• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

bailey.ga

I've recently found myself losing a lot of respect for Barca and Real. I was looking over the prize money/tv rights for this season's premiers league and thought about how the rights for other countries work.

The money for the EPL way more evenly distributed than of La Liga, Liverpool and Manchester City (despite both wanting to adopt the La Liga model, and that being quickly dismissed) won around £97 Million. The lowest amount given out was to Cardiff who made £63 Million, with the amount gradually decreasing for other teams depending on a variety of factors.

Now La Liga does this differently, it has no prize money and TV rights are determined on how often teams get picked. The result is that Barca and Real make 45% of revenue from La Liga, and with a gulf of 35:1 compared to less than 1.5:1 of England.

They're holding the League back, which is why I'm rooting for Atletico for both the Champions League and La Liga.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
I didn't see the Europa League Final, but I already know what happened. Gotta say I was disappointed, throughout the game, Benfica missed a lot of chances of scoring, I believe the referee team made a few mistakes, coincidentally(?) the guy who ran this final also ran Chelsea - Benfica last year, for which he also made mistakes (I'm looking at you, Platini). Andre Gomes should have been taken out of the match because he was screwing up a lot. Things could have been different at least with Markovic on the team, since his suspension was misapplied. (I'm looking at you, Platini).

Nightmareisalive

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! after 9 years Arsenal finally win a trophy! I nearly died throughout the game. I didn't see the first Hull goal and flicked the tv on just as they scored the second and I really thought Arsenal were gonna blow it. The ref was horrible (Arsenal had at least 2 or 3 penalties not given) but thankfully Arsenal were able to come back and win it. That mistake at the end with the keeper nearly had my heart stop and it wouldn't be Arsenal without that type of blunder. Thankfully it didn't go in and Arsenal are FA Cup champions!

bailey.ga

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! after 9 years Arsenal finally win a trophy! I nearly died throughout the game. I didn't see the first Hull goal and flicked the tv on just as they scored the second and I really thought Arsenal were gonna blow it. The ref was horrible (Arsenal had at least 2 or 3 penalties not given) but thankfully Arsenal were able to come back and win it. That mistake at the end with the keeper nearly had my heart stop and it wouldn't be Arsenal without that type of blunder. Thankfully it didn't go in and Arsenal are FA Cup champions!

Congrats. Overall Arsenal were the better team and deserved to win. Though I do have sympathy with Hull supporters, having felt the pain of losing the final from a winning position in this seasons League Cup.

There was only one challenge I think should have been a penalty and that was when Meyler pushed into the back of Giroud (I think). The rest were just Arsenal players being pansys and playing for them. And the Penalty decision did level out with Arsenal having a corner for the second goal, it should have been a goal kick. I don't think moving the ball forward made as much of a difference as has been made too.

Hopefully Arsenal will keep winning stuff too, they play good football, and there's nothing quite like turning on the telly and being reminded that it's been 9 years since they won anything, knowing full well that's nothing compared to the 41 year wait for your club :(.

Nightmareisalive

Congrats. Overall Arsenal were the better team and deserved to win. Though I do have sympathy with Hull supporters, having felt the pain of losing the final from a winning position in this seasons League Cup.

There was only one challenge I think should have been a penalty and that was when Meyler pushed into the back of Giroud (I think). The rest were just Arsenal players being pansys and playing for them. And the Penalty decision did level out with Arsenal having a corner for the second goal, it should have been a goal kick. I don't think moving the ball forward made as much of a difference as has been made too.

Hopefully Arsenal will keep winning stuff too, they play good football, and there's nothing quite like turning on the telly and being reminded that it's been 9 years since they won anything, knowing full well that's nothing compared to the 41 year wait for your club :(.

Yeah I feel sorry for you in that aspect 41 years is really a lot longer than must football supporters have been alive. You support Sunderland right?

bailey.ga

Yeah I feel sorry for you in that aspect 41 years is really a lot longer than must football supporters have been alive. You support Sunderland right?

Yeah I do, it's twice as long as I've been alive too.

