• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
This thread is back, niceeeee.

UCL Finals tomorrow. Madrid is definitely gonna win... ;)

I'm so disappointed in the EL finals. Benfic (my team) missed so many chances it's unreal. Well, maybe in 2062...

bailey.ga

I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. The UCL final, or the moment after it when I realise it's the World Cup next. (Also... Go Atletico)

Thinking of that moment at 11pm on the 14th of June already, in a pub full of England supporters, can't wait.

bailey.ga

This. Including the Atletico part ^^
Worst part: I'm in Lisbon and couldn't get my hands on a ticket :(

Dang... Will there be a big screen in the city? Might still be able to go to some events, soak up the atmosphere. I seen on the news that they started a Champions League fan event last year which was a success.

bailey.ga

Oooooooooooh final soon.

At The Stadium of Light.... So the winner must be red and white ;)

Skobby

Fairy Slayer
Athletico looked great for the first 60 minutes but then Real got their game going and pushed through, Bale had a few very good chances, although Real deserved to win they did get a bit lucky with the 90+3 header.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
93rd minute equaliser! That makes an amazing final, even though it finished 4-1. Real probably deserved it though, they played good football throughout the tournament.

bailey.ga

Call me cynical but, with the exception of La Liga (thank god), money has prevailed this season.

Liverpool gave the Premier League but lost out to Man City. PSG won the French League. Real won the UCL. And QPR got promoted back to the EPL (for perspective, I read today that their wage bill is higher than Atletico's).

I feel like Financial Fair play is being mocked. In 10 years Real will be fighting administration unless they stop with all this 'Galactico' nonsense (Barca too, they seem to be buying more than before, though that may just be me), all of these Sugar Daddies will have grown bored, and those clubs that are aware of the word Budget will finally get a fair chance to compete.

It's ridiculous that clubs like PSG are given huge fines for spending beyond their means, and the next week they buy a defender for £40 million.

Fenix

Tremulant
I woke up at 4 AM to watch the CL final and I'm not mad I did so. It was a decent game. Atletico really seemed to just lose it in the second half onwards and Real deserved to win, although they got lucky with the late goal and were almost punished for the chances Bale wasted.

Also Marcelo's goal was hilarious and cringe-worthy. He got the ball, saw that no one even cared enough to challenge him, ran a straight line towards atletico's goal and scored. It would look bad in an amateur under 14 game, let alone the Champions League final.. Atletico had just stopped playing, period at that point.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Also Marcelo's goal was hilarious and cringe-worthy. He got the ball, saw that no one even cared enough to challenge him, ran a straight line towards atletico's goal and scored. It would look bad in an amateur under 14 game, let alone the Champions League final.. Atletico had just stopped playing, period at that point.

It looked really bad on them tbh. I respect Atletico and I can imagine they must have been tired, but Ramos showed that the match only ends when the ref blows the whistle. Atletico should have had the same thought, and should have kept trying.

Also, *claps* to Simeone for the solid match he made Diego Costa play.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
93rd minute equaliser! That makes an amazing final, even though it finished 4-1. Real probably deserved it though, they played good football throughout the tournament.

they are previous uefa champions so i think they deserve to win and it really did - real madrid now has their 10th championship title.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
they are previous uefa champions so i think they deserve to win and it really did - real madrid now has their 10th championship title.

They were the best team of the tournament, I'm just glad Barca didn't win it. I wouldn't have minded if Bayern won it again though.

Also, Arsenal have finally won a trophy, it's been a while. Now I just hope that Coventry can get promoted next year.

7 tyranitars

The thing is, I don't know if this is completely fair.. But it does streamline the whole process.

As for Pec Zwolle, Cambuur, Go Ahead, Willem II and Excelsior, yes they've been at the top of the Jupiler League for quite a while, but then you need to consider VVV and Volendam in that bunch as well, but suddenly FC Dordrecht promotes, because of one incredibly good season.. while having been obscure for the majority of the past 19 years.

