• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I've been going on the Fifa World Cup website/page, and I see a lot of people commenting about group G saying Germany and Ghana will pass. Overestimating Ghana and underestimating Portugal... Most of them are from the US, and they seem to think Portugal is easier than Ghana. Well they're in for a bad surprise.

Nightmareisalive

I've been going on the Fifa World Cup website/page, and I see a lot of people commenting about group G saying Germany and Ghana will pass. Overestimating Ghana and underestimating Portugal... Most of them are from the US, and they seem to think Portugal is easier than Ghana. Well they're in for a bad surprise.

The USA fans underestimating Ronaldo!!??!?! Well Ronaldo is going to have a field day if the USA team even show some of that underestimating their fans are having. Both Ghana and USA would do well to get a victory one another never mind beat a Portugal team with Ronaldo at his best.

Portugal are pretty sh*t, not expecting them to reach far in the World Cup. And no, I am not saying that because I'm a Barcelona fan or because I have a dislike for Portugal. Just look at their results in qualifying.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Portugal are pretty sh*t, not expecting them to reach far in the World Cup. And no, I am not saying that because I'm a Barcelona fan or because I have a dislike for Portugal. Just look at their results in qualifying.

You mean, how we killed Sweden? I'll let you know, Portugal never does well in the qualifying stage, but look we got 4th in world cup 2006, finals of euro 2004, quarter finals of euro 2008, 16th in the ww2010, semi finals of euro 2012 (and got to penalties against spain, the best team in the world, while italy lost 4-0). How can you say we're ****. We also got a great squad, Patricio, Bruno alves, pepe, joao pereira, coentrao, veloso, meireles, moutinho, nani, ronaldo and postiga/hugo almeida. All except for 2 or 3 of them play for top class teams. At least our games aren't the most boring on earth, pass-pass-pass-pass-pass like spain does. So you can suck a dick. Go insult some other country douche

Nothing personal against you ofc

Last edited by a moderator:

7 tyranitars

You mean, how we killed Sweden? I'll let you know, Portugal never does well in the qualifying stage, but look we got 4th in world cup 2006, finals of euro 2004, quarter finals of euro 2008, 16th in the ww2010, semi finals of euro 2012 (and got to penalties against spain, the best team in the world, while italy lost 4-0). How can you say we're ****. We also got a great squad, Patricio, Bruno alves, pepe, joao pereira, coentrao, veloso, meireles, moutinho, nani, ronaldo and postiga/hugo almeida. All except for 2 or 3 of them play for top class teams. At least our games aren't the most boring on earth, pass-pass-pass-pass-pass like spain does. So you can suck a dick. Go insult some other country douche

I agree, as Portugal is my countries angstgegner, we can't ever win from you guys! I will be happy to avoid them.

Mega Typhlosion

Look I'm Portuguese and he's right. We have good players but besides Ronaldo, Pepe and Moutinho none of them are top players. We have a strong 11 that still has severe flaws especially against weaker teams as the players are lazy and don't give it all playing for NT. We defend well thanks to the physical strength of the two center backs but our attack is non-existent. We all know the only reason Ronaldo scored 3 in Sweden is because Sweden were losing and Ronaldo is excellent in counter-attacking plays. In built-in play, we're very weak. We have a chance in the World Cup because we do have good players. But we won't win.

Aside of that, great weekend in England. Not sure now if I want Arsenal or Everton to win, but I guess it's best to let Arsenal go for the title and leave Everton behind.

Chelsea looks awesome. 6 goals against in two matches, feels great.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Look I'm Portuguese and he's right. We have good players but besides Ronaldo, Pepe and Moutinho none of them are top players. We have a strong 11 that still has severe flaws especially against weaker teams as the players are lazy and don't give it all playing for NT. We defend well thanks to the physical strength of the two center backs but our attack is non-existent. We all know the only reason Ronaldo scored 3 in Sweden is because Sweden were losing and Ronaldo is excellent in counter-attacking plays. In built-in play, we're very weak. We have a chance in the World Cup because we do have good players. But we won't win.

Coentrao not a top player? Meireles? Patricio (who was wanted by teams like man u)? Nani?

Mega Typhlosion

Coentrao not a top player? Meireles? Patricio (who was wanted by teams like man u)? Nani?

They're not world class, not even close. They're good but not THAT good. You can't expect to compete with Spain, Brazil, Germany with the same odds. You'll always be the underdog.

With the lack of investment in young players, you can expect to start missing WC and Euro finals as the quality is becoming lower and lower.

We Portuguese have the stupid idea that Portugal is the best team in the world and that we don't win because the world hates us. But we need to be realistic. We're not a top team. We're one step behind, like England.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
They're not world class, not even close. They're good but not THAT good. You can't expect to compete with Spain, Brazil, Germany with the same odds. You'll always be the underdog.

With the lack of investment in young players, you can expect to start missing WC and Euro finals as the quality is becoming lower and lower.

We Portuguese have the stupid idea that Portugal is the best team in the world and that we don't win because the world hates us. But we need to be realistic. We're not a top team. We're one step behind, like England.