The feeling of having your team lead in a cup final, or even be in the final, is like nothing else (as I found out) and I'm sure I'll be able to see it too (will hopefully be in the stadium as well) in my lifetime. When it does come it will be even sweeter because it will be the first major trophy many supporters will ever see for the club. The last guy who led the team to a trophy got a statue built outside of the stadium so if that's not motivation I don't know what that is :p

At least we got the double over Newcastle too, that'll keep me happy for now;)

Nightmareisalive

Yeah I do, it's twice as long as I've been alive too.

The feeling of having your team lead in a cup final, or even be in the final, is like nothing else (as I found out) and I'm sure I'll be able to see it too (will hopefully be in the stadium as well) in my lifetime. When it does come it will be even sweeter because it will be the first major trophy many supporters will ever see for the club. The last guy who led the team to a trophy got a statue built outside of the stadium so if that's not motivation I don't know what that is :p

At least we got the double over Newcastle too, that'll keep me happy for now;)

Yeah if you an keep us Gus Poyet the future looks good for Sunderland. I heard he is meant to leave the club in the summer how are the sunderland supporters going to feel about that?

bailey.ga

Yeah if you an keep us Gus Poyet the future looks good for Sunderland. I heard he is meant to leave the club in the summer how are the sunderland supporters going to feel about that?

A lot's been made of it, it's mainly the press just looking for a story, and since they're mainly based in London their stories tend to favour the London clubs. A lot of what he said too was taken out of context. I watch the full press conference every week and when he said what he said he explained fully that he intended to stay and try and clean the club up.

There are also a few nerves going round, he said he wants to take the club further up the table, but books need to be balanced, he's also unsure of working with a sporting director, and after last summer I can't blame him.

There are lots of rumours of signings being made, and interestingly (with Lennon being the exception) almost all of them are from the North or Scotland. I guess it must be true that people outside of the region don't really understand how big football is locally.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
So part of the replay and highlights of that FA cup final, looked like a pretty good match overall.

Neat that Atletico won too, did think they screwed it up by not getting the points the previous round.

VS

they/she
So in other news, Houston got a 1-0 win over LA last night.
Any one like the MLS? Like anyone at all?

bailey.ga

So in other news, Houston got a 1-0 win over LA last night.
Any one like the MLS? Like anyone at all?

I saw some of the Chicago vs New York game a few days ago, it was more entertaining than most European games, plenty of attacking. Shame there was so many empty seats though.

Teebu

So part of the replay and highlights of that FA cup final, looked like a pretty good match overall.

Neat that Atletico won too, did think they screwed it up by not getting the points the previous round.

That barca team is seriously poor though tbf, their best chances came from crosses swung in from deep which is practically unheard of. Simeone's record at Atleti is unreal though, Europa League, Euro SuperCup, Copa del Rey, League. And Champs Lg final to come. In 2 & half years.

7 tyranitars

Been a while since I posted here so I am going over some recent stuff from some competitions.

La liga/champions league

I am really happy Atletico became champions in spain. Spain *needed* another champion. For the first time in years the la liga was worth following, because it wasn't so sure it would be either Barcalona or Real Madrid. I wonder who will win the champions league. I secretly hope it will be atletico aswell.

Bundesliga:

HSV nearly relegated didn't see the match but what I heard it they got Lucky.

PL:

Congratz to City for winning the league, and Arsenal for winning the FA cup. I was still hoping for Liverpool but they succumbed to the pressure such a shame!

Eredivisie:

Yey my own country. Ever since the team I support (SC Cambuur) promoted last year to the Eredivisie there was one match that has been looked forward so much. It was the derby against SC Heerenveen. We lost the first match in september last year away (2-1) (I went to both the away and the home match) . But after all these years of them mocking us we won at home this january. 3-1 after 4 minutes we were already leading 1-0 and the stadium exploded. I saw grown men cry at half time when we had a 2-0. It was a very memorable moment. It even became 3-0. They made a goal in the 85th minute when the game was already played. We didn't play against them for 13 years. And it was nearly 20 years ago since we last won.

