• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soak:a great move or useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky505

It would have much better potential in Doubles if paired with a Discharge user, but sadly there are no -Ground-type Soak users :/
IIRC Lightningrod Seaking isn't hurt by electric moves

Soperman

The One and Only
Maybe if you could turn pokemon into other types as well, it would be good. Otherwise, its nice to take away STAB sometimes.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I don't see how Soak would make Shedinja immortal. If anything, it'd get new weaknesses. Anyway, it's pretty useless most of the time. You can just switch and the effect will wear off.
The idea is to reduce the amount of weakensses it has. 2 is less than 5, and their idea of a switch-in probably has less of a chance to carry a Grass or Electric move. However, since you probably are playing Doubles, then they will probably be switching a G/W mon to counter your Water type. Plus you lose STAB, which really helps when you're running Shadow Sneak.

LinksOcarina

The true master
Soak is one of those moves that can be used in a pinch to throw people off guard, and used in the trickster-style archetype I posted about earlier. It is a good move if used right, but it is not that suitable for singles as far as I see it. Doubles though...damn powerful if your not prepared for it.

zerofield

i miss miror
soak is, to be honest, too gimmicky to ever be a good staple move. it may have its surprise factor uses, but once you get past that, its too easy to play around and becomes dead weight...

for doubles...can gastrodon get soak? it would work well paired with a discharge user

irock245

She wants it
does soak activater gastrodon's ability? If so, then i may have a good gimmick, doubles team on my hands......

Vandslaux

Soak + Toxic + Alomomola = poisoned Ferrothorn.

Zachmac

Soak + Toxic + Alomomola = poisoned Ferrothorn.
That's where a good ol' power whip comes in.

And being a water type can be helpful sometimes. I've had an enemy Alomomola use Soak on my Jumpluff....It was even harder to take down then before, thanks to substitute blocking toxic.

Oh, I do use Jumpluff on Wi-fi sometimes, it does a better job in 3vs3 with team viewer.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Might be useless in singles, but in rotation I had a guy soak all my 'mons. Sends out Thundurus. Checkmate =/

That's what I'd like to point out. Soak is actually pretty useful if you can devise a strategy around it. Sure, it'd leave a couple holes if you base your strategy completely off of it, but if you thought it through and you tried to find a way to make it work, Soak is so viable.

You take away STAB, you change the type to a type that your Pokemon can hit for a SE, Sandstorm and Hail teams lose their immunity, and so does Steel.

My only thing is I kind of wish more Pokemon learned it. @__@

Generic User Name

You could form a team with tons of grass or electric moves and use scald for the x2 weakness but other than that I don't see much of a use for Soak.

I say that soak is more of a double battle move than singles. I can't think of any uses for it other than if you had (whats is that electric fish thingy?) and wanted to score super effectiveness by making the enemy water type then using electric moves.

Triple Z

Triple Z used yawn!
I think its high point is depriving pokemon of STAB. Take outrage, for example, on a soaked dragon its power drops from 180 to 120, a significant difference

Status
Not open for further replies.