• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

Sephora

yes I'm back
lolwhut guys? Worst reffed game HAS to be Italy vs Uruguay. Marco Rodriguez is a prick who stole our victory.

That game was terribly reffed, too. I just wasn't as emotionally enraged by the ref as the Colombia/Brazil game and that's why I didn't choose it. Brazil did not deserve to even make it to the semi-finals imo.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Argentina had Messi, but Germany had a whole team.
Pretty much this.

This was great tournament. Gotta put this to the list of best world cups.

4 years for the World Cup to come to the Motherland.

5221A

That game was terribly reffed, too. I just wasn't as emotionally enraged by the ref as the Colombia/Brazil game and that's why I didn't choose it. Brazil did not deserve to even make it to the semi-finals imo.
I'm surprised no one mentioned Brasil vs. Holand, I counted seven game changing errors in that one . Honestly, this cup had a lot of badly reffed games IMO.

As for the finals, I think Argentina deserved that game. While Germany played a better cup, Argentina played that game much better, even thought Argentina's shoots were really bad. IDK I may just be butthurt that Messi never won a cup and probable never will.

First pick well before the tournament began was Germany. Having dual citizenship with Germany and the U.S. has its perks :D. Glad to revel with my brethren in the 4th World Cup victory and i'm glad that the best team did indeed win. That was a big snub though giving Messi the Award for best player when he clearly was non-existent throughout the knockout rounds. Should've easily gone to Mueller or that Colombian player who's name escapes me right now. Regardless, the Germans won the game that counted and looked like the best team pretty much throughout the WC. I will say though that as a fan of the Germans, the greatest satisfaction didn't come from the World Cup Final, but the victory over Brazil in the semifinal. I still have some Brazilian tears in the fridge. MMMMMMMMM. Both teams deserved to be there and i would've been happy had the Argentinians won over Germany.

Biggest disappointment: Spain getting knocked out. I thought they were overrated at #1, but i didn't expect them to get knocked out of the group stage. Definitely a surprise and major disappointment.
Biggest shocker: Brazil getting roflstomped by Germany. Honorable mentions: Costa Rica exceeding expectations, Spain getting thwomped.
Best goal: James Rodriguez against Uruguay. Honorable mention: Schurrle goal against Brazil to put Germany up 7-0.
Worst reffed game: Colombia vs Brazil. To the refs' defenses, they weren't nearly as bad as Byron Moreno.
Best goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer
Best defender: Mats Hummels
Best scorer: Muller Honorable mention: Rodriguez
Biggest controversy: The vampiric Uruguayan.
Biggest surprise: Costa Rica. Honorable mentions: Brazil making it as far as they did with that team, Spain getting stomped.

That's my award list.
Very pleased with how this World Cup turned out. However, i can't say what things will be like after the World Cup fever has run its course. I expect a lot of upset Brazilians over the state of their country reappearing en masse protesting across the country (though technically they never really stopped the protests, they just died down a little during the World Cup.). Regardless, coming from someone who's watched every World Cup since South Korea, i definitely thought that this particular World Cup had the most fantastic "storyline" if you will, of any World Cup. If i could've wished anything different, i would've liked to have seen England make it through and i would've liked to see a greater effort from the Asian teams that made appearances.

7 tyranitars

I'm surprised no one mentioned Brasil vs. Holand, I counted seven game changing errors in that one . Honestly, this cup had a lot of badly reffed games IMO.

As for the finals, I think Argentina deserved that game. While Germany played a better cup, Argentina played that game much better, even thought Argentina's shoots were really bad. IDK I may just be butthurt that Messi never won a cup and probable never will.

That referee was awful lol. How he got to be the referee for such a match is an astonishment. Atleast he had his poor moments for both teams.

Nightmareisalive

That referee was awful lol. How he got to be the referee for such a match is an astonishment. Atleast he had his poor moments for both teams.

In fairness the referees have been horrible this world up. He was just keeping up the tread.

Germany may of one but boy did Argentina not miss some good chances. We saw first hand Argentina's problem. A team full of world class strikers who can't score for the national team.