With Zwolle, Cambuur, Go Ahead. VVV and excelsior I can relate. As for willem II, they are more or less an Eredivisie team because they have spend 8 of their last 10 years in it. Volendam they have good seasons and so-so seasons in the Jupiler league.

Neverteless I think Dordrecht deserved the promotion, and with the two in two out system they would have been promoted anyway, and honestly I believe the team on the second place should promote. By far they played the best football through the season. And honestly even if Sparta has the name, the number 16 should have NO chance at all to promote. It was honestly a disgrace they even got this far. Same can be said about NEC who got relegated by them.

It's funny, in spain a team promoted to the la liga who have never played there before. They are called Eibar. they did that with a solid organisation, good football, and no debts. Sounds a bit like dordrecht, although their stadion is a bit bigger with 5.5K seats.

But like I said, three clubs meeting the drop is the result of clogging promotions. We can pretend it is a strange thing, but several teams got kept in the Eredivisie by luck. (roda JC 2009/2013, VVV 2011/2012, willem II 2010 (only won after extra time) With the other one usually relegating aswell. Honestly I am not that surprised and it was just a matter of time before this happened. And I think next year you better avoid spot 16-18 aswell because relegation play-offs will probably mean relegation.

Snivy18

World Cup is coming up in just less than two weeks. Anybody have some predictions?

Probably Messi will force the Argentinian Squad to the top, as he was getting ready for the WC during his Barca Season, same thing with Neymar for Brazil.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
World Cup is coming up in just less than two weeks. Anybody have some predictions?

Probably Messi will force the Argentinian Squad to the top, as he was getting ready for the WC during his Barca Season, same thing with Neymar for Brazil.

England will do better than what's been predicted. I think Uruguay might get knocked out of the group phase, and Colombia will risk playing Falcao (he's been selected somehow) and his injury will become even worse as a result. Bosnia might do alright as well. Brazil or Argentina will make it to the final.

bailey.ga

England will do better than what's been predicted. I think Uruguay might get knocked out of the group phase, and Colombia will risk playing Falcao (he's been selected somehow) and his injury will become even worse as a result. Bosnia might do alright as well. Brazil or Argentina will make it to the final.

I'm with you, I think England will do better than expected, I can see a possible Semi Final for England, though that might just be wishful thinking. The only real problem for England is a record I heard a while ago, that they have not beat one of the 'top teams' in the world at a major tournament for a VERY long time (Either 1990 or 1966, don't know cos I wasn't there :p)

I can see Uruguay and Belgium both having poor tournaments. Uruguay (IMO) has the hardest group and one of those countries are going to flop, and Belgium have little experience but are under quite a bit of pressure.

I can't see Argentina or Germany winning the trophy, and even though they're favourites I'd be suprised if Brazil did too. So despite the fact they're no where near the best team in the world I'm going to have a wacky guess and say I'm tipping Italy to win it. They have experience in Brazil from the Confederations Cup, they're defensively solid and organised and many of the attack minded teams will struggle to break them down, leaving them susceptible to the counter attack. Of course I could be way off and Italy could be the team in Group D that flops.

Spain will probably get to the Semi finals, though they might have a disappointing tournament and exit at the Quarter finals, they've played the same way for so long now, with the same manager that I think many teams now know how to play them, just look at Brazil last year.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I have a sneaky feeling Nigeria, granted I'm biased because its my home country, could sneak into the QFs. 2nd place in our group will come down to us and Bosnia and I think we can edge it, and in the R16 we'd get France most likely. We'd be underdogs but a win is possible.
Also Arsenal Ladies are about to win the Women's FA Cup. Been a decent year for both Arsenal Teams. Hope we can build off our success next season.

Snivy18

I do agree with you guys bailey and torterra--Urugray is in the same group with England, so it may be hard for Suarez to keep up, since there's England blocking him and Urugray from the World Cup, but yes, England will not probably get to the WC but Brazil--not sure about Argentina yet, let's see when they play their first game.