• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I guess that makes sense, thank you.

Also, Um I am confused at the games being played tomorrow. Like they are listed at the same time? So two games are going to be played at the same time in different stadiums? How does that work?

The last games of each group should be played at the same time, I guess. If for example, Germany and USA tied in a game at 18:00, and Portugal-Ghana was at 21:00, neither Portugal or Ghana would try anymore as they know they're out.

And also, I'm not sure if it's how many goals each team scored. I think after GD comes (I don't know what it's called in english) if a team beat another. So, if the GD and points is the same between team A and B, if team A beat team B in their game, team A would go through. I think, not sure

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
when it comes to soccer, sometimes we have things called miracles and that's exactly what happened on the portugal vs us match

just when i thought it was all over for portugal, they come up with a sudden strength.

it was not ronaldo's night but at least his teammates contributed the final shot - an equalizer to tie and end the game with a draw

germany, united states, portugal and ghana are still alive on their division

so the next one will be the most interesting part where we will get to know , which of these 4 teams will make it to the round 16.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
when it comes to soccer, sometimes we have things called miracles and that's exactly what happened on the portugal vs us match

just when i thought it was all over for portugal, they come up with a sudden strength.

it was not ronaldo's night but at least his teammates contributed the final shot - an equalizer to tie and end the game with a draw

We need some serious changes to our team. Our coach's run should be coming to an end, he's been there for 4 years and did good, but now our team is getting older, we need someone who realizes it's not about the famous names, it's about the performance during the season. We need to find a formation that works without an actual striker, because our strikers are just awful. Hell, at this point Ronaldo as center striker would work better, we have SO many pacey, skilled wingers that could replace Ronaldo in that position. Or, if not a new formation, call on younger strikers that can prove themselves. We have a very young striker who plays in Benfica and was on loan at Rennes who scored quite a few goals this season, and he wasn't even called. We need to renew our midfield too. Moutinho is still quality, but Meireles and Veloso are lacking now. I would say keep Meireles and Moutinho, but put on William Carvalho. And our defence, it's all holes. Bruno Alves is a good center back, and Ricardo Costa played surprisingly well yesterday, but our left and right back weren't the best. Well, more our left back, since the USA only attacked through our left because they knew it was weaker without Coentrao who's injured and Ronaldo who was probably told not to run back due to his knee. Keepers are doing good. Beto was great, and finally some competition to Rui Patricio. And also, it's bad by Benfica and Porto who every season ignore the Portuguese players from their youth and go buy young players from Argentina and Brazil who most times just go on loan. This season was better with a few youth players joining the main team, but they didn't play enough and most likely will be loaned (surprise!). It's obviously an end to the Portuguese golden generation, Figo is gone, Nuno Gomes is gone, Rui Costa is gone, Simao is gone. Ronaldo is already 29, he'll probably have 1 more world cup. Our centerbacks are old, our strikers except for Eder are old, our midfield is getting old. We need to start betting on younger players again while keeping some of the older ones. Like I said, William Carvalho, Nelson Oliveira, and a few others, all players who showed quality but are just ignored. We need a better connection between our Defense-Midfield-Offense. And also, I don't know what the hell happened yesterday after we scored, we just let the USA do whatever they wanted with the game, and only after they scored we woke up! C'mon, they knew we needed more than 1 goal, they cant just settle for 1 goal! Where is the motivation?! And last point, there has to be something wrong because Coentrao, Andre Almeida, Hugo Almeida, Helder Postiga and Rui Patricio have gone off injured, and Bruno Alves didn't train for the past few days. Ronaldo also has an injury. Something has to be wrong.

Last edited:

Sephora

yes I'm back
Now they decide to put in David Villa for Spain? It's a little too late I'm afraid :/ Ugh they should've put him in during the Netherlands and Chile game. But at least Spain left the WC in a dignified way by scoring 3-0 against Australia. ¡Viva España! Hopefully the next WC will be much better for my fav team.

