• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

Latch

Funky Fresh
They won't have much to do if our current playing style is anything to go by. IMO we should buy a CB just in case, for I fear later down the road we will regret our decision, just like last season actually, but this time I'm actually convinced we don't NEED a new defender.

I feel like they'll regret not picking up anybody now. Even a defender that they can develop.

I feel the defense was never the problem. Our tactics was the problem. But now we're pressing higher up the pitch like we used to, and even though we have the SAME defenders, our goal hasn't been peppered like it was from the off last season.

Latch

Funky Fresh
I feel the defense was never the problem. Our tactics was the problem. But now we're pressing higher up the pitch like we used to, and even though we have the SAME defenders, our goal hasn't been peppered like it was from the off last season.

Just if you're pressing so high counter attacks are problematic. Barca can hold on to the ball for a long periods of time and find little seams but, when they play a little more pacey offenses they can't keep up with them on counters. Agreed?

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Who is he apparently transferring? Or we know nothing at all?

Some rumours are true, like we made a bid for Cabaye, Jovetic, Higuain etc. But more serious businesses are secret.

So the game between Arsenal and Fenerbache will be tough for the team. Monreal, Sagna, Ramsey and Rosicky are back to the team, well that's a good news. The bad news is we are playing an away game, which is not cool for us imo. Best of luck to the team, hope they could handle this.

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
As long as we can nick an away goal or draw we'll have a great chance in the second leg back at the Emirates. I'm just praying we have no more injuries.

Just if you're pressing so high counter attacks are problematic. Barca can hold on to the ball for a long periods of time and find little seams but, when they play a little more pacey offenses they can't keep up with them on counters. Agreed?

When we are in possession and attacking, Busquets drops back with the two CB's to act as a third defender, and Dani Alves looks more balanced now, he isn't a RW playing RB anymore :p

Having said that, tonight is the first leg of the Supercup against Atletico! My predictions are:

Atletico de Madrid 0-2 FC Barcelona

FC Barcelona 3-1 Atletico de Madrid

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Nice game there between PSV and Milan. They should've won it. But a poor performance by Abiatti there.

Sociedad won 2-0 against Lyon. What a nice overhead kick by Griezmann. Seferovic also scored a decent goal.

Zenit won 4-1 against some team from Europe named Pacos or something like that. Shirokov scored a hattrick.

Celtic lost 2-0 against Shakter, a club from Kazakhstan. Well, I thought Celtic would win it. That would be tough for them.

I didn't think Milan's goalkeeper was that bad, he was only constantly stalling for time which was incredibly annoying. I don't see PSV moving on to the next round but there's always a chance.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Suprised Sociedad got the win, only because Lyon have good European pedigree. But those were two class goals.

Kinda sad Pacos lost that heavily, the fact that they even got to qualification is a minor miracle, given that they had to finish above the likes of Braga and Maritimo, and that their stadium capacity is roughly the same as Hereford United's.

As for Celtic, they can turn it round against Karagandy but it won't be easy. It would be amazing for Karagandy though who've already put out BATE.

Latch

Funky Fresh
Suprised Sociedad got the win, only because Lyon have good European pedigree. But those were two class goals.

Kinda sad Pacos lost that heavily, the fact that they even got to qualification is a minor miracle, given that they had to finish above the likes of Braga and Maritimo, and that their stadium capacity is roughly the same as Hereford United's.

As for Celtic, they can turn it round against Karagandy but it won't be easy. It would be amazing for Karagandy though who've already put out BATE.

Lyon has been quite quiet lately after selling their main striker. It was still a good game.

I hear there's action back in Spain right now. The Supercup matches are starting close to midnight, and the subway usually closes before that time. We're hearing that in Barcelona the subway will be closing later than usual next Wednesday to accommodate the kick off time, but we're not sure what's going on in Madrid. Interesting shit this. Could this mean low attendance?

Nightmareisalive

So Arsenal won 3-0 vs Fenerbahce. Arsenal were pretty good but Fenerbahce were very poor. Arsenal easily dominated them all game. It seemed the Fenerbahce players didn't care a big contrast with their fans.

