• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So, why is every pokemon's name in capitals?

Seriously? I get called a hacker because I named my LUGIA Lugia. Why? Why would they do that? I hate it. My pokemon does not need to be named in capitals, when we all refer to them in non-capitals. Boy, do I love my LUXRAY!

mr.lucario

i totaly agree thats so annoying

sandos

Don't Blink
In older games, I think you'll find that, instead of just capitalising the first letter in names and other proper nouns, they just put it all in capitals, because of limitations or something. I think, in the newer games, they jut put the first letter in capitals, but I'm not sure coz I haven't played them for a while. To be honest, they'd just be lazy to capitalise the wole word now.

I might be wrong about this; I'm not very experienced.

;448;

Daaku JJ

That is a very good question, but it isn't just done with pokemon names, it's done with everything that isn't normal chit-chat, i under stand it from earlier generations but not the most recent ones.

Jerre

Gogoat!
Every attack name, Pokémon name, Trainer/Gymleader name, Item name and place name are in capitals. I didn't care about it but it's just like they spoke it out very loud.

Grumpig

Exams already?!
It is annoying, but it's not really that important...

Every attack name, Pokémon name, Trainer/Gymleader name, Item name and place name are in capitals. I didn't care about it but it's just like they spoke it out very loud.

Actually, in DP they've properly capitalized all of them... except for the Pokémon names. I don't know why they stopped there, it wouldn't have been too hard to do it... Maybe next gen.

danburite

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN
I nickname my Pokemon in capitals because that's how it's always been. This "proper grammar" nonsense in D/P looks too out of place.

Jian Zi

Wulin Warrior
I never liked the names being in all caps either. At least the names of the characters aren't all in capitals now.

There's other ways to make certain words stand out other than making them all capitals. I know in some games (Ocarina of Time comes to mind) important words were a different color.

Polursine

Leave my posts alone
It's to grab your attention.

What's the difference between, say;

Wild STARLY appeared!
GO! TURTWIG!
TURTWIG used RAZOR LEAF!
Critical Hit!
Wild STARLY fainted!

and

Wild Starly appeared!
Go! Turtwig!
Turtwig used Razor Leaf!
Critical Hit!
Wild Starly fainted!

Sure, there's the influence of pronouns, but with big letters, you can see the highlights of what is happening in the battle. You'd probably miss something if it weren't in capitals. It's no biggy, but what if you were keeping tally on how many attacks you can use for EVs, or something?...

Ed Phoenix

Pesky Boy
I think it's to make the pokemon stand out more. I'm just thankful that the people don't have their names in ALL CAPS.

ahmad_bulba

IM FINALLY 13!! :D
i hate i tooo...though i dont write my poke names with capitals and iv never got caught...

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
I always liked it. I could read it out loud every now and then and it's just rediculous. "Hi! I'm looking for a WURMPLE! I see a lot of WURMPLE aorund here!!!"

Silly.

blendmaster0505

******** Guy
I don't like it for trainers. BUt for PKMN it's okay for me. =P

Clash

He's Back!
I think it's just basically to put emphasis on their names. Some newbies might not know some Pokemon names, therefore whenever you see a name in capitals, it's most likely a Pokemon name. I don't care whether the names are in caps or not, it just looks like every time you say a Pokemon's name you have to scream it out.