• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

Hey Micky!

Europe wise, I'm amazed Chelsea got stunned by Basel. But they'll still qualify from their group. Arsenal got a fantastic result given the group of death factor, Man City's result was a bit of a given and I was very impressed with Fellaini's first start for Man U (and obviously impressed with Rooney who seems to be in sparkling mode again based on his performances since being brought back into the Man U first team). Swansea impressed in Europe as well but there's only so much you can glean from a match against a 10 man side that have been struggling in their home league with 11 men; and as for Spurs, I don't see how they could not qualify from their group. As for Wigan, I'm amazed they're playing their first team in Europe when you consider how many games they have to play (Championship, the two domestic cups and Europe), but it's a good point for them and it's nice to see that they're taking it seriously (even if from a logical perspective I see it as a misuse of resources, getting back into the EPL has to be their priority no matter how nice a European cup run would be).

Also, chiming in slightly belatedly into the Bale or Neymar argument. First of all I'm of the opinion Neymar is the better business, and not just because he cost half the price. He's far from the finished article right now (naturally) but he's already a game-winning quality player with plenty of improvement to be made. He's only played alongside and against the best South America's club football can offer, he's definitely going to improve alongside and against the best Europe has to offer. Additionally, I think he's at the kind of club that's going to suit his development perfectly. He already has that kind of balance and technique that Messi possessed at a similar age and I don't think the idea of him becoming a Messi-quality player in the next 3 or 4 years is a farfetched concept. Bale on the other hand I reckon has perhaps a little bit more improvement to gain, but he's close to being the finished article already as far as fulfilling his potential goes and I can't see him ever reaching the kind of heights that justify an £80M price-tag.

No player is worth more than 70-75 million. Not even Ronaldo or Messi. The amount Madrid paid for Bale is an insult to the economy nowadays...
See, I genuinely believe Ronaldo and Messi are worth that (and perhaps more). Both can almost single-handedly win games even when they're up against and playing with teams full of stars. The amount of times I've seen Messi somehow drag Barcelona to a win when they look to be out of ideas (see vs. PSG last season for example) is amazing when you consider that he's playing in a team full of world class players - as for Ronaldo, that goals-to-game ratio for a player who isn't even an out-and-out striker is invaluable. Can you imagine a team like Arsenal with Ronaldo? They'd win the title every season in my opinion, the amount of goals he brings is just that influential. With the amount of money that's in football right now, having players like them who can practically function as "I win" buttons in a good 90% of the games they play in, them supplying trophies and wins adds to plenty to their values. Then you consider the merchandising and sponsorship prospects, as well as the harder to measure aspects like prestige and raising/maintaining the club's profile and I'd definitely say Ronaldo and Messi are worth that. But of course, that's just Ronaldo and Messi. As for Bale, I definitely don't think he's worth that. Certainly a fantastic player, and at times functioned like an "I win" button for Spurs last season, but he's nowhere near the same level as Ronaldo and Messi in being able to act like a one-man team. The easiest comparison to make is that he costs essentially to Ozils, and whilst I would rather have Bale than Ozil (another debate for another time), he certainly isn't worth twice as much as Ozil in my eyes.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Prrrredictions!

Norwich 2-2 Aston Villa
Liverpool 3-0 Southampton
Newcastle 0-0 Hull
West Brom 2-3 Sunderland
West Ham 2-1 Everton
Chelsea 2-1 Fulham

Arsenal 2-1 Stoke
Crystal Palace 1-1 Swansea
Cardiff 0-0 Tottenham
Man City 0-1 Man Utd

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Predictions

Norwich 1-2 Aston Villa
Liverpool 2-0 Southampton
Newcastle 1-0 Hull
West Brom 1-0 Sunderland
West Ham 0-2 Everton
Chelsea 1-0 Fulham
Arsenal 3-0 Stoke
Crystal Palace 1-3 Swansea
Cardiff 2-2 Tottenham
Man City 3-3 Man Utd

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
Predictions

Norwich 1-2 Aston Villa
Liverpool 2-0 Southampton
Newcastle 1-0 Hull
West Brom 1-0 Sunderland
West Ham 0-2 Everton
Chelsea 1-0 Fulham
Arsenal 3-0 Stoke
Cardiff 2-2 Tottenham
Man City 3-3 Man Utd

Spurs and Man City will both win I predict, can't see either drawing.

Hey Micky!

Predictions

Norwich 2-3 Aston Villa
Neither side have rock solid defences and both have decent attacks so I expect goals, but I can see Villa getting the win thanks to Benteke and Agbonlahor being on fire lately.

Liverpool 1-0 Southampton
Liverpool are without Coutinho so I think they will struggle to create chances. I can see them pinching a goal and winning but I could imagine them struggling for ideas.

Newcastle 2-0 Hull
Hull are pretty average. I think they'll put up a fight but Newcastle simply have better quality and a home advantage. I'd like Hull to do well however since I have 3 of them in my Fantasy squad right now (mostly because they're cheap).

West Brom 0-0 Sunderland
Both struggling at the foot of the table. You can never be sure what'll happen when The Stoppable Force meets The Movable Object so I'll toss my hat on a safe man's bet of 0-0.