But the most important part is we ended 12th avoiding the drop easily. Which is a massive achievement for a newly promoted team. Now it is time for us to never relegate again! Talking about never relegating and relegating in general. Two relativly big teams relegated here. Roda JC never relegated before and were in the Eredivisie for 43 years. And NEC a usual mid table team relegated aswell.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
What's everybody's opinion on promotion and demotion play offs? The Dutch-system is very old fashioned in my eyes and allows for way too many quirks and I like the German approach.

Dutch:
- #18/last in the eventual first division ranking gets demoted directly.
- #16/17 are forced to go join the promotion play-offs of the Dutch second division - and thus still risk demotion.
- #1 of the Dutch second division gets promoted directly.
- Four 'period title' winners go to the promotion playoffs and the 4 other best teams are going to that as well. If a team already has a period title, then the runner up that period gets that period title and thus a chance to promote during the play-offs.

It looks like this:

Round I:
- Match A: Two of the lower teams of the 8 second division teams go against each other, the winner goes to Match C.
- Match B: Two of the lower teams of the 8 second division teams go against each other, the winner goes to Match E.
Round II:
- Match C: The winner of Match A goes against the #16 of the first division. The winner goes on to Match G.
- Match D: Two of the better 8 second division teams go against each other. The winner goes on to Match G.
- Match E: The winner of Match B goes against the #17 of the first division. The winner goes on to Match H.
- Match F: Two of the better 8 second division teams go against each other. The winner goes on to Match H.
Round III:
- Match G: Winner of Match C vs. the winner of Match D: The winner goes to/remains in the Dutch first division.
- Match H: Winner of Match E vs. the winner of Match F: The winner goes to/remains in the Dutch first division.

As you can see, it's very contrived.. In Germany - iirc - the bottom two get demoted, and the #16 plays a play-off match against the #3 of the German second division. The winner goes to/remains in the Bundesliga. Which is a very clean system.. I mention this, because the eventual #16 of the Dutch second division got period title by default and thus was allowed to play for promotion and got to Match G, but thankfully lost. In every sportsmanlike scenario, a team that's that low on the ranking shouldn't be allowed to play for promotion, yet it happened - hence why it needs to change (at least in the Netherlands).

It's not even that the period titles give you access to the second round of play-offs, but just to the play-offs.. But what's the point if you get the second period title (and in the above case by default!) and then suck the rest of the season? There would be teams more deserving of the play-offs based on their season ranking, but are not allowed to.

So long story short, how do other competitions do this? And if somebody is from Belgium, can they please explain the whole Play Off I, II and III thing? It's really confusing.. xD

I saw some of the Chicago vs New York game a few days ago, it was more entertaining than most European games, plenty of attacking. Shame there was so many empty seats though.

I'm going on a bit of a tangent here, but oh well.. Don't take this personally, I think MLS has quality football.

I've been to a MLS-game and saw quite a few reported on when I was in the states and I go to approximately four European games a year since I've come back home. So I know the difference, but the two really shouldn't be compared.. I'm absolutely not saying the MLS is crap, but it did in my opinion try to Americanize football in a way I believe actually detracts from the (romantics of the) sport. Stereotypical American sport coverage is very statistic orientated, which isn't bad - it's just a way of doing things. For example, a typical pre-game analysis most of the time looks at the star athletes and teams like this: Athlete X had so many turnovers, athlete Y has consistently hit X percentage in the first 3 innings, athlete Z's post-season record is tied with the franchise all time record, etc.. European sports coverage in my opinion used to be laidback.. For instance, in the Dutch football report, there's no need to go into an indepth discussion of the key players statistics before the game review playback starts - just stuff like, these teams have played this many times in this competition, these are the players they're sending in, and the guy commentating on the match is X.. Well, for major European competition matches they do have lengthy table discussions, but they never focus on individual statistics.

Maybe it's just me, but going into those typical indepth statistical discussions about which team has the better Def/Off and thus will come out on top is hurting the romance of the sport.

