1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

So Virgil was pretty much pointless?

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by BlueDragonfangirl, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueDragonfangirl

BlueDragonfangirl Well-Known Member

He didn't add any thing to the league!!! What did you think of this guy? He wasn't even able to battle Ash, what was the point in adding him?

2. pokeaussie37

pokeaussie37 Well-Known Member

Well someone has to win the league! XD

On reflection, Virgil is basically a CotD who happened to win the league, as opposed to the League-only rival that we have become accustomed to in the most recent sagas (Tyson, Morrison, Tobias). Again, also something different that Ash wasn't beaten by the eventual league winner as was the case in Hoenn and Sinnoh. A notion that Ash's team was inferior to his past ones? Perhaps, we can't be sure. But his Unova team still has about 35-40 episodes to make their mark.

You cannot call him pointless, he was the man to win the league, it just so happened that his main appearance was as a CotD.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  3. AceDetective

AceDetective Banned

we can't say that until were certain Virgil won't appear again.

He may have a big role in the N arc

4. BlueDragonfangirl

BlueDragonfangirl Well-Known Member

They could have done it better than, they didn't have to introduce him as the last second and have him battle some other random rival that we won't ever see again. Why do we need to see him fight some kid with an IQ of a rock?

5. pokeaussie37

pokeaussie37 Well-Known Member

I second that, like I said there's still a while before the Unova saga concludes.

Furthermore, in my opinion his team was, whilst being very good, was inferior to Tyson and Tobias (Tobias for obvious reasons), so I would not hesitate to call him an inferior league winner. I would expect the winner of the Pokemon league to have a stronger team, in all honesty.

Note: I do not think they did it well either, but that's the way it is.

6. ShinyCharyZard

ShinyCharyZard Honesty=Infractions

He was always only there to promote Eevee and its evolutions. The league victory was just a little bonus for him..

7. An00bis

An00bis Wicked Witch

Sometimes the best answer is also the most obvious.

It doesn't look like they're done promoting Eevee, either, so we might very well see Virgil again.

8. Pepsi_Plunge

Pepsi_Plunge Dojyaaa~~aan

Apparently then wanted us to meet the league winner, I don't think it was necesarily pointless.

9. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

First off!

Not as pointless as Cameron's Watchog! xD

To me, there was no difference between either Katharine, Dino, Antonio, Ramone and Virgil. Yes, Virgil got his own episode, but so did Katharine, while the others got several episodes.

The only reason why he was focused on a bit more was so they can promote Eeveelutions. It's not even about Virgil.. Hence, Virgil was a pointless marketing tool in order to give Eeveelutions broadcast time.

Fully comply.

Nope, because we also met Katharine, Dino and Antonio.. It's because of the Eevee's, that's all it is.

We also 'met' Katharine before, not to mention that Dino and Antonio already had four episodes worth of screentime. Not sure if Ramone stuck around after his loss in the Junior Cup..

The only difference was that they wanted to plug their Eevee's..

10. gliscor&yanmega

gliscor&yanmega Well-Known Member

To have a winner.

It's not like the writers ever stated he'd be super important, they just deiced to give the future winner of the league an episode of his own. He doesn't have to battle Ash, Ash can't battle everyone.

11. jetlag45

jetlag45 the dark traveler

12. ludiloco

ludiloco Well-Known Member

I expected Virgil as the Champion but I didn't want him to be for three main reasons:

1. He was supposed to be there only to promote eeveelutions, but Jolteon, Glaceon and leafeon were completely shafted in the League, and follow the pattern of the bland character winning the league (special mantion for Takuto, he was bland but at least he had legendaries).

2. He won the Unova League without using native Unova pokemon from the original Unova dex.

3. The most recent reason was that he completely outclassed Kotetsu defeating him 3-0, the one that eliminated Ash from the league. That makes the main character get even a worse impression in this League.

Personally, I'd prefered Kotetsu to defeat Virgil and Dino to win the league but since the major hate the former received during the league that wouldn't have happened without occasioning a massive rage.

3/10 league for me. Even Kanto showed better battles without top-notch animation.

13. AceDetective

AceDetective Banned

all that means is he only needed 5 pokemon to defeat Kotetsu.

14. Pepsi_Plunge

Ddidnt use eevee an still had two up. he won 6-3, pretty crazy, he probably was smart and countered the two stronger ones and the others Kotetsu probably helped him win by making stupid decisions.

15. jetlag45

jetlag45 the dark traveler

i never thought about this one....now that i have, i would like to claim the Unova league BULLSTUFF for the pure fact that unova was the first region were it was specifically mentioned that no older pokes were there so the league shoulda been unova only pokes....now i understand the writers tried to explain the older pokes came to unova, but that was a few months (at most, i tihnk they said 3months or sumtihn like that) before the league sooo theres no way all these unova trainers could get used too battling alll these new (well new to them) pokes. thats just my thoughts tho n i would like to think that alot of u agree with this.

soo then wut was cameron/kotetsu 6th poke then, like i said i cant see the silhouettes cause they r too small

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  16. Umbilical Noose

Umbilical Noose Bonzo Nut

What is better John Dickson or Virgil? They both won the league yet Ash never got a chance to battle them. I think Virgil was better cause at least this time we knew the person who won the league. Investing an episode in such a character is better than having a stranger win the league.

17. Pepsi_Plunge

Exactly that was the point of his characters, specially since he doesn't even appear in the anime and the producers only mentioned one new rival in the BW2 Arc, ultimatelly Virgil was rival because they were disputing the same thing but it was clearly diferent then others, besides people that doubted it he alwayus had that vibe that he was going to win it.

18. XanderCage

XanderCage Loose Cannon Cop

Someone had to beat Cameron, they needed someone in the league other than Ash to take down the dimwit.

19. DMerle

DMerle Guess who's back

He could still re-appear, also lets not forget that all we've got to see of some of the league winners is a brief shot of there picture on the leaderboard. In my books it's good to get to know the guy who's going to win.

20. the1stpkmnfan

the1stpkmnfan Your Big Buff Bro

"Japanese Staff: Hey, Virgil! Thank you so much for helping promote the Eevee line up! As huge thanks for our increased sales in merchandise, we would like to award you the title of Unova Champion! Congrats! Good luck at the Elite 4! :)"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.