West Ham 0-1 Everton
West Ham are solid at the back but can't score. I expect Everton to nick it.

Chelsea 4-0 Fulham
I don't expect Fulham to trouble Chelsea, but after mid-week disappointment I expect the Chelsea players will want to turn on the style and flamboyance, especially in front of heir home fans. I see a big win for Chelsea if they can get an early goal.

Arsenal 3-0 Stoke
Arsenal are in great form, should be a comfy routine win.

Palace have a bit of an attacking threat but their defence will struggle to cope with a buoyent Swansea.

Cardiff 0-2 Tottenham
Spurs simply have a lot more quality right now.

Man City 0-0 Man Utd
God I hope I'm wrong. I really really do. But I expect a boredraw. Man City are a shambles as far as I'm concerned, though Kompany's return may help get them back on track. City have yet to turn on the style (bar opening day versus a shambolic Newcastle) and whilst Man U are finding the style button, their defence is still shaky and I wouldn't be surprised to see them spend most of them game trying to keep things tight. But as I say, I pray I'm wrong and both sides go for it, because when both sides go for it we've had some right treats over the past few seasons from this derby.

7 tyranitars

Seems as though Messi watched the Gala-Madrid match and got fired up for that match against Ajax xD Beating the Dutch champions 4-0 is a wonderful start to the Champions League for us though, some encouraging signs there, seeing Valdes play so well, but I'm worried that he had to do so much in the first place :S Anyway, awesome start to the UCL for us, Messi with a hattrick, Pique with a goal, awesome-sauce.

Bad Barca bullying Dutch teams! ;) Good win from Barcas side, I do think a 4-0 is a bit flattered.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
See, I genuinely believe Ronaldo and Messi are worth that (and perhaps more). Both can almost single-handedly win games even when they're up against and playing with teams full of stars. The amount of times I've seen Messi somehow drag Barcelona to a win when they look to be out of ideas (see vs. PSG last season for example) is amazing when you consider that he's playing in a team full of world class players - as for Ronaldo, that goals-to-game ratio for a player who isn't even an out-and-out striker is invaluable. Can you imagine a team like Arsenal with Ronaldo? They'd win the title every season in my opinion, the amount of goals he brings is just that influential. With the amount of money that's in football right now, having players like them who can practically function as "I win" buttons in a good 90% of the games they play in, them supplying trophies and wins adds to plenty to their values. Then you consider the merchandising and sponsorship prospects, as well as the harder to measure aspects like prestige and raising/maintaining the club's profile and I'd definitely say Ronaldo and Messi are worth that. But of course, that's just Ronaldo and Messi. As for Bale, I definitely don't think he's worth that. Certainly a fantastic player, and at times functioned like an "I win" button for Spurs last season, but he's nowhere near the same level as Ronaldo and Messi in being able to act like a one-man team. The easiest comparison to make is that he costs essentially to Ozils, and whilst I would rather have Bale than Ozil (another debate for another time), he certainly isn't worth twice as much as Ozil in my eyes.

Ronaldo and Messi are amazing players, no doubt. But over 75 million... like honestly 10-15 years ago, teams would never pay that much. As teams are starting to pay more and more for players, imagine in 10 years, smaller teams will have NO chance because if they dont win now, they dont make extra money. Teams wont be able to compete, unless they pull a PSG, Monaco, etc and some guy from qatar buys the team.

Hey Micky!

Ronaldo and Messi are amazing players, no doubt. But over 75 million... like honestly 10-15 years ago, teams would never pay that much. As teams are starting to pay more and more for players, imagine in 10 years, smaller teams will have NO chance because if they dont win now, they dont make extra money. Teams wont be able to compete, unless they pull a PSG, Monaco, etc and some guy from qatar buys the team.
Of course 10-15 years ago teams would never pay that much - but then again 13 years ago the transfer record was £45.6M (Zidane), and 16 years ago £19.5M (Brazilian Ronaldo) - at the time at their peaks and quite arguably the best players of their generation [naturally I didn't know this off of the top of my head, I consulted this] - but nowadays £19.5M is a number routinely paid for comparatively average players (Downing to Liverpool and Darren Bent to Aston Villa to pick on a couple of the less successful uses of that sum of money) and £45.6M is around the asking price for the majority of "Excellent-but-not-world's-best" (for lack of a suitable adjective) players that is paid routinely by the top clubs (this summer alone we had around that fee for Ozil, Cavani, Falcao and Neymar).

It's just an incredibly sad reality of the state of the game right now and how money is distributed. 10-15 years ago there simply wasn't this amount of money involved and now there is - and unfortunately it's too late for ideas such as a "Salary cap" or "Transfer fee limits" to be introduced - The Financial Fair Play rules are about as close a chance we have to controlling it but frankly I already think it's gone beyond control; particularly when you look at clubs like Real & Barca who negotiate their TV deals separate to the rest of their league and are therefore able to sustain their frankly ridiculous financial advantage quite comfortably. As I say, the sad reality of Bale's move is it'll probably be at worst a "break even" financially for Real in merchandising, sponsorship and Bale's on-the-pitch contribution and at best would be a real coup (I scoffed at Ronaldo's fee when it happens but frankly, I think they did a great bit of business in hindsight - I can't imagine how far Barca, who were going through a real golden phase at the time for transfer - would've pulled away from Real without him).

