• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So uhhh.. Gaming is good for you..

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a94085/research-non-gamers-more-anti-social.html

LOLARTICLE said:
A $1.5 million dollar US study into the global video games industry has found that non-gamers are more prone to anti-social behaviour.

The Government-backed research, headed up by PHD Lawrence Kutner, surveyed around 1,300 young people across the US and concluded there is "absolutely no evidence" that video games lead children to a life of crime.

Most interesting is that the study revealed that playing games gives young males "social confidence", while those who don't play video games had a "significantly greater risk" of becoming anti-social.

Kutner told X-Play: "It seems that playing video games for boys is a marker of social confidence. That surprised us.

"It's interesting if you look at what happened a year ago at Virgina Tech... [the attacker's] suitemates who he shared a dorm room with said that he didn't play video games at all and that struck them as really odd because everyone else did. And that fell right in line with our research findings, that the kids who don't play at all are actually at greater risk... It says something about their social relationships.

"If you look at violent crime in the US over the past 20 years among teenagers, it's gone down and gone down significantly, and if you look at video game play, it's gone up significantly."

But Kutner noted that youngsters who play adult-rated violent video games for more than 15 hours a week could be at greater risk of getting into trouble.

Wow, that's interesting... To be fair though, we don't have the full details of the study. There are some surveys that are so vague that people can draw any conclusion they want from it.

Clash

He's Back!
Seems logical. Everybody plays games these days, it's a good way to find people who like what you like, through games.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Here's the answer, people who are playing video games all the time are too busy owning to do anything antisocial! :D

Interesting news though, really.

Jinchuuriki Hunter

Johto Champion Ninja
How interesting...I've been trying to play the same games my classmates play so I could be closer to them. (They didn't catch my interest for long though...)
And then I find this.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
sounds logic to me, it's true at younger ages children need to make friends to
build up a social life to learn how to communicate.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
article said:
But Kutner noted that youngsters who play adult-rated violent video games for more than 15 hours a week could be at greater risk of getting into trouble.
this is the only part im wondering about..

Dattebayo

Banned
Wow, that's an interesting find. Let's see if Jack Thompson can explain that.

HyenaHaze

Serial Experiment
Wow, that's an interesting find. Let's see if Jack Thompson can explain that.

"But being an antisocial psychopath is a mission in the game!" Riiiight.

Anyways, I think this mostly works for RPGs. They're "social". WoW nerds unite!

Rave

Banned
I also remember reading somewhere that playing games makes kids less violent too.

Profesco

gone gently
Playing Pokemon has helped me to be more socially active.

I would like to know the differences between the genres, as well as how easily the data collected can be manipulated.

Yes, games like Mario Kart Wii support this claim, with the nifty bonus of the sudden urge to throw a banana at the driver at your rear.