The most glaring comparison can be made when looking at the coverage of the public broadcasting networks on sunday and Fox' coverage on monday, because the guys at Fox have been told to go in depth on stats, on order of a man named Murdoch.

That being said, I think European football is very much influenced by a lot of factors.. Teams like Barça and Bayern have been influenced by the Dutch school, in which the whole team works as a whole to bring the ball forward, while the Italian school has influenced trainers like José Mourinho who tend to have a key offensive duo/trio while focusing on their defensive prowess. Then there's Russian influences and thereby massive gaps in budgets between certain competitions. So when you have Barça and Bayern against each other, you have two teams that really want to play the ball around, while when you get Chelsea and Real, you have two teams that tend to stay back and try to counter. I know these strategies are used in the MLS as well, but in Europe, these are just that much more culturally imbedded. You'll almost never see a 3-3 game in the Italian competition for example.. I think Europe is just more diverse in football culture. So it's not as if the European football teams don't focus on attacking, just a few cultures a lot less.. and sometimes that's the best strategy, though in Holland, we call it anti-football..

That barca team is seriously poor though tbf, their best chances came from crosses swung in from deep which is practically unheard of. Simeone's record at Atleti is unreal though, Europa League, Euro SuperCup, Copa del Rey, League. And Champs Lg final to come. In 2 & half years.

I think there's more to Simeone's success then just him and his team. We saw last year that Barça is getting relatively old and needs to switch a lot in order for their system to work. Meanwhile, for some reason, Real came up short in the most important matches.. Something in me hopes that Real wins the Champions League.. Giving them their 10th CL-win is what the world needs in order for Ronaldo and Real to shut up for once..

That being said, I'm grateful that what used to be a very, very, very boring competition the past decade has become a bit of a dark horse the past year.. I mean, it was always either Barça or Real, and now there's a third..

bailey.ga

European football is very much influenced by a lot of factors.. Teams like Barça and Bayern have been influenced by the Dutch school, in which the whole team works as a whole to bring the ball forward, while the Italian school has influenced trainers like José Mourinho who tend to have a key offensive duo/trio while focusing on their defensive prowess. Then there's Russian influences and thereby massive gaps in budgets between certain competitions. So when you have Barça and Bayern against each other, you have two teams that really want to play the ball around, while when you get Chelsea and Real, you have two teams that tend to stay back and try to counter. I know these strategies are used in the MLS as well, but in Europe, these are just that much more culturally imbedded. You'll almost never see a 3-3 game in the Italian competition for example.. I think Europe is just more diverse in football culture. So it's not as if the European football teams don't focus on attacking, just a few cultures a lot less.. and sometimes that's the best strategy, though in Holland, we call it anti-football..

I somewhat agree with what you have said, there are many different approaches to football in Europe, these are crossing borders too, Bayern are playing Spanish football as an example. However, I have always thought European football is very different from South American football (though I will admit, like MLS, I don't see much from here). South American football has always seemed to me to be about flare, and attacking football, where entertainment is as important as the result, just look at the the attacking talent to grace Europe. And Europe seems to be much tighter, you don't seem to get as much time to dribble the ball forward.

I hope that MLS plays more like the South American game. I do love watching the football I do watch, but I don't want to see a league that just looks to emulate other leagues with an already larger fan base (especially with a league structure that seems silly to me)

Maybe it's just me, but going into those typical indepth statistical discussions about which team has the better Def/Off and thus will come out on top is hurting the romance of the sport.

It's definitely not just you. I really don't care how many passes my team makes as long as they give a good account of themselves and play for the badge. I don't care that they had 30% of the ball, as long as when they did they ran with it and gave it a good go (and that's not 'parking the bus', maybe if the other team actually tried to attack rather than just passing it around you'd get a chance to score).

VS

they/she
New York doesn't have many fans, unfortunately. Most of the Northeastern teams have small fan bases. When you get out west, Houston, Dallas (at times), Salt Lake, LA, Portland, and Seattle have very large fan bases.

7 tyranitars

What's everybody's opinion on promotion and demotion play offs? The Dutch-system is very old fashioned in my eyes and allows for way too many quirks and I like the German approach.

