. A mythical clock pokemon. People were thinking there will be a pokemon based off the Big Ben. But there wasn't.
Okay, sorry I didn't imply that a clock pokemon had to be based off the Big Ben, just any clock in general.

Anyways, looking at when mythicals were 1st revealed the last 2 gens, at their Bulbepedia articles..

Diancie officially revealed March 2014 CoroCoro magazine.

Hoopa Confined and Unbound was officially revealed Feb. 2015 CoroCoro magazine, and May 2015 CoroCoro magazine.

Volcanion was officially revealed December 2015.

For Gen 7, Magearna was actualy revealed before the Sun and Moon games.

Marshadow officially revealed April 7, 2017.

So if we follow this pattern, what does it mean. It means likely the 1st mythical will be revealed next spring, between March and April.

I think a Crown Jewels mythical Pokémon would be appropriate. Possibly Rock/Ghost
GameFreak has not made 2 mythical pokemon of the same element yet. Even with Shaymin and Hoopa forms.

Carkol

Keldeo... well, you got me on Keldeo. lol
Ah, Keldeo is the 4th musketeer. Some people saw the 3 musketeers pokemon were signs that the next region will be in France, which is something to say after we find out it is.

Though if I were to get off topic a bit, what region do you guys hope Gen 9 will be based off? I'm personally hoping for a Spanish region, so even Central or South America or Spain, preferably where it has pyramids. That'd be neat for an archaeological Rock/Ghost pokemon, though they could always do 1 in the Ultra Beast found in a wormhole location.

Marzbar

GameFreak has not made 2 mythical pokemon of the same element yet. Even with Shaymin and Hoopa forms.
What is your point exactly? I said a Crown Jewels Rock / Ghost type Pokémon, and what element does that imply or copy??

Orphalesion

Do u think these 2 are event mythicals?

I think it's most likely. In the past there always were some event Pokemon programmed into the games which were then discovered through data mines, so it's likely that these two are event Pokemon and gamefreak just removed most of their data so they wouldn't be mined.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I'm hoping that at least one of the mythicals will be one of whatever those statues in Hammerlocke are depicting, since they don't seem to really match any existing pokemon but are very distinct in design (especially that griffon-like dragon head seen in the opening cutscene when you first enter the city). Though ideally I'd prefer our first griffon not be a mythical but a pokemon that can be used in standard battles.

Phillies

I wonder how they will distribute them. Will it be by their normal means or could they release them through special max raid battles.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Though if I were to get off topic a bit, what region do you guys hope Gen 9 will be based off? I'm personally hoping for a Spanish region, so even Central or South America or Spain, preferably where it has pyramids. That'd be neat for an archaeological Rock/Ghost pokemon, though they could always do 1 in the Ultra Beast found in a wormhole location.

I'd like to see them have a desert setting for the main series games, as they haven't done that yet. (Orre was a nice start though.) If they do that, I'd like them to cover southeastern Australia, the Texas Triangle or Southern California, as while they are all associated with an arid climate, they have a variety of biomes. They're also heavily populated and have distinct, famous cultures with unique wildlife.

I'm hoping that at least one of the mythicals will be one of whatever those statues in Hammerlocke are depicting, since they don't seem to really match any existing pokemon but are very distinct in design (especially that griffon-like dragon head seen in the opening cutscene when you first enter the city). Though ideally I'd prefer our first griffon not be a mythical but a pokemon that can be used in standard battles.

To be fair, a griffon IS a mythical creature.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I wonder how they will distribute them. Will it be by their normal means or could they release them through special max raid battles.

Anything but Pokemon Pass.
I'd love it if we could actually get more than one Pokemon by just sitting at home and downloading it the way it should be done. No apps, special stores, or other crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.