• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soft Resetting for Shinies

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
How do you keep track of how many times you SR?? Some of you have big numbers there!

It's a personal decision to keep track. It's easier to keep track with MMing but a pen and paper is more than enough to get it done.

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
I keep track in my head although I am almost certain it isn't the exact number. Also a way I tested that also kind of works(more for a rough estimate) is finding how long it takes to do 1 SR and then recording it and then timing yourself the whole time you SR. Then take the amount of time u SRed and divide it by the time it takes for 1 SR and you should have an alright estimate.

Sectorbob

The Spook
How do you keep track of how many times you SR?? Some of you have big numbers there!

I have a Droid so I use a free app called TapCounter. It is as easy as it sounds I 'tap' for every reset.

My first and only SR for a Shiny succeeded yesterday. After roughly 1876 SRs a loverly golden Uxie appeared on my screen. I basically flipped a ****. I was so excited... I wooped and cheered and basically just stared at it's beauty for a while... called my fiancee to tell her (and she, being as nice as she is, congratulated me!) I attempted to catch it with premier balls, but as all of Uxie's moves were depleting, I just chucked my ace-in-the-hole, masterball.

It's my first ever caught shiny. I am quite excited. :)

Aquanova

I have an app on my Mac called Stickies, its on this thing called the Dashboard and I just Type how many I have and the Pokemon's name on the " sticky note". I like keeping track of the SRs its just a thing I have. Im SRing Ho-oh in Soul Silver right now. Ive got 688 SRs. I really hope to get it soon because i want to go back and SR Extremespeed Dratini too and Mesprit in Diamond, both of which I gave up on.

Jefko

almost completed Dex
I'm SRing for a shiny starter in HG right now hoping for tododile or chikorita. It's taking pretty long(as far as Johto starter hunts go). I already hit 3900 SRs so 11700 starters seen... But after I get my shiny starter I'll probably SR for sudowoodo.

i think you might have made a mistake, you say you have sred 3900 times so that you have seen 11700 starters....there is your problem..
when you pick a pokeball...it is not the picture(pokemon) that is shiny, but the pokemon itself...so after choosing your pokemon of choice...just click passed all the text and event story until you can see your pokemon either in battle or by going to the summary in the menu...only then can you see if the pokemon is shiny or not...

hope this helps..and i hope you didnt do it all for nothing
EDIT: by the way, dont forget to save before choosing your pokemon, saves so much time...

Last edited:
^ That's wrong, in HGSS, the pokemon will appear shiny in the selection screen.
http://i31.*******.com/2le42o6.png
(Picture from Ellie :3)
Next time, try to check your facts instead of giving out false info?
As for counting, I use the Calculator app on my Mac :V

Sectorbob

The Spook

Ahhh, myths vs. facts... what to believe. :p
maybe next time you could try to be a little nicer? :) There's no reason to be condescending, he might be wrong, but you have been too. :p

Typhlosionvsworld

Y u mad bro?
Save before whatever you're SRing for, and soft reset during the battle - when you see that the Pokemon isn't shiny (*L+R+START+SELECT, btw).
The legendary overworld sprite you see before you 'talk' to it will never appear as shiny, so you're going to have to start the battle to check.

Ok. And that automatically gives you another shot when you restart the game?

Jefko

almost completed Dex

dagnabbit....thought i could help..i really didnt know this....then i was the one who did it al wrong....i apoligize

baronneo

So when you have an interactable Pokemon, all you have to do is save before you talk to it, and keep SRing until it's shiny?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
People that reset for Shines are lame. They should be rare things you get and feel happy you got them

Sorry, but I disagree there. I've been fortunate to have run into shinies randomly and have Sr'd for them. And I consider them both rare and I'm glad to have gotten them.

Sr'd for Rayquaza and Suicune and I'm very happy to have run into them shiny.

Tried to do that for Articuno, but I haven't had any luck just yet.

Flydreigon

OM NOM NOM...
I've been wondering, is it possible to get both Raikou and Entei shiny on HeartGold without both of them being shiny at