Dutch:
- #18/last in the eventual first division ranking gets demoted directly.
- #16/17 are forced to go join the promotion play-offs of the Dutch second division - and thus still risk demotion.
- #1 of the Dutch second division gets promoted directly.
- Four 'period title' winners go to the promotion playoffs and the 4 other best teams are going to that as well. If a team already has a period title, then the runner up that period gets that period title and thus a chance to promote during the play-offs.

It looks like this:

Round I:
- Match A: Two of the lower teams of the 8 second division teams go against each other, the winner goes to Match C.
- Match B: Two of the lower teams of the 8 second division teams go against each other, the winner goes to Match E.
Round II:
- Match C: The winner of Match A goes against the #16 of the first division. The winner goes on to Match G.
- Match D: Two of the better 8 second division teams go against each other. The winner goes on to Match G.
- Match E: The winner of Match B goes against the #17 of the first division. The winner goes on to Match H.
- Match F: Two of the better 8 second division teams go against each other. The winner goes on to Match H.
Round III:
- Match G: Winner of Match C vs. the winner of Match D: The winner goes to/remains in the Dutch first division.
- Match H: Winner of Match E vs. the winner of Match F: The winner goes to/remains in the Dutch first division.

As you can see, it's very contrived.. In Germany - iirc - the bottom two get demoted, and the #16 plays a play-off match against the #3 of the German second division. The winner goes to/remains in the Bundesliga. Which is a very clean system.. I mention this, because the eventual #16 of the Dutch second division got period title by default and thus was allowed to play for promotion and got to Match G, but thankfully lost. In every sportsmanlike scenario, a team that's that low on the ranking shouldn't be allowed to play for promotion, yet it happened - hence why it needs to change (at least in the Netherlands).

It's not even that the period titles give you access to the second round of play-offs, but just to the play-offs.. But what's the point if you get the second period title (and in the above case by default!) and then suck the rest of the season? There would be teams more deserving of the play-offs based on their season ranking, but are not allowed to.

I personally believe this should be the system:

Eredivisie:
16: Relegation play offs
17&18 relegated

Eerste divisie:
1&2 promoted
3-5 promotion play offs

First round:

ED5 - ERE16
ED4 - ED3

Final: winner A - Winner B

All these matches will have 2 legs.

I also think that what we have seen lately With PEC Zwolle, Cambuur and Go Ahead eagles is the result of an outdated promotion system. These 3 teams have played in the top of the second tier for several years in a row and were basicly *waiting* for a promotion. The fact that 1 promoted sometimes 2 resulted that a lot of *good* teams got clot up at the top of the Eerste divisie. And so I am not surprised that this year 3 teams managed to promote.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet

I enjoy following all these obscure playoffs just for interest's sake, but in reality the best system is just straight up and straight down, maybe with the third promotion place decided like it is in England and recently Spain through playoffs with teams three to six. What bugs me a bit about something like the German playoff is that you can have a bad season but still stay up because of two fortunate games. The same would be said of Hibernian and Hamilton in Scotland whose first leg is later, Hibernian have had a tripe season but if they get fortunate they will stay up. I'm not saying teams like Hibernian and Hamburg won't deserve it, I just prefer it the way it is in England, Spain and especially France, where it is nice and straightforward. Italy have some odd new playoff mechanic for teams down to eighth, and Russia has the third and fourth worst in the top tier face the third and fourth best from the league below.

So long story short, how do other competitions do this? And if somebody is from Belgium, can they please explain the whole Play Off I, II and III thing? It's really confusing.. xD

So once each team in the Belgian league has faced each other twice equalling thirty games, the table is split up into three completely separate sorts of league playoff.

Teams finishing first to sixth enter the Championship playoff, where their points are halved (I think) and then they play each other twice more, whoever is top after that wins the league.

Teams finishing seventh to fourteenth enter the European playoff. The eight teams are put into two groups of four and each club plays the other members of its group twice. The two group winners face each other over two legs. THEN the winner of that plays the team finishing fourth in the Championship playoff for a spot in the Europa League.