And wow, both the Netherlands and Chile are tied. Guess they both want it pretty bad....
Of course the Netherlands in up in first place after that. Good on them.

The last games of each group should be played at the same time, I guess. If for example, Germany and USA tied in a game at 18:00, and Portugal-Ghana was at 21:00, neither Portugal or Ghana would try anymore as they know they're out.

And also, I'm not sure if it's how many goals each team scored. I think after GD comes (I don't know what it's called in english) if a team beat another. So, if the GD and points is the same between team A and B, if team A beat team B in their game, team A would go through. I think, not sure

Ahh now it makes more sense. Thank you :)

Last edited:

Snivy18

I am cheering for Brazil, but it's just the fact of Fred's cheesy goal when he was offsides, even from my TV screen I could see it. I'm surprised the linesmen conceded the goal for Brazil. And tbh, the ref is kind of lenient with some cards though...

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Mexico's got that game down. 70 minutes into the game before anyone scored, and now 3 goals within 11 minutes of each other? The game is just as good as done with that showing, Croatia is not scoring enough in these last minutes. If/When the USA loses their game, I've still got Mexico took root for.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Mexico's got that game down. 70 minutes into the game before anyone scored, and now 3 goals within 11 minutes of each other? The game is just as good as done with that showing, Croatia is not scoring enough in these last minutes. If/When the USA loses their game, I've still got Mexico took root for.

If the USA lose they've still got better chances to go through. If you lose, Ghana/Portugal need to win to catch up on the goal difference, and unless Germany absolutely destroys you guys, you should be fine

Navin

MALDREAD
I looked away from the TV for ten minutes and Mexico scores 3 goals. Welp they deserved to win that game. Croatia played too sloppy and Mexico always looked more dangerous.

Netherlands vs Mexico: I think Netherlands will edge this one out.

Brazil vs Chile: Neymar has been on fire and I just can't see Brazil losing at home this soon.

Sephora

yes I'm back
3 goals in ten minutes was very impressive for Mexico. I'm hoping the underdogs will defeat the Netherlands, as unlikely as it may be.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
Good seeing Brazil go up 4-1. Sad that Croatia lost (or at least is losing at the 85 minute), I need to see the European teams go through, and right now we're lacking Spain, England, possibly England and Portugal, and Croatia (from the better rated teams)

Don't forget Bosnia...

Sephora

yes I'm back

Skobby

Fairy Slayer
Happy for Mexico, they deserve to go through. I don't mind if not much European teams get through because they still have the Euro Cup when the other teams don't.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Lost 3-0 to spain, which isn't very surprising. Never mind a depleted squad to begin with - take out four starting players from our first match, two being Cahill and Bresc, and we were always up against it. Kinda toothless in attack with Taggart, seemed to offer more in the second half but missing Kennedy or Kruse, who were both injured before the WC started!

Defensive errors costs us too. Davidson has otherwise played well, but I think poor positioning of him lead to three goals in the tournament. =/ And Mcgowen just isn't up to it, even if he was the second pick (and had some nice crosses), Spain attacked our RB all game.

Ah well. Avoid any real thrashing, and were actually competitive in two of the games. More than I could have hoped for, all things considered. Hopefully we get some players back for the Asian Cup early next year. Let's hope if we get to the next world cup that we don't get such a painful group again.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
so obvious that brazil is going to make it to the top 16, imagine how many fans will be disappointed if they didn't get through especially those that live in brazil.

Sephora

yes I'm back
so obvious that brazil is going to make it to the top 16, imagine how many fans will be disappointed if they didn't get through especially those that live in brazil.

It's already been confirmed that Brazil is in the top 16, along with Mexico, the Netherlands, and Chile.

PrincessAbsol

Don't know how many US fans there are out there but this handy chart shows all the situations where the US could be eliminated:
8GUe9WR.png

Our odds aren't great, but it's also not hopeless!