• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soccer Thread

ysmr97

Yeah any league can be discussed. People talk a lot more about the epl though because... well I don't know, more English people I guess

Don't worry I'm also a big Arsenal fan, just dont watch it as often because I need to sleep haha. The last game I watched was Arsenal v Chelsea. Good God, what a snore fest

Also, I highly doubt any of you care since you seem to be EPL exclusive, but the San Jose Earthquakes are unveiling their new Logo and Uniforms at their 40th anniversary celebration on January 30th. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to logos and kit designs, so I'm extremely excited to see what it looks like. I already like their current one

Last edited:

aurachomp74

Merengue
With January here, it seems that the Transfer Window is also open and, like always, there will be lots of speculation. Perhaps one that interests me most is Juan Mata and Chelsea. With limited playing time for such a world class player, I will be sad if he decides to leave the Blues. As a Chelsea fan, I hate to see him leave but the guy needs to play. Least he won the UCL during the ride.

Any thoughts?

ToeyJoey

The Count

abrar14

Statter Master
Liverpool are bossing it this year.... If Chelsea don't want Mata, he's always welcome at anfield.

aurachomp74

Merengue
Liverpool are bossing it this year.... If Chelsea don't want Mata, he's always welcome at anfield.
Suarez Mata and Sturridge. That's really intimidating to be honest. Liverpool has yet to beat a top 4 team like Arsenal Chelsea and City yet though. Guess we'll have to see

Nightmareisalive

Suarez Mata and Sturridge. That's really intimidating to be honest. Liverpool has yet to beat a top 4 team like Arsenal Chelsea and City yet though. Guess we'll have to see

I remember seeing a stat that said Suarez has only scored one goal against teams in the top 8 this season. Not that impressive. If Liverpool want top four he needs to change that or he can score as many goals he wants against all the other teams it wouldn't matter. The way the league is too get top four you need to beat every team there is not just the smaller teams you can win against.

Arsenal won today 2-0 against Sp*rs. A good win for the team and Sp*rs fans throwing things at Walcott as he was leaving the pitch Hopefully the FA will give a punishment to them since that is bang out of order. Anyway maybe pundits will stop praising Sp*rs the way they have over the last couple of years. Without Bale they are no good.

And Munich have signed lewandowski on a five year contract and will get him in the summer. He's free too....good business for Munich though the German league is looking more a one horse race more and more. Hopefully something will change soon.

ToeyJoey

The Count
I'm only well aware of how incredible he was at the 1966 World Cup to net 9 goals. Great player.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I'm only well aware of how incredible he was at the 1966 World Cup to net 9 goals. Great player.

4 against North Korea in the same game haha. He really was, he was runner up to Ballon D'or twice, and won it once. It's a shame to see such a great player go, hopefully the likes of Pele etc still have many years ahead of them :/

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Sup peeps.

Lewandowski is going to Bayern this summer which is a huge loss for Klopp. He already did the medical check at Bayern. Also, he's going for free transfer, Madrid offered £81m for him but Lewy chose to join Bayern.

Honda and Rami (loan) signed for Milan, Lacina Traore signed for Monaco.

ysmr97

So sad to hear the news about Eusebio :( Great footballer.

After already serving 5 days as mayor, I'm just waiting for Bill de Blasio to approve the NYCFCs stadium plans by the 30th >.<

Sad to hear about Eusebio, he was a great, with a phenomonal goalscoring record. Rest in peace.
Anyway, Im actually so annoyed that Lewandowski left Dortmund for Munich, we all sort of knew it would happen, but that doesnt lighten the burden for me at all. Munich cant keep going and poaching all of Dortmund's players, its not really fair. Dortmund are failing to mount a serious title challenge as it is, and news of losing one of their star men to their greatest rivals wouldnt help either, Klopp will need to bring in some reinforcements soon to avoid falling from one of europes elite to bundesliga also rans.
Now for my real rant. Manchester United have dropped out of the FA cup in the third round at the hands of Swansea. In a way, this has summed up our season. We arent gonna win anything. Sure theres the capital one cup, but City are also still there and i doubt United will be able to beat them. Also there is the Champions League tie with Olympiacos, and if we dont win that something really is wrong but to win the competition seems too big of an ask for our mediocore squad. Then we have the premier league, we are in a lowly 7th, and come May i can only hope we are AT LEAST 3 places higher. Who is at fault for all of these shortcomings i hear you ask? My answer is David Moyes, true he doesnt play, but he decides who does and so far he hasnt done a good job, changing the line-up everyweek. Im sorry to say, but i feel already,David Moyes should be relieved of whatever his duties actually are, because for me, hes just not the man for the job.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
I always say a manager should be given at least two seasons. With the case of Man Utd, we all know the farce that happened during the summer with the lack of signings, so for their sake they can only hope to get good signings in this time around. People are too gung ho in asking for manager sackings and demanding immediate short term success. I still think the sackings of Steve Clarke, Andre Villas-Boas and especially Malky Mackay were made at the wrong times, and that they should at least have seen out the season.