The teams finishing fifteenth and sixteenth enter the Relegation playoff, where the two teams play each other five times, and whoever finishes bottom gets relegated. Whoever finishes top enters the second round alongside three period winners from the division below, they each play each other twice and whoever is first stays up/gets promoted.

...see why I prefer the French system? Three up and three down, no fuss and no muss!

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
Oh wow! A soccer thread, just what I was looking for.

A few quick facts: I support Coventry City, the Sky Blues of the English League 1, and I play as a goalkeeper in my state's Premier League. Best player for me is either Bale or Ronaldo.

My tip for the Champions League final is Athletico Madrid, after winning the league they will be full of confidence, but not too up-themselves. Real look to be up and down overall, but in the Champions League they are playing some nice football. I'm just glad Barcelona hasn't won anything this year (not being offensive Barca fans, so sorry)

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I personally believe this should be the system:

Eredivisie:
16: Relegation play offs
17&18 relegated

Eerste divisie:
1&2 promoted
3-5 promotion play offs

First round:

ED5 - ERE16
ED3 - ED4

Final: winner A - Winner B

All these matches will have 2 legs.

I also think that what we have seen lately With PEC Zwolle, Cambuur and Go Ahead eagles is the result of an outdated promotion system. These 3 teams have played in the top of the second tier for several years in a row and were basicly *waiting* for a promotion. The fact that 1 promoted sometimes 2 resulted that a lot of *good* teams got clot up at the top of the Eerste divisie. And so I am not surprised that this year 3 teams managed to promote.

The thing is, I don't know if this is completely fair.. But it does streamline the whole process.

As for Pec Zwolle, Cambuur, Go Ahead, Willem II and Excelsior, yes they've been at the top of the Jupiler League for quite a while, but then you need to consider VVV and Volendam in that bunch as well, but suddenly FC Dordrecht promotes, because of one incredibly good season.. while having been obscure for the majority of the past 19 years.

I enjoy following all these obscure playoffs just for interest's sake, but in reality the best system is just straight up and straight down, maybe with the third promotion place decided like it is in England and recently Spain through playoffs with teams three to six. What bugs me a bit about something like the German playoff is that you can have a bad season but still stay up because of two fortunate games. The same would be said of Hibernian and Hamilton in Scotland whose first leg is later, Hibernian have had a tripe season but if they get fortunate they will stay up. I'm not saying teams like Hibernian and Hamburg won't deserve it, I just prefer it the way it is in England, Spain and especially France, where it is nice and straightforward. Italy have some odd new playoff mechanic for teams down to eighth, and Russia has the third and fourth worst in the top tier face the third and fourth best from the league below.

So once each team in the Belgian league has faced each other twice equalling thirty games, the table is split up into three completely separate sorts of league playoff.

Teams finishing first to sixth enter the Championship playoff, where their points are halved (I think) and then they play each other twice more, whoever is top after that wins the league.

Teams finishing seventh to fourteenth enter the European playoff. The eight teams are put into two groups of four and each club plays the other members of its group twice. The two group winners face each other over two legs. THEN the winner of that plays the team finishing fourth in the Championship playoff for a spot in the Europa League.

The teams finishing fifteenth and sixteenth enter the Relegation playoff, where the two teams play each other five times, and whoever finishes bottom gets relegated. Whoever finishes top enters the second round alongside three period winners from the division below, they each play each other twice and whoever is first stays up/gets promoted.

...see why I prefer the French system? Three up and three down, no fuss and no muss!

Lol, I think play-offs just aren't hip anymore.. :p

I don't know if I like the French system.. That's really harsh to a league with 18 teams where a few rounds before the end of the season, the #16 could still go up to become the eventual #13.. When the ranking is actually that close, it isn't fair to relegate them immediately in my eyes, regardless of it giving no muck.. When the gap between #15 and #16 is 10+ points, then sure! Relegate the all three, but when the difference is just 3 points, then it isn't fair to relegate them immediately, because it probably means that the competition is top/bottom heavy.