• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So what's the pacing going to be dictated by?

Soniman

Break the Limit
We no longer have gym battles so is it gonna be replaced by Z crystals?

Can we assume that Ash will only be getting the "main story" crystals and all the extra ones will be dummied out or given to other people?

Or will Kahuna battles be used as the new way to determine the pace? Given how they're only four of them I doubt it.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
For the SM Non-Filler List, I've added a small clause bullet point that dictates that the gaining or loss of Z-Crystals are non-filler. I'd say the crystals are like badges for now.

Janovy

Banned
There's no reason not to expect Ash to get every Z-crystal.

I think the anime might even expand on the games and force Ash to battle for Z-crystals that you just randomly receive in the games.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I only expect him to get the type crystals, even the ones he doesn't have yet. Like Fairy, Ghost, Psychic, and Steel. Given if Sandslash and Decidueye happen he'd have use for those. And he could always end up getting a Psychic next gen.

He really has no use for Eeveenium or Alola Raichunium though given he'll never own those

WaterTypeWarrior

I can see him getting Pikashunium so Pikachu can use 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt.

I wonder how that Z-crystal could be introduced... Odds are it would be a previously undiscovered Z-crystal that Ash and Pikachu find, and one of the other characters give it the name, similar to Bonnie naming Ash-Greninja.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
If he gets every Z-Crystal, he'll need a team with movesets that allow him to use every Z-Move.

I also expect him to get Pikashunium-Z and either Decidium-Z or Incinium-z, depending on which one will be his ace.

Red and Blue

If he gets every Z-Crystal, he'll need a team with movesets that allow him to use every Z-Move.

I also expect him to get Pikashunium-Z and either Decidium-Z or Incinium-z, depending on which one will be his ace.

That might work. Pikachu covers three of the eighteen type crystals and Rowlett two. Litten can cover two since it can learn both fire and dark type moves. His four other Pokemon just need to know types from the other eleven types

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Forgot Primarium, he probably isn't getting that either.

I wonder how that Z-crystal could be introduced... Odds are it would be a previously undiscovered Z-crystal that Ash and Pikachu find, and one of the other characters give it the name, similar to Bonnie naming Ash-Greninja.

I want Ash himself to name it.

Well unless he gets a Type: Null, there's not exactly any Pokemon around who can learn a Fairy move that suits Ash.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

Can we assume that Ash will only be getting the "main story" crystals and all the extra ones will be dummied out or given to other people?

Or will Kahuna battles be used as the new way to determine the pace? Given how they're only four of them I doubt it.

I think both the Totem Pokémon battles and the Kahuna battles will count as our Gym battles this time around. I agree with U.N. Owen that Z-Crystals are probably going to be the badges of Alola. I think Ash will receive Z-Crystals not only from the Kahunas, but also from Trial Captains and/or some of the Totem Pokémon. With that said, I think both the Trials and the Grand Trials will determine the pacing of this series.

I assume Ash is going to get the Z-Crystals one earns by passing the Trials and Grand Trials (which may actually foreshadow the eventual type lineup of his team, but that's a discussion for another thread). He will probably also get Pikanium-Z (or Pikashunium-Z), Decidium-Z (if Rowlet fully evolves), and/or Incinium-Z (if he catches Litten and it fully evolves). As for the Z-Crystals that are not earned through Trials or Grand Trials... Hopefully, the anime writers make Ash battle for those, or at least do something to genuinely earn them.

The only Z-Crystals I'm certain Ash will not get are Eevium-Z, Aloraichium-Z, and the legendary Pokémon-exclusive Z-Crystals. Those Z-Crystals, and their corresponding Z-moves, will no doubt be shown off at some point (if not in the show proper, then in the movies), but I don't see Ash with an Eevee anytime soon (there aren't any new Eeveelutions this generation), and he sure ain't getting an Alolan Raichu.

IIRC, Kiawe said that Z-moves are related to the bond between a Pokémon and its Trainer - specifically, the feelings of Pokémon and Trainer becoming one. If that's the case, then I can see Ash and Pikachu's strong bond giving rise to a new, never before seen Z-move. Or - and this is probably more likely, IMO - Tapu Koko or one of the other Tapus gifts Ash with the Pikashunium-Z after it has deemed Ash as truly the Chosen One.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Unlikely, though in-game obtaining Z-Crystals serve a similar situation to obtaining badges, vast chunk of the Z-Crystals are either post-game, obtained during Team Skull shenanigans, found on floor or whathaveyou.

More than likely yes.

Or will Kahuna battles be used as the new way to determine the pace?

Sort of, since Kahuna's are the main boss battles for the game, but real "challanges", in the meaning you are trying to say, are the Totem Pokémon, which are the "real" substitutes to Gym Battles, which are the primary meat and butter of the trials in-game.

Kahuna battles happen only after all totems are defeated(with the exception of Hapu's battle, which occurs before Kommo-o).

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I only expect him to get the type crystals, even the ones he doesn't have yet. Like Fairy, Ghost, Psychic, and Steel. Given if Sandslash and Decidueye happen he'd have use for those. And he could always end up getting a Psychic next gen.

I dunno if Ash should even attain all the type Z Crystals. I just don't like the idea of him getting all of them since I doubt he'll have a chance to use them all any ways, but he could definitely get the Decidium Z crystal if he has Decidueye at some point.