• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
The best at what he does

It's debatable whether Rooney is actually better than van Persie as the thing with van Persie is that he will guarantee you goals with the right set up. As a pure striker van Persie is clearly miles better than Rooney, if we're talking about overall ability then people may have a case for Rooney being better than van Persie but I've always thought that judging players on overall ability is rather pointless as it's like marking them for things they aren't expected to do, like marking a centre back for his shooting ability.

The thing with strikers is unless it's absolutely not part of their game and they just don't have the build for it (Heskey) then they really should be judged on their ability to score goals as that essentially is their role in the team and there is none better at scoring goals than Robin van Persie himself.

He proved this in a very average Arsenal squad and I guarantee that once he's settled in the Manchester United squad and he doesn't have a major injury then he will be even better than what he was for Arsenal.

~Nicole~

Banned
Man, Barcelona's tactics in the transfer market are the worst. Take Alex Song. Barca is interested in signing him, so all of a sudden Pique and Iniesta can't stop praising him. They've never mentioned him before, but now Barca want to sign him and they're acting as if he's the best player in the world to try and lure him to the Nou Camp. It was the same with Fabregas. Bleh.
And now Barcelona's VP makes a surprise trip to London to negotiate for Song.

I'd have to completely disagree, Rooney is definitely better than RvP imo.

I think a lot of Man U fans (like maybe Zantera) are worried that Rooney and van Persie might not get along very well. They might not, but if they do then imagine the havoc they would wreak on the EPL. I'd be pretty positive about the transfer if I was a United fan.

I don't want Alex Song playing for my team, yuck!!! I'd rather we get Agger ( I think we are ). Agger said Liverpool might sell him and we want a CB so he's perfect.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^I am not too sure about them wanting Song either...

Other than that, stuff seems ok. Modric is rumoured to be heading to Madrid though...

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Excited with RVP's arrival! Obviously there have been arguments as to how he would fit in and about his age, but its obvious Fergie wants him as a short term solution to wrestle off Manchester City and be dominant in Europe again..

My predicted EPL table

1. Manchester United(Last season we only lost on goal difference and at the last second literally, so this season, with our new signings + Nemanja Vidic, we should win)
2. Manchester City
3. Arsenal(still an extremely strong squad)
4. Chelsea
5. Tottenham
6. Liverpool
7. Newcastle
8. Everton
9. Fulham
10. Aston Villa
11. Stoke City
12. QPR
13. Reading
14. Sunderland
15. West Ham
16. West Brom
17. Swansea City(departure of great manager + teams started getting used to their style of play)
18. Norwich City(conceded too many goals last season+departure of great manager)
19. Southampton
20. Wigan(something's gotta give+losing their best players)

Its a pretty sad situation for Norwich and Swansea to have done so well on their first season, but having their managers leave. Second season syndrome can also be a b*tch....

ToeyJoey

The Count
Are you seriously predicting Wigan to go down? They only get stronger, the more they're written off.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^I'll agree with you apart from Newcastle and Man City. Man City are still gonna be on fire, and Newcastle look damn strong. I see Aston Villa doing crap, and Sunderland might breach top 10.

Ninjames

NOT JACK WILSHIRE
My Premier League table prediction;

1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Chelsea
4. Tottenham
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool
7. Newcastle
8. Stoke City
9. Everton
10. Sunderland
11. Norwich City
12. West Brom
13. Aston Villa
14. Fulham
15. Swansea City
16. West Ham
17. Wigan
18. QPR
19. Southampton
20. Reading

Jinvaani

My predictions :D

Premier League
1. Man United, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man City, 4. Arsenal, 5. Liverpool.
18. Swansea, 19. Norwich, 20. Reading

FA Cup - Chelsea
League Cup - Tottenham
Champions League - Barcelona

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
It's like everyone wants to leave

Because he apparently has a poor attitude and does not want to be there anymore. No point in keeping a player if he feels that way as it's only going to affect the rest of the team.

I wouldn't like Arsenal to get rid of Song just simply based on his ability and how I think he would still do a good job if he was more focused and disciplined but should he live then replacing has to be a priority for Arsenal as defensively they are not that brilliant and weakening your defensive options is not the way to proceed.

KickAsh

halted development
Yeah, I thought Wenger said he was going to hold out for like £25m. Is it just rumors or has it been confirmed? If it's for real, what a setback for Arsenal. There are other fantastic defensive midfielders (Xabi Alonso, Michael Essien, Javi Martinez), sure, but Song fit in well, liked the club, and now the Gunners have to go out and find a replacement.

e: Apparently he didn't like the club, according to the post above. Well yeah now they have to go in full replacement mode, maybe they're hoping to get Xabi with the rumors circulating that he won't renew his contract, but that seems like a step back considering Xabi's age. He's a brilliant player but he's on the wrong side of 30, while Song was quite young.
I feel sort of bad for Arsenal.

Last edited:

Rezzo

Occasionally
My Premier League table prediction;

1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Chelsea
4. Tottenham
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool
7. Newcastle
8. Stoke City
9. Everton
10. Sunderland
11. Norwich City
12. West Brom
13. Aston Villa
14. Fulham
15. Swansea City
16. West Ham
17. Wigan
18. QPR
19. Southampton
20. Reading

Reading won't finish 20th. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no team has ever been relegated subsequently after winning the Championship, let alone finished bottom place. Otherwise I pretty much agree, just move Fulham to 11th and switch Reading to 14th.

KickAsh

halted development
Good luck to Madrid, I dunno what they trying to do by buying Modric,
I'm going out a limb here, but I think what they're trying to do is get a world-class midfielder.

ToeyJoey

The Count
Reading won't finish 20th. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no team has ever been relegated subsequently after winning the Championship

Norwich: 2003-2004 Title, 2004-2005 relegation.

I believe...