• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

nameman

I 100% agree. Every team should at least be given some sort of respect, no matter what the results happen to be. I mean, yeah, it's great to celebrate that your team won and the other team lost, but some people take it way too far.

This is only half of it. Remember that Brazil has other problems as well that were held back for the World Cup. This could end very badly.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
So I am hearing that Brazil riots have already started. I am expecting very bad things on the news tomorrow. I want both teams to win tomorrow so I dont know who to go for. May the best team win then.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Was it just me, or did the Brazilian fans switch over to Germany near the end? I could have sworn I heard "ole!" being shouted when Germany had possession of the ball.

So the riots are starting in Brazil now:

BsDKPuLIEAEpUIz.jpg

Brazilian fans are burning the country's flag.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes

Navin

MALDREAD
Nobody likes seeing their team getting humiliated on their own turf. Although burning your country's flag is excessive. I've heard though a lot of pictures circulating the web are fake or are from months or years ago.

Sight

OBJECTION!
Honestly Brazil has no to blame but themselves, overconfidence and lack of skill lead to what happened today. Funny thing about the match is that even Germany scored 7 goals no one blaming the goalie, the blame is going to the other players and Scolari.
And by the way, the burning flag picture is old, because the match happened at late noon/night and it's cleary daytime at the picture.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Less then 20 hours to go.. I'm starting to tremble in anticipation..

Idc what happens anymore, but I hope Muller doesn't score any more goals. I want James Rodriguez to win the Golden Boot for this World Cup.

Agreed. Though, I didn't want him to get kicked off the field either. Glad the Brazilians didn't resort to "sore loser"-tactics..

Six... six... six... they're beating the record for biggest loss....

Yep..

Are there any Dutch or Argentinans around? I'm honestly curious to find out how you feel about potentially playing this German side

Brazil have lost their front two wheels and it's been a joke performance by them. Why do you feel bad though?

As I've been writing this, Germany have scored again, what is this madness

There's plenty of Dutchmen here.

Many speculated on a final between Brazil and Spain. Coincidentally, the two teams who have taken the hardest beating in their recent histories.

At this point, I feel as if a German - Netherlands final is the only thing that can save this tournament. Sorry Argentinians, but it would be best if you played against Brazil like you've claimed you wanted to. In my honest opinion, I think a Brazil vs. Argentina 3rd/4th place match would attract many more television viewers in Brazil then a German/Dutch 1st/2nd place final - and would be the place for Brazil to redeem itself against an opponent that their actually emotionally attached to.

Then there's the fact that the Dutch are taking care of historical football trauma's, 2010/Spain, penalty shoot-outs, and the only ones left on that list are: 1978/Argentina and 1974/Germany.

Seems too perfect to be true, but it certainly helps a Dutchman dream. It's going to be incredibly tough even surviving that onslaught of raw offensive talent AND then getting past Neuer, but we've gotten past Casillas, Ochoa and Navas. That's an impressive list of goalie's already..

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here, as beating Argentina is by no means a definite, but I think we do have a very good shot at beating them in a fair match. I think what these quarter and semi finals have shown us is that an early lead is critical to winning the match.
- France vs. Germany: 13th minute by Hummels, ended up being the only goal.
- Brazil vs. Colombia: 7th minute by Thiago Silva, ended up being the first goal out of two.
- Argentina vs. Belgium: 8th minute by Higuain, only goal.
- Brazil vs. Germany: 11th minute goal by Müller, we know how that panned out.

Looking at a few KO-stage matches in which there wasn't a goal in the first 15 minutes?
- Argentina vs. Switzerland: OVERTIME
- Netherlands vs. Mexico: BARELY NOT OVERTIME..
- Belgium vs. USA: OVERTIME
- France vs. Nigeria: Very late goals.
- Germany vs. Algeria: OVERTIME
- Netherlands vs. Costa Rica: PENALTIES..

So yeah, the team with the early goal tends to get the victory in the end and if there's no early goal, then the chances of overtime rise dramatically.

And thus the streets of Rio gave way to anarchy.

I don't think I've seen a team get annihilated this badly in a long time. This is an all too literal 6-0 sweep.

The riots and devastation among the Brazilians is expected. The only thing that warranted Brazil hosting this event was if they won it. Brazil is just too much in social instability apparently and all that money should've been invested in that.

FIFA has made a horrible decision.

2010: South Africa - Great tournament, but the nation is still in debt.
2014: Brazil - A nation which chose to invest in this tournament, rather then in its own people.
2018: Russia - We all know what happens in Russia, regarding human rights.
2022: Qatar - The death count is still rising...

GREAT JOB FIFA.. What's next, WC2026 hosted by Cuba?

Even Ash hasn't lost this badly yet..

