• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soak:a great move or useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xucretis

first time i saw soak i tought that was useless,but later i tought some strategies that can be made with it,some are:
-make pokemon with a lot of weakness have just 2 weakness,and grass is really uncomon(excluding ferrothorn)
-make shedinja almost imortal
-make sure that your eletric moves will be superefective against your oponent and remove their stabs
whats your opinion?it has future to at least double battles or will be forgoten?

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I'm actually quite fond of Soak.

Definitely no good in Singles, but in Doubles, it can actually help your partner. Setting up the Soak will take away opponent's STAB, as well as set it up for a Super Effective hit against your opponent. Ferrothorn, who would otherwise wall grass types without HP Fire or Fighting, becomes a Water type, allowing your Pokemon to use its Grass move on it and pull of a Super Effective.

It has its uses, you just have to be smart when using it.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
It would have much better potential in Doubles if paired with a Discharge user, but sadly there are no -Ground-type Soak users :/

Blazios

I use it in Singles with Alomomola and Toxic. It's fun Toxic stalling an SD Scizor or a Ferrothorn to its demise.

Aurath8

It's not that Soak is bad, but it wasn't given to any viable pokemon. Only some of the worst of Water types got it. Golduck, Basculin, Seaking, Pelipper even freaking Lumineon. The only thing that could possibly take advantage of soak is Octillerry as that learns T-bolt. If only Lanturn or Ludicolo got it. *sigh*

xucretis

i agree with most of you,lanturn or any water/ground+discharge would rape every team,but i think that makes some pokemon that is normaly useless become really usefull
the one that will get more benefits is aggon,huge defenses,learn aqua tail in 4 gen,learns earthquake and a lot of moves to counter grass.
also,can be usefull against spiritombs,but they are becoming rare nowadyas lol,at least when i played random matchup
maybe even gyarados can use it well,if you dont expect any earthquake pokemon you can use soak to make it lose its awfull X4 against eletric and dont give any stab,maybe put a air balon to keep dont taking damage from earthquake
and the list goes on,just use imagination

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I use it in Singles with Alomomola and Toxic. It's fun Toxic stalling an SD Scizor or a Ferrothorn to its demise.

I've used this one, and it really catches said pokemon by surprise, and I think it's sorta under-rated.

Aquaholic

Removing STAB, monotyping opponents, making Rock-, Steel-, and Ground-types take damage in Sandstorms, removing sandstorm boosts for Rock-types, making Ice-types take Hail damage, allowing Steel-types to escape Magnet Pull... And they're just a few of the things I think of. It's most deinfitely a double battle-orientated move.

Wire

Banned
usefulish on toxistall almomola. no where else. gimmick in doubles battles

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Its not that it sucks its just not given to any good Pokemon at the moment It's probably good for like double battles in case your partner needs it.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Useless, but I think someone said something about Eviolite Rhydon w/ LightningRod in doubles, and Soak... Of course, absolute gimmick, but hey, people still use Swampert XD [/Analogy]

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
I think it's amazing! You can do Soak and then U-Turn while using Pelipper or Lumineon. Then you can bring in a Grass/Electric Pokemon to wipe them out.

Octillery uses it best since it can learn a Grass and an Electric move, unlike others.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Soak is a fascinating gimmick, if only because of Shedinja.

Water has 2 weaknesses. One of them (Electric) is drawn in by Lightningrod. Basically, this means that a Soaked Shedinja in Doubles can only be hurt by grass moves, as long as it's partnered with Manectric or Rhydon. Add a Scarf Golduck to the team to use Soak and clear weather, and your Shedinja becomes really, really hard to KO. If there was such a thing as NU doubles/triples, I'd give it a shot. A flamethrower from Manectric or X-Scissor from Shedinja will keep the Grass-types in check.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
It's not that Soak is bad, but it wasn't given to any viable pokemon. Only some of the worst of Water types got it. Golduck, Basculin, Seaking, Pelipper even freaking Lumineon. The only thing that could possibly take advantage of soak is Octillerry as that learns T-bolt. If only Lanturn or Ludicolo got it. *sigh*

Octillery can't learn Thunderbolt.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Octillery can't learn Thunderbolt.

But it can learn Bullet Seed, if that's a comfort. Also,

3.14kachu said:
Soak is a fascinating gimmick, if only because of Shedinja.

Water has 2 weaknesses. One of them (Electric) is drawn in by Lightningrod. Basically, this means that a Soaked Shedinja in Doubles can only be hurt by grass moves, as long as it's partnered with Manectric or Rhydon. Add a Scarf Golduck to the team to use Soak and clear weather, and your Shedinja becomes really, really hard to KO. If there was such a thing as NU doubles/triples, I'd give it a shot. A flamethrower from Manectric or X-Scissor from Shedinja will keep the Grass-types in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.