• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
No news is good news.....right?

No news as of late but expect some during the close of the transfer window, even if he is still at Arsenal by then expect the papers and the rumour mill to be in full force seeing as they need a big name transfer to fill the back pages with and this is pretty much their transfer

masukippa

Would love to hear the opinions of fans of other clubs on the situation at Spurs. The press seem to be acting like AVB is a disaster and without Saint Harry we will drop to our 'natural position' of 10th-13th. Meanwhile amongst Spurs fans the mood is largely optimistic; we see AVB as a bright young manager, making promoising signings in Vertonghen, Sigurdsson and (nearly) Adebayor, with rumours of interest in Muller, Moutinho and Lloris also. I suspect opposition fans' opinions will sit somewhere between these two points of view, with reserved judgement on AVB.

In brighter Newcastle news, we signed Mathieu Debuchy from Lille today, according to the Daily Mail. Only the Mail is reporting it, though, so maybe we didn't, but hopefully it indicates we're close to reaching a deal.

yeah and we were almost gonna get andy carroll until liverpool decided that it probably wasn't in their best interests to sell/loan one of the best members of the england squad in E2012 for less than they bought him for

shame really

also i'd take any deals the mail suggests with a pinch of salt until chronicle or the club confirms

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
In conclusion, great move on Tottenham's part

I was talking about this with a friend but basically said that sacking Harry Redknapp was the best move they could have done especially when they replaced him with AVB as with Redknapp he had low expectations and with the players Tottenham have settling for 4th wasn't exactly something he should have been aiming for. At one point late in the season Tottenham were essentially 2 points behind top spot or something which really they should have built upon that and used it as a platform but they just ended up under-performing and finished 4th which would have pleased Redknapp so I don't suspect that he would have really pushed his players that hard.

AVB doesn't strike me as the sort of person that would have allowed that to happen. The fact that he's talking about Tottenham challenging for the title means he is going to try and motivate his players to do just that which he should as the players Tottenham really are good enough to actually challenge at least for the title until maybe the last month or so and even if they don't they have a young and ambitious manager who is only going to get better provided they stick with him.

KickAsh

halted development
Would love to hear the opinions of fans of other clubs on the situation at Spurs. The press seem to be acting like AVB is a disaster and without Saint Harry we will drop to our 'natural position' of 10th-13th. Meanwhile amongst Spurs fans the mood is largely optimistic; we see AVB as a bright young manager, making promoising signings in Vertonghen, Sigurdsson and (nearly) Adebayor, with rumours of interest in Muller, Moutinho and Lloris also. I suspect opposition fans' opinions will sit somewhere between these two points of view, with reserved judgement on AVB.
Personally, I think Spurs will do fine next season. AVB is a very talented manager, the failed Chelsea experiment was due to player rebellion more than anything else. I think a young, driven manager is just what Spurs need, and will help them improve in the long run. Redknapp is a great manager but was perhaps not as focused as Villas-Boas will be. And yeah, you've had a great summer so far, Vertonghen and Sigurdsson are both very nice signings, and if you do sign Adebayor as is likely than things will look even brighter. Signing Muller, Moutinho, or Lloris would all be tremendous signings (especially Moutinho as he has worked with AVB before) and you might have a shot at them because Modric's transfer will give you very large amounts of money. Modric's transfer is in fact the only negative thing I can think of right now, but Moutinho would be a very worthy replacement.

tl;dr Spurs will be fine. I'm going to guess they'll finish 5th, but will improve in following seasons.

KickAsh

halted development
Didn't tottenham announce they were out of the deal because Porto wanted 30 million and tottenham was only willing to give 20? Thats what I read in Portuguese newspaper :p
Googled, and yeah, Porto is telling Tottenham to match Moutinho's release clause of £31.5 million (which would be almost all the money freed up by selling Modric.) And understandably, Tottenham does not want to go that high.
This is seriously typical Porto, overvaluing their players and then refusing to sell for anything except the towering sums.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Googled, and yeah, Porto is telling Tottenham to match Moutinho's release clause of £31.5 million (which would be almost all the money freed up by selling Modric.) And understandably, Tottenham does not want to go that high.
This is seriously typical Porto, overvaluing their players and then refusing to sell for anything except the towering sums.