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
Biggest disappointment: Costa Rica not beating the Netherlands. Even though I am Dutch. Seriously, I would have loved it to see Costa Rica making it to the finals or having to play against a demoralized Brazil.
Biggest shocker: I am going for the Netherlands 5 - 1 Spain. Everyone saw that Brazil was struggling the whole tournament. However, Spain was one of the favorites before the world cup started. And then they get whomped by a Dutch side that was supposed to struggle to get through the group stage. That was the biggest surprise to me, but it was close.
Best goal: Tim Cahill against the Netherlands.
Worst reffed game: Brazil vs Croatia.
Best goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer or Keylor Navas. Really can't decide on this one.
Best defender: Mats Hummels
Best scorer: Müller.
Biggest controversy: The refs.
Biggest surprise: Going with Costa Rica as well here.

bailey.ga

Biggest disappointment: Brazil actually being a 1 man team, I thought they were better than that.
Biggest shocker: Brazil 7-1, I thought germany would rip them to shreds when I seen their line up, but I was thinking 3 or 4 goals.
Best goal: Tim Cahill vs Netherlands. Unbelievable Tekkers.
Worst reffed game: Mexico vs Cameroon
Best goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer, if it wasn't for him, Germany could very well have been eliminated by Algeria
Best defender: Vlaar
Best scorer: James Rodriguez
Biggest controversy: That one player who forgot to have his lunch before the match. It could have been the dodgy linesman during the Mexico vs Cameroon game, but they were so bad it didn't matter in the end.
Biggest surprise: Algeria actually tried to WIN games. Or Costa Rica, I thought they would be the group's whipping boys

Biggest disappointment: Italy. Too bad that El Shaarawy wasn't at the WC. And that a team with Balotelli, Pirlo, Buffon, Marchisio and Verratti coudn't advance to the ko stages.
Biggest shocker: Netherlands beating Spain 5-1. I did not expect that they would win this game at all. If it was not for this victory than I don't think we would've ended in 3rd place.
Best goal: My favourite goal actually is the 2nd goal of Columbia against Uruguay. It was a great attack with a lot of combinations and a nice volley in the end. I saw that goal coming from a mile away. It was beautiful.
Worst reffed game: I don't know which one to pick. Croatia-Brazil was pretty bad and set a low bar, which continued throughout the tournament.
Best goalkeeper: I've seen a lot of good goalies this tournament: Howard, Ochua, Navas and Neuer. I think I'll go with Ochua since he really kept his team alive multiple times.
Best defender: Stefan de Vrij, no doubt.
Best scorer: James Rodriguez. I did know that he played for Monaco but I did not know that he is so good. The best attacking midfielder of the tournament.
Biggest controversy: Suarez bites, everbody knows that. Pepe also always loses his mind. I think I'll go with the riots in Brazil. People getting kicked out of their house and get arrested while Brazil burns their money on some stadiums that have also cost lives.
Biggest surprise: that has to be Costa Rica.

Overall this had to be one of the greatest tournaments I've ever seen. Although some of the knock out fixtures were not as good as in the group stages. Ahwell, can't have it all!

ToeyJoey

The Count
Or Costa Rica, I thought they would be the group's whipping boys

In the first games it was fine to say this when they were up against Uruguay, who they comprehensively beat. It was extremely disappointing to hear the term "whipping boys" tricked out before every one of their games, despite how well they performed. This should never have even been the base anyway. They finished second in CONCACAF qualifying, above Mexico.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Ah, I forgot to add this category:

Biggest Diver: Robben

Sephora

yes I'm back

ToeyJoey

The Count
Apparently we've fallen to 20th, this will not bode well for future qualifying groups but we deserve not to qualify from more tournaments.

Nightmareisalive

Apparently we've fallen to 20th, this will not bode well for future qualifying groups but we deserve not to qualify from more tournaments.

Beats being 70th *yay Ireland

England have a lot of work to do. Time to get rid of the players that don't perform for England and actually make a team that play. If future England teams can play like the one against Italy did England should have a good future

ToeyJoey

The Count
England have a lot of work to do. Time to get rid of the players that don't perform for England and actually make a team that play. If future England teams can play like the one against Italy did England should have a good future

Actually making a team that play wouldn't be a bad suggestion, as long as it's actually a team and not a collection of individuals. If the players' don't fit the system it does not matter how good the players are.

I really rooted for you guys at Euro 2012, Sean St. Ledger scoring that goal...