We ARE a top team. Not top like Germany or Spain, but we're up there with Italy and Holland. We're 5th in the ranking for a reason. Coentrao, and Meireles at least are top class, and Nani when he plays well, he plays well. Like Ronaldo's free kicks, inconsistent but when they go in, they go in. If we weren't a top team, we wouldn't have made it to the semi finals of the euro with the same team we have at the moment. We wouldn't even have made it to the World Cup. True that portuguese teams don't use young players, but they're starting to do it more. Andre Almeida, Ivan Cavaleiro, Lica, a bunch of others in sporting. They're not bad. And we have a great coach. Portugal is a top team, sure our chances of winning the world cup are very small, but saying we're not a top team is not true

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
^ Nani lmao. Sorry, he just cracks me up.

Wow it's been a while, glad to see the thread still going strong! Did anyone see Everton vs Arsenal earlier today? What a great game it turned out to be, it only ended 1-1 but the game was a good show of two good teams. I wish we won it though but Arsenal are five points clear so that's still alright I guess!

dgarock

I saw one of the saddest images of my life here in the Brazilian Football Championship, the match between Atletico Paranaense and Vasco da Gama, part of the two twisted "supporters" did not fight, did a war, beatings, blood, strong images that do not match with football ... the saddest part is that it is not the first time, both here in Brazil and other countries in South America and Europe, scenes of war between supporters. It is very sad to see how little human life is valued, for a football match people fight sometimes to death. I can not understand it ...

Last edited:

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Went to Birmingham versus Middlesbrough on Saturday, an entertaining game that ended 2-2, and means I'm a third of the way through all the grounds in the football league. 31 down, 61 to go..

Not liking all these alleged match fixing allegations that are surfacing today.

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Arsenal 1-1 Everton

Well a little not nice to us. Özil opens up for Arsenal but Deulofeu equalises for Everton. And that was a tough game. Still 5pts clear from everyone though. Arsenal will play against Napoli in CL tomorrow, away from home. And we still need to face City and Chelsea next, tough games ahead.

EDIT: CL Results:

Man Utd 1-0 Shakhtar
Benfica 2-1 PSG
Sociedad 0-1 Leverkusen
Kobenhavn 0-2 Madrid
Bayern 2-3 Man City
Plzen 2-1 CSKA
Olympiacos 3-1 Anderlecht

And Gala-Juve match is delayed and will be played on Wed 14.00 GMT.

Last edited:
According to reports in AS Barcelona have ''defied'' Lionel Messi and refuse to negotiate a new contract with him.

Deliberately or otherwise Barça are playing with fire over Messi. Javier Faus, the club’s economic vice-president, said yesterday that he saw “no reason to improve” the striker’s current deal, given the club gave him an improved package recently. Such a statement is either a cold, calculated, direct challenge to the star or a mad rush of blood to the head.

Messi’s received at least three offers this summer to leave the club: PSG, Manchester City and Real Madrid. Leo said no to all of them, believing he would get a new deal at the start of 2014. More so when his agents discovered the financial manoeuvring on Neymar’s signing that made the Brazilian the highest paid player at the club, ahead of ‘La Pulga’.

Well yesterday Faus drove a coach and horses through Messi’s beliefs, ridiculing any idea of raising his wages and talking about him in public as “that man” whose deal “we increased”. The comments reached Argentina yesterday and were like a bomb going off in Messi’s camp.

Barcelona have begun to recognise that something’s not quite right with Messi and for the first time in a long while the possibility of the Argentinean leaving is being considered. Faus, in the same interview, denied any chance of that happening though: “While Sandro is president the chances of selling Messi are zero”.

Just a few hours later former executive Albert Perrin summed up what many at Barcelona are feeling: “I’m scared when they start saying Messi’s not going to leave. It worries me when they say that. It’s just like when they say they manager has the complete confidence of the board.

I don't know what game is going on here, but I hope this does not have a negative effect on Messi. I hope they know what they're doing.

Nightmareisalive

So Arsenal lost 6-3 to away to Man City. A bad result though from what I heard the ref of the game was horrible. About four of the city goals came from poor ref decisions and Arsenal had a penalty wrongly ruled out. Not much excuses for losing like that though if true it would put the game in a different light. A lot of bad performances from the Arsenal players too. Playing two big games in three days with a limited squad is really pushing it. Hopefully this week won't have that big a big deciding factor over Arsenal's season.

Barcelona 2-1 Villarreal, Neymar is in a purple patch atm, following up his hattrick against Celtic with a brace today.

Meanwhile in Pamplona, ten man Real Madrid scrape to a 2-2 draw with Osasuna. At one point Osasuna were 2-0 up...

Nightmareisalive

So just watched match of the day and finally saw the highlights to the arsenal/man city game. Really bad from the linesmen today. First goal came from a corner which shouldn't of been given. Negredo was offside when the the ball was chipped towards him. Kos had to head the ball out or else he would of scored and since he was offside already why hadn't the linesman have his flag up to signal it?

Their last goal was from a pen after Milner dived. Szczensy was going out for the ball and Milner could easily of dodged his leg but didn't the highlights even show Milner having zero contact with him. Never a penalty.

Then Arsenal had a pen not given. It hit the man city defenders knee before his arm though even though it hit his knee it was still going past him to Walcott who would of scored. His arm stopped that so it was a penalty. And both Giroud and Bendnter had goals ruled out for offside. Giroud was onside and hit the ball which went right int the net. The whistle already went at that point but even then I don't think any of the city players could of stopped it. Bender harder to decide but in the end I think he would be judged to be onside.