The president said they will only sell Hulk for 100 million euros -_- But I bet Barca or Madrid could match that.
I would sell Moutinho (if i was working for porto) for like 25 million plus a player

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
It's a shame about Hulk because I would love to see him come to the Premier League, realistically to Chelsea. And speaking of Chelsea, they just signed Oscar from Internacional for £25m. Looks a promising attacking player.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
I would love to see Moutinho at Manchester United. He would fit the bill and take over from the aging Scholes, Giggs and Carrick. I'm understandably excited about us being linked with Lucas, but i fear that the media can sometimes overhype Brazilian players like Lucas, Neymar and Oscar. The Brazilian League is no way near the English Premier League or the La Liga, so it'll be a huge step up for these players.

I personally dont understand why Berbatov was ignored in the last season. After all, he WAS the top scorer in the previous season. IMO he's better than Welbeck and maybe even Hernandez, but he's old and Fergie wants to develop the youth. I wish him all the best wherever he goes. He still can cut it out at the top level and i'd love to see him return to Spurs where he was one of the most dangerous forwards in the league!

masukippa

I would love to see Moutinho at Manchester United. He would fit the bill and take over from the aging Scholes, Giggs and Carrick. I'm understandably excited about us being linked with Lucas, but i fear that the media can sometimes overhype Brazilian players like Lucas, Neymar and Oscar. The Brazilian League is no way near the English Premier League or the La Liga, so it'll be a huge step up for these players.

I personally dont understand why Berbatov was ignored in the last season. After all, he WAS the top scorer in the previous season. IMO he's better than Welbeck and maybe even Hernandez, but he's old and Fergie wants to develop the youth. I wish him all the best wherever he goes. He still can cut it out at the top level and i'd love to see him return to Spurs where he was one of the most dangerous forwards in the league!
Berbatov was incredible at Spurs. Absolutely incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQxAqYDGL8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAYFp1g35QU

~Nicole~

Banned
Berbatov is an incredible player and I think he'd have done good alongside Wayne Rooney in a formation with 2 forwards ( I think Man U uses a formation with 2 forwards ) and he's definitely much better than Danny Welbeck, but I guess Fergie knew what he was doing, so I digress. I still think Hernandez is better than him, still don't know why Danny is preferred alongside Rooney, but I guess it works because Rooney and Danny have developed a special partnership together, so it works.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Apparently Berbatov's pretty keen on joining Milan, specially now that PSG have almost signed Ibrahimovic! All these are reliable stories as my source is skysports.com which only releases information after they are concrete and confirmed, unlike goal.com which says Ronaldihno's coming to Man United!(which i would love to be honest!)

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Excuse me

Yeah, I don't think so...

~Nicole~

Banned
Apparently Berbatov's pretty keen on joining Milan, specially now that PSG have almost signed Ibrahimovic! All these are reliable stories as my source is skysports.com which only releases information after they are concrete and confirmed, unlike goal.com which says Ronaldihno's coming to Man United!(which i would love to be honest!)

I didn't read that Ron is going to Man U, all I read was that Milan plan to sign a champion in attack, whoever ' a champion ' is.

KickAsh

halted development
Berbatov is one of the most underrated footballers to ever play the game. He was world class at Tottenham, and still very good at Man U imo. It's quite sad that he's fallen from favor so completely, and I hope he goes to a club where he will excel.

Jinvaani

Berbatov is one of the most underrated footballers to ever play the game. He was world class at Tottenham, and still very good at Man U imo. It's quite sad that he's fallen from favor so completely, and I hope he goes to a club where he will excel.

But when you look at him, he just seems slow and uninterested. Maybe that's just me though...

...and I'm looking forward to seeing Brendan Rogers falling flat on his face next season. Sacked by January.

EDIT: I would like to see Pacheco/Sterling get some first team action though.

Last edited:

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
Neither, I just dislike the fact that he ditched Swansea for a team that is arguably worse, and showed little loyalty.

Fair enough although some would say he simply wanted to move to a bigger club but hey, let's wait and see if he can turn Liverpool's fortunes around or for him to fall flat on his face like you said.