• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So why exactly wasn’t “the kiss” shown?

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
We all know what I’m talking about. Looking back as it; it always seemed weird they decided to censor the specific event when it’s debatable that’s the most taboo thing the anime has done

Because they are 10 years old, even in Japan, that's like 2 years too young.

J. D. Guy

I realized that the "shot of the characters legs, with one character approaching the other to imply a kiss" thing might be cultural short hand in general. Recently, a South Korean cartoon series' ending song had this when the girl in the group worked up the courage to express her feelings for one of the boys in said group. It was framed this way, where we see the two characters legs as they stand, and the girl approaches the boy. In this case, the motion she makes before turning away implies the kiss more heavily.

But they still framed it that way. Maybe it's a normal way of framing such scenes in some Asian cultures?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It most likely is.

The scene of the girl going to the tip of their feet is the usual cue for an obvious unseen kissing scene.

And I do love how Yajima playing around with the idea and included the escalator to represent "forced separation"

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
And I do love how Yajima playing around with the idea and included the escalator to represent "forced separation"

I dunno what he was thinking. He and his cohorts milked Serena's crush for all it was worth but in the end they couldn't even show 1 measly on screen kiss? It was the ultimate troll move no matter how this Yajima person tries to explain himself.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I dunno what he was thinking. He and his cohorts milked Serena's crush for all it was worth but in the end they couldn't even show 1 measly on screen kiss? It was the ultimate troll move no matter how this Yajima person tries to explain himself.

You fail to understand the significance of a first kiss in Japan. It's not casual like in American society. It's something you reserve for the one that you love, and it's a private matter. It's an intimate act more akin to making out at the back of the car (or more). This is why you don't see Link and Zelda kiss each other mouth to mouth, even in games that imply it:

z2_kiss2.gif

For a kiss to be done in a Japanese children's television show, it has to be done off-screen or implied. The actual kiss is forbidden which is why you don't see kissing between Kukui and Burnett, not even in the wedding. And honestly, the way Serena moves her feet and the reaction from Bonnie and Pikachu is honestly more explicit than actually showing the kiss. Less is more.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Why is Japan treated like an alternate universe compared to other parts of the world? I realize that obviously it has different cultures and ideals due to it being somewhere else and I’m not doubting the validity of people claims but if I didn’t know any better I would think it isn’t apart of the 7 continents.

You fail to understand the significance of a first kiss in Japan. It's not casual like in American society. It's something you reserve for the one that you love, and it's a private matter. It's an intimate act more akin to making out at the back of the car (or more).
Okay but this can’t be universal because literally the first episode of Naruto made a joke of Sasuke and Naruto being each other’s first kiss. And if memory serves me right it aired on the same channel as Pokémon in Japan. Are you strictly referring to children themed shows?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Japan has strange values. The kid-friendly Pokemon airs right next to Naruto, which is certainly NOT kid-friendly.
I always saw the kiss as a puberty thing. I don't even remember when I was 10 years old, me or anyone else were into kissing, in which I believe it's the show targeted audience.

As Yajima said, any ambiguity the moment has was to get in to TV in the first place. Clearly they couldn't show the kiss, so the way Serena moves her feet, the reaction from Bonnie, Clement, and Pikachu, as well as the following reactions from Ash and Serena serve as explicit confirmation itself

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Why is Japan treated like an alternate universe compared to other parts of the world? I realize that obviously it has different cultures and ideals due to it being somewhere else and I’m not doubting the validity of people claims but if I didn’t know any better I would think it isn’t apart of the 7 continents.

Okay but this can’t be universal because literally the first episode of Naruto made a joke of Sasuke and Naruto being each other’s first kiss. And if memory serves me right it aired on the same channel as Pokémon in Japan. Are you strictly referring to children themed shows?

Because we are used to the West being the center of the world, especially in the United States. Live in any other country, and you'll find things in the United States that seems utterly alien. Like the persistent belief that all cartoons are made for little children and not for adults (something that doesn't really exist in other countries).

Oh, and I've already explained Naruto's situation:

Naruto is more violent and aimed for an older audience than Pokémon. Although we call Pokémon a shōnen show, it is technically kodomo-muke (aimed for children 3-10). And not just the anime, the entire franchise is considered to be kodomo-muke, including Pokémon Special.

Thus, something like a lip kiss is very risky to do in a Pokémon show.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Like I said in page 1, a kiss in the lips in pokemon is apparently so forbidden that they can't even show it for a pair of consenting adults who just married

Applecorp

I do think that they should've shown the kiss fully on screen if it was just a small kiss any way but I get that the production team's hands were tied.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
how Kukui and Burnet got a child in development by the end of SM.

"in development"

Damn, when did babies become tech company projects?

Obvious agenda is obvious lol

Edit: Here's the specific context for people who don't want to search things up
- From the interview

----

The kiss scene is indeed meant to be Serena kissing Satoshi, and his reaction to it is surprised awe, any ambiguity the scene has is so they could get it on TV in the first place.*

Interviewer:
“I didn’t watch the final episode, so this might be a dumb question, but what happened to Serena’s love, did she and Satoshi become a couple in the end?".

Tetsuo Yajima: “They didn’t become a couple in the episode itself, but the way I ended it is meant to make you understand that they’re probably going to become one later. Serena tells Satoshi that she’s going to improve herself and then come back to him. And then she does something absolutely incredible when she leaves (laughs). She’s meant to be kissing him in that scene, but since I couldn’t just have them kissing on screen, I had Serena’s feet “float” upwards instead.".

----

Really, the interview is full of so much great content and cool little nuggets of trivia

Whoever let the interviewer interview without having watched the final episode should be fired? How are more people not talking about that? wtf?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
"in development"

Damn, when did babies become tech company projects?

Kukui is a researcher. He probably see making babies as the same thing as finding out more about moves

Also, aren't there families who say having children is some sort of live project?

86Pokéfan

Bianca/latios kissed on the cheek though

Everytime I rewatch that scene...I ironically had the same thinking as Misty..."Was that Bianca...or Latias?". To this day....no answer...

86Pokéfan

I was actually hoping to see the kiss scene to see Ash's (Satoshi) facial expression and character development change because of it.

I maybe can see why it wasn't shown but I think most of the reasons has been answered, however if I may...it may be linked to unwanted behavior because kids are curious. They may see romantic behavior at home so kids might want to try it. However the writers/storyboard artists, director, and other key individuals felt not to risk such a backlash...

...still...it would've been great to see an alternate version of the episode for older Pokéfans to watch...