Surprisingly to say, other than Arsenal who have kept Wenger for so long despite a trophy drought, the best example of current stability is Liverpool, even though Rodgers has only been at the club for a season and a half. Last season was his first and it was definitely a transitional season - they got knocked out of the FA Cup to Oldham, the Europa League to Zenit, and oddly enough, the League Cup at home to Swansea, and they finished seventh. But now you can see this season they are much improved, challenging for the Champions League places and playing some really good football, and they have the most potent striker in the league currently. And even if they finish just outside Champions League places, you can clearly see improvements this season over last in Liverpool, it just takes time to gel everyone together but the payoff is good. You can't expect constant success every season.

The other good Premier League example currently is Newcastle. After a naff and troubled season last year they finished sixteenth, and a lot of clubs would have just cut the manager off considering the fifth placed finish the season before. But they kept the squad mostly the same and have rebounded just from not chopping and changing, and now they're challenging for the European places.

I agree with you that a manager should be given time but two years is too long. In two years a club can get relegated twice. But in those cases you mentioned I agree they were all a bit on the harsh side. This time last year that same United (without Fellaini :D) were first and 12 months on they are down in 7th. You could argue that everyone else has strengthened their squads and thats the reason united are where they are but at the end of the day it is Moyes' responsiblity to add to the squad. At the very most id give him to the end of the season to prove himself. Proving himself in my eyes is winning the Capital One cup and resurrecting their premier league campaign, but at the end of the day its not down to what i think.

ToeyJoey

The Count
United's squad was arguably worse last season, it's the I'm sure already discussed fear factor of Alex Ferguson and Old Trafford that has left the club and teams go there sensing they can win. Newcastle, Swansea yesterday. Makes me wonder if Mourinho had had a bit more attacking intent he could have thumped them earlier in the season...

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Well, today was also a pretty sad day. Eusebio had said before that his last wish after he died would be to go around the stadium (on the pitch that is), and that's what he did. Obviously in a car, he was driven for a quarter of it. Then they took the coffin and brought it to the middle of the pitch, on top of this gold platform I think, or what it was. Then Benfica's anthem played, and as he was taken back the Portuguese anthem. Finally, the last 3 quarters were driven, with Andrea Bocelli's Con Te Partiro played. The limusine drove very slowly, and the around 20 thousand fans in the stadium kept clapping and chanting his name (called him King Eusebio too), and sang several songs in honor of him. They also threw scarfs, flowers, everything at the limusine, and the security was picking what fell on the floor up, and put it back on the limusine. It was very emotional, so many people crying (including the coach and Benfica's president), even I was shedding a few tears, even though I never watched him play live. A very emotional good bye to the Black Panther, what a legend.

I guess Eusebio was the 4th King in the Three Kings Day.

article-2534038-1A72597800000578-495_634x428.jpg

Last edited:

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
It's sad to see such a footballing great like Eusebio pass away. It was a great tribute held of him at the Estadio da Luz. Rest in peace.

In other news, I'm gutted to hear Theo Walcott has reptured his ACL and is out for the next six months ending his season and missing the World Cup. He will be a big loss and it's a blow for club and country as Walcotts form was really picking up since starting agian siblings Arsenal lost to Man City. At least Oxlade-Chamberlain will be returning soon as well as Gnabry showing he can fill in too! Arsenal's hunt for a striker is now absolutely critical this month. Hope we get someone good!

ToeyJoey

The Count
It's a good job we have so many naturally right-sided players. If only we could develop left-sided ones like the Welsh can...