• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

Rezzo

Occasionally
Football Thread

Welcome to the football/soccer thread. This thread is specifically designed for the discussion of recent fixtures, matches, tournaments, competitions, transfers... - you name it - and anything else related to football that has happened in recent times. Feel free to discuss anything football-related that has happened in the news, or even at your local club if you play for one.

A Few Rules:
1. SPPf and Misc. Entertainment rules.
2. Don't spam/flame/troll
3. No fanboyisms please. What I mean is, don't come in here with nothing more to your post saying anything other than "Woo Go Manchester United!" or similar. I've seen people doing it before in this thread and it is quite annoying, so please don't do it, as it's spam.
4. Don't argue or quibble. It's pointless and leads to nothing, ultimately.
5. And for Goodness sake, please don't tell me that I should've called it the "Football thread". It's already been discussed a few posts down on this page (and a few others for that matter), and if it gets brought up again I'll just report you for trolling. It's called "The Soccer Thread" because "soccer" is a more universally understood word for the sport football. In other words, it will stop the topic from being potentially derailed by NFL fans posting before reading the topic or even just a few posts back.

Hot Topic

I'm busy. This won't get updated anytime soon. Have fun everyone

Last edited:

Nikator

RnG- The Masterpiece
Crouchy to Stoke looks set to go through. Fulham and Newcastle fighting over David Ruiz looks interesting. Probably the most interesting deadline day is over in Serie A: Pjanic from Lyon to Roma for 8m! (Arsenal should have looked there not at Arteta) Whilst Internazionale have replaced Eto'o with Zarate and Forlan to fit Gasperini's 3-4-3 system.
Arsenal are looking to revive a deal for Arteta and seem to be closing on Yossi, but personally I think they've left it far too late in the window. They knew months ago Cesc was leaving and if they had acted then wouldv'e done better. Also talk of overpaying is ridiculous, you can't tell me that Ashley Young and Downing (15m/17m) are worse than Gervinho (14m)

Rezzo

Occasionally
Arsenal have only started moving now because of the 8-2 loss, and Wenger really is starting to feel under pressure as a manager. Whatever they can salvage in the next few minutes won't be good enough to keep them fighting for the title, I can almost assure you.

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
Arsenal got Mertesacker for around £10 million today. It's a decent price for a solid, experienced defender which is desperately needed especially after we got raped 8-2 last weekend. Looking to hopefully see a great partnership with Vermelaen form.

I hope Arsenal step up because Liverpool and Man City mean business.

Nikator

RnG- The Masterpiece
Mertesacker is sadly (Like Koscielny, Squillaci, Dareisay bramble..) prone to an error and the odd nightmareish day. But on his day he is a very good defender. Arsenals problems aren't quite as deep as people make out, Wenger did get his tactics wrong and they are hugely depleted with injuries and suspensions but still the squad is too weak to challenge for the title.
Tim Vickery rates Andre Santos so that's good enough for me, whilst Park Chu Yung has never really lit up ligue 1 like his early season promised too. They all seem like panic buys. If wenger had moved earlier in the market he could have done much better. The other day he talked about not spending money on players for the sake of it, and not on players he didn't think were better than his own. Which makes me question some of the current transfer targets somewhat.

7 tyranitars

Please call it Football as 95% of the worlds calls it.

Rezzo

Occasionally
And I don't want your +1s and overwhelming arrogance in this thread. Are you here because you feel like being a total idiot, or because you, just plainly, feel like ****ing me off?

Moneyy

INACTIVE
And I don't want your +1s and overwhelming arrogance in this thread. Are you here because you feel like being a total idiot, or because you, just plainly, feel like ****ing me off?

How am I being an idiot, kid? I pointed out that there was already a NFL thread, so you would have to either be blind or a dumb*ss to post in here instead.

Rezzo

Occasionally
woah. what happened to talking about the transfer market?

Liverpool re-signed Craig Bellamy. He could make a difference to their squad, but he isn't getting any younger.

Also QPR signed Wright Phillips, which is a very good move for both him and Rangers. Should be interesting to see how he will cope there.

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
Arteta and Benayoun to Arsenal! Arteta cost £10-11 million approximately and Yossi came on loan. Arteta is a good player, a little old at 29 but can make things happen and Yossi still got some tricks so I wonder how they'll fit in the starting XI.

Phoopes

There it is.
I'm happy with what my favorite team, Barcelona, (I bandwagoned when Ronaldinho was there, lol) did this season. Adding Cesc Fabregas is a great addition for us. He scored a goal in his first match, so that's always a good sign. Most importantly, may he help us whoop Real Madrid's behinds. Go Barca!

Rezzo

Occasionally
Paying €40 million for a substitute is quite a strange decision though. Fabregas is a great player, and there's no way that a player like him should be anything other than first team.

MewTwoEx

Metagross Master
Xavi is getting old so he's the long term replacement.

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
Xavi first, Fabregas second... But what about Thiago? Another young talent with quality and talent. Great potential as a center midfielder. Barca are too much!