It's not so much that, but I don't really approve of any team getting that kind of attitude, no matter who it is. Like, it's not a question of whether not Germany should have won that, I don't think anyone should be doubting that at this point. Banter is okay regardless, but this is more than just banter we've got going here. No doubt that there are Brazilians who are definitely going to take this loss too far, but I can't do anything but feel bad for the team itself.

To be fair, what were they supposed to do? Sportsmanship dictates that they would continue attacking at moderate pace. Which is what they did. It's not as if they were having exuberant celebrations at every goal.

7-1 was a bit much though.

Yeah, I even feel a bit guilty over my cheering speech in German..

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
To be fair, what were they supposed to do? Sportsmanship dictates that they would continue attacking at moderate pace. Which is what they did. It's not as if they were having exuberant celebrations at every goal.

I'm not at all against the banter, though, that's perfectly normal and is to be expected in any game. I'm not even saying that Germany shouldn't have scored that many goals, or even referring to the players and fans in the stadium. This post basically reiterates what I'm saying:

There's only so many bullets you can pump into a corpse before it becomes dishonourable to the dead.

This post sums it up perfectly down to the point of comparing Brazil to the dead. Every team is deserving of respect, and I think the Brazilian team itself deserved a bit more respect than they got from people watching the game.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm not a fan of soccer, so I only came here to see everyone's reactions.

Wonder if Brazilians will hate all Germans for the rest of their lives. South America is pretty much very soccer-focused than places like NA.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
This is my new favorite game, seriously the Brazil tears must taste delicious.

You know what you're on about ;)

Oh god! This is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in the World Cup. At least Spain put up a fight in the first half. This... Brazil is a paper tiger now. This team's reputation is based on the country's as a footballing nation.

This was my reaction to seeing the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfOjkB17BA Seriously though, I stopped ROTFL when I saw the pictures of the Brazillians crying and rioting, that's pretty upsetting to see the main vocal point of a nation lose so heavily in WC semi, and when so much money has gone into the tournament.

Amen to that. Funniest quote at the end: "That might just be enough to sway the momentum" xD

Boy, I knew these forums would explode now...

Honestly, I was rooting for Germany, so I can't help but feel excited over the success of the Germans. Good job to Kroos, Klose, Schurrle and Mueller! However, you have to feel awful for the Brazilian fans. Their team just got obliterated when they were picked to be the fan favourites, and many of the fans were crying over seeing the horror in their eyes.

I think the reason why this happened was because they lost Neymar and Thiago Silva, as well as the fact they lost all momentum when Mueller scored the first goal, because the Brazilians usually scored first, the Yellows were a bit taken aback when Die Mannschaft scored first, and they lost all confidence or momentum after that.

Last edited:

Sephora

yes I'm back
As much as it would be nice for Argentina to win in tomorrow's match against the Netherlands, I would rather the Netherlands win (even though I dislike them) so that way, the finals against Germany will be very entertaining. This World Cup has been very disappointing for me, so either way, I could care less who ends up the winner now. I just want a nice final match and hopefully the Netherlands won't play as dirty as they did in the last WC final (yeah, I'm looking at you De Jong).

Shiny Swalot

Shiny Swalot Powerz!
As much as it would be nice for Argentina to win in tomorrow's match against the Netherlands, I would rather the Netherlands win (even though I dislike them) so that way, the finals against Germany will be very entertaining. This World Cup has been very disappointing for me, so either way, I could care less who ends up the winner now. I just want a nice final match and hopefully the Netherlands won't play as dirty as they did in the last WC final (yeah, I'm looking at you De Jong).

De Jong can't play, he has something with its leg or knee or something, I don't know exactly.

I would like to have the finale Germany - The Netherlands too, but mainly because I am Dutch :p

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
Germany - Argentina would be my preferred final match-up, Messi definitely deserves a chance at the cup with his play in this tournament. Not to say Netherlands doesn't but out of the two teams I would much more like to see Argentina in the final.

Sephora

yes I'm back
De Jong can't play, he has something with its leg or knee or something, I don't know exactly.

Yeah I know. I was just using him as an example since his foul on Alonso during the last final was the worst lol

7 tyranitars

I hope for a Germany - the Netherlands final, mainly because I am Dutch, and we are quite obsessed with winning the world cup.

Shiny Swalot

Shiny Swalot Powerz!
Yeah I know. I was just using him as an example since his foul on Alonso during the last final was the worst lol

I know about that karate kick indeed. But, I just read a newspaper which said that he might be able to play, even against Argentina. Although he probably won't.

I wonder how Brazil wil do in the 3/4 final though

Sephora

yes I'm back
I think it would be sad if the Netherlands made it to the finals only to lose against Germany. I am not a Dutch fan (in any way actually), but I would still feel bad for them. I mean it would be their fourth time to make it to the finals without winning, and twice in a row ouch. Because as good as the Netherlands have been this World Cup, Germany have just been better. I mean they had problems against Mexico and Costa Rica which aren't that strong so...