Giroud was poor for good parts of the game. Indecisive in the build up play, not on the same wave length as the other Arsenal players and didn't assert any dominance at all by telling his teammates were he wanted them to play the ball. We need a striker that can do all that Giroud's good but he's not the striker first choice striker we need at the minute.

Hey Micky!

Glad to see Arsenal negotiate that tie pretty safely. If they'd come back from Turkey with a poor result the pressure would really be on (And personally, I want to see Arsenal do well - they play a nice brand of football, they're one of the few clubs to manage their finances soundly and they try to bring through youth players). In saying that, the pressure is still on and they really need to recruit some new first-team players. However, I have no idea why they're in the market for Cabaye when they have Wilshere, Rosicky and Ramsey (who before tonight I was sceptical of but he certainly looked the part tonight) who all pretty much do the same kind of thing.

I'm with Nightmareisalive that another first choice striker is needed, though who they'd get that would be an improvement at this point I have no idea. A tough tackling/defensive-minded midfielder is what they really need. They should've made a move for him 2 seasons ago but someone like Barton would really help the team I reckon. They missed out on Parker, I was surprised to hear he made a move to Fulham. He would be a less controversial (Spurs relation aside) choice for the same kind of job. But either way, I think they're really missing out on someone to do that job for them.

Ninjames

NOT JACK WILSHIRE
I hear there's action back in Spain right now. The Supercup matches are starting close to midnight, and the subway usually closes before that time. We're hearing that in Barcelona the subway will be closing later than usual next Wednesday to accommodate the kick off time, but we're not sure what's going on in Madrid. Could this mean low attendance?

I think the subways should close at the normal time rather than moving their times around just to accommodate a football teams schedule. Might force those in power to change the times the matches start. Is an 11pm kick-off really necessary? Hardly fan-friendly now is it?

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Schalke 1-1 PAOK Salonica

Seems like the start of the season isn't going great for Schalke. I hope they do make it through though because they're capable of so much when they play well.

Fenerbahce 0-3 Arsenal

Honestly thought Fenerbahce would do better, for a team that was in the semi-finals last year. Well at least this might raise Arsenal's morale for the next few games

Also Chelsea beat Aston Villa. Aston Villa played well but Chelsea was too much for them, and honestly see Chelsea as a strong team instead of a team that parks the bus often. Mourinho is doing good to Chelsea.

Also sad Pacos de Ferreira lost to Zenit. They did amazing for a team that used to finish in the last few spots in the Portuguese League, but they did lose their coach who went to Porto. Oh well, it would have been nice to have a 3rd representant for Portugal but guess not, unless a miracle happens. At least Benfica and Porto are both in Pot 1 for the group stage. So we avoid the bigger teams like Madrid Barca and Bayern. Unfortunately we still need to be careful with teams like City, PSG and Dortmund

Woah Barca is losing! Villa scored. Pretty hilarious how Villa scored against Barca.

But Neymar has tied, is this his first goal in official games for Barca?

Last edited:
Atletico Madrid 1-1 FC Barcelona

David Villa scores a stunning volley and celebrates, Neymar scores his first goal for Barca!

It definitely wasn't a vintage performance from Barca, and Messi went off at half time with a knock, but the 1-1 is definitely a positive result heading into the 2nd leg at home.

Nightmareisalive

Atletico Madrid 1-1 FC Barcelona

David Villa scores a stunning volley and celebrates, Neymar scores his first goal for Barca!

It definitely wasn't a vintage performance from Barca, and Messi went off at half time with a knock, but the 1-1 is definitely a positive result heading into the 2nd leg at home.

Well it makes the second tie all the most interesting. Atletico are finally showing the rest of Spain it is possible to battle against Real and Barca with wise investment and the hunger to succeed. It will be interesting how Barca fans will treat Villa after celebrating scoring against them.

Atletico made me proud tonight, it wasn't a bad performance at all from them. Will they crumble at the Camp Nou? That's the question that should be on everyone's mind right now. I'm sticking to my 3-1 prediction for the second leg, to Barca.