• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

So, will the Wii `Break the Barriers`?

Cenodoxus

SMILE.LIKEYOUMEANIT
Since the unveiling of Nintendo´s new name for their next-gen console, their motto has been "playing is believing". They explained more than once that what they want to do is unite all kinds of different people, may they be hardcore gamers, their parents or their otherwise uninterested in videogaming friends, under the innovative light of the Wii. Basically, they promise that what their console will do is ´break the barriers between videogamers and everyone else´. If Nintendo does succeed and attracts casual gamers as well as people completely new to the world of games, videogaming should become a thing as mainstream as the Internet (just with less people): a sizeable amount of people of all ages and differentiating features would play them and consoles would stop being a hardcore or gamer-exclusive thing that is weird or ´geeky´ past teenage.

Now that the Wii´s full potential and upcoming titles were unveiled at E3 2006, much of the gaming population agrees: the Wii will be great. But regarding its ultimate goal, bringing videogames to all kinds of people everywhere, wills are undecided.

So in your opinion, will the Wii really bring people that would´ve never thought of picking up a controller into gaming and make videogames mainstream, or will it be another console with good games?

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Well, it's got a price that someone who isn't TOO much into games would be okay with ($249.99 max), simple gameplay in some games, and really good support.

My dad used to play video games with me on NES and SNES (and actually he still does on NES and SNES), but since N64, he hasn't been playing at all, except for Mario Kart 64. Even on Mario Kart: Double Dash!! he couldn't play too well because it was too complicated. That was what was great about NES and SNES: Anyone could just pick them up and play them and have a truly great time.

With Wii, with 2 main buttons and motion-sensitivity, it definitely looks like something my dad would play with me, like on a fishing simulation game or a sports game.

I really think it'll break some barriers. Perhaps not attract every casual and non-gamer, but it's a start.

Basically, no it won't.

Bulk

Well, last gen lost and isolated a lot of people. At the start of that gen, people were saying that by this gen games would be as mainstream as films. IMO, it did the opposite. Last gen, games received ALOT of criticism, mostly towards GTA, online scared off quite a few casual gamers and Nintendo lost ALOT of the market. If Nintendo hadn't made this move, we'd be bored stiff and there would be another gen after this.

I think by the end of the next gen, the Wii will have pushed the boundaries and if they make something even more revolutionary, then it'll break the boundaries. For now, it'll push and topple a few but won't become as mainstream as films, imo.

Konosuke

I am Erureido
i must say...i didnt like the Xbox because of its controller and at first the GC because of the same reason and was one of the unrelenting Sony fans....till i got into gaming puberty.

I believe that the Wii will make more people want to play because of its simplicity and cheap price compared to the impossibly high $600 price on the PS3 and the most likely drop by $50 to $100 to the Xbox 360 (thus, i also believe this next gen will be the last gen Sony plays a part in).

But, it wont be exactly as Nintendo wants it. Not this gen. But, possibly...maybe the next....

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
AndrewWonderful said:
Basically, no it won't.
Sony fanboy alert

I believe it is going to reinvent the gaming industry - by allowing everyone to play the games - it makes games more worthwile and gives people more chances to have multiplayer games since they dont always have friends who can come over and play. Introducing the system to the whole family was a great marketing plan.

The control scheme will make more since for Shooters and Sword Fighting because instead of pushing that Analog Stick and having to move a cursor or whatever, you can just point and shoot on the screen. It goes back to the roots of gaming with the Arcade Style design which makes it really awesome.

As well - they system is only $250, and $50 less without the DVD Player attachment I believe.

It's already blown PS3 away ;)

~Scott;229;

Foo

^I pity da
It won't break all the barriers. But it will break some. The PS2, for example, has a lot of buttons. The Wii, however, only has like 3 buttons, and is motion-controlled. Imagine how simple and intuitive it is going to be just to move it!

...In short, yes.

MidnightScott said:
Sony fanboy alert

I believe it is going to reinvent the gaming industry - by allowing everyone to play the games - it makes games more worthwile and gives people more chances to have multiplayer games since they dont always have friends who can come over and play. Introducing the system to the whole family was a great marketing plan.

The control scheme will make more since for Shooters and Sword Fighting because instead of pushing that Analog Stick and having to move a cursor or whatever, you can just point and shoot on the screen. It goes back to the roots of gaming with the Arcade Style design which makes it really awesome.

As well - they system is only $250, and $50 less without the DVD Player attachment I believe.

It's already blown PS3 away ;)

~Scott;229;
Considering my two favorite games of all time are on Nintendo systems, I'd say no.

RedStarWarrior

Forum Tsar
Given that even elderly who have never played video games before were able to have fun during product testing, I'd say it will be a hit. Besides, titles like Wii Sports will definately allow for exercise while remaining in the comfort of your home. That is always a big plus.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
AndrewWonderful said:
Considering my two favorite games of all time are on Nintendo systems, I'd say no.

I only said that because all you posted was a few words and didn't explain why ;)
Not trying to be mean or anything really :D

I also like the fact that we may be able to have customization - I found it hilarious when I saw the faces of the Nintendo employees on characters in the games, lol. (Saw it in Game Informer or Nintendo Power...)

~Scott;229;