As for the small team argument, sadly that's exactly the way it will be. I reckon we'll continue to see the occasional "meteoric rise" (a la Swansea and Southampton) from the lower leagues to the Premier League within a decade (and similar possibilities of the same proportions in other national leagues), but I don't believe we'll ever see teams like that crack into the Champions League within a decade (I could foresee them pulling it off in another 5-10 years, but that would then be the equivalent of a team like West Brom or Sunderland - teams that have been in the EPL for several years - "rise" to Champions League spots) and the idea of a newly promoted team ever winning the Premier League title within 10 years of being promoted is essentially impossible. Unless there's a significant financial implosion/bubble burst, what we presently see as the top teams will probably maintain their positions, we've been talking about Man U, Real, Barca, Bayern, etc for decades and we'll continue to - the only change I foresee is clubs being bought up by foreign owners and making quick rises (Chelsea, PSG, Man City, etc.), which'll hopefully be offset now by FFP rules - and perhaps a big rise for top clubs in 'smaller' nations if those nations experience economic upturns - but any major paradigm shifts are very unlikely and I won't be surprised to see Bale's transfer record broken yet again within 5 years - most probably by Real again no doubt.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

Cambuur played 0-0 in an away match against the other promoted team, good result considering one of us got red carded. We got very Lucky a couple of times.

To show you how spoiled some Barcelona fans have become, some of my friends were complaining that 4-0 against Ajax wasn't enough and they wanted 7-0. What the f*ck *rolls eyes* 4-0 against AJAX is more than enough.

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Wow Micky, you always wrote an essay...

Anyway, Arteta is back to the team! Glad to see our vice captain trains with the squad. Because of that, I can see Wilshere or Flamini will be benched. And if Arteta plays, Ramsey will move a little bit to the front so he can help Özil with creating chances for Giroud. Talking about Giroud, Wenger says that he will have the best season. I kinda agree with Wenger, if he keeps scoring and making assist no doubt he will be a semi-world class player. But to be a world class player, Giroud needs to improve more.

Gloryus

Where's Wally?

Anyway, Arteta is back to the team! Glad to see our vice captain trains with the squad. Because of that, I can see Wilshere or Flamini will be benched. And if Arteta plays, Ramsey will move a little bit to the front so he can help Özil with creating chances for Giroud. Talking about Giroud, Wenger says that he will have the best season. I kinda agree with Wenger, if he keeps scoring and making assist no doubt he will be a semi-world class player. But to be a world class player, Giroud needs to improve more.

I'm also happy to see Arteta back but there's little chance he'll start against Stoke, he just returned from injury so I'm guessing he'll make a cameo appearance off the bench and ease him back into the starting line up probably at the expense of Flamini. Giroud needs to keep up his good form as well as Ramsey I hope!

Prediction for Manchester derby:

Manchester City 2-2 Manchester United

I'm also looking forward to PSG and Monaco, some match it will be!

Rayo 0-4 Barcelona full time, starring a Pedro hattrick, a Cesc Fabregas goal and a Victor Valdes penalty save. *Is pleased*

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Tomorrow's the game of the year for my team. PSV - Ajax starts at 4.30 PM local time. I'd say both teams are evenly matched. It'll either be a draw, or a small win for PSV.

Ajax will be hungry for a win after being soundly beaten at the Camp Nou, so that will be interesting.

EDIT: Today was also the first football match in 5 years that Barcelona had less possession than their opponent. The Barcelona that wooed the world with beautiful football and dominated the world with tiki taka, has died today.

Last edited:

Shiny Espeon0429

Man City fan here...

Think it'll be a bore draw tomorrow. Really hope it won't be but I think that both Pellegrini and Moyes will feel its a match they can't lose (A bit like Man U-Chelsea a few weeks ago) and when Moyes was Everton manager, their good record against us was usually due to a solid defense. So, I'm feeling like a 0-0. Honestly, I'd be delighted with a point given our recent league form, but the only thing I'm worried about is Rooney's recent upturn in form... Anyway, they were my two cents.

I'd prefer for Manchester United to win the derby today, personally. Rooney's on fire right now, all RVP needs is one chance, Kagawa's back in the team....United look good for the match. Hopefully it's going to be entertaining, above all.

Hey Micky!

Some results I didn't expect yesterday in the EPL, Southampton's win especially. I hope Liverpool's momentum doesn't stutter though. With City & United looking sketchy it could be the first season where we get a genuine multi-horse race to the title, rather than just two teams at it. Arsenal-Stoke is entertaining in the first half so far. Very impressed with Arsenal so far but their threadbare squad is already showing signs of exposure with Gnabary (who's having a good game so far) being drafted in for Walcott. When Xmas period comes around with all those games packed so tightly, I can see them really struggling.

I can't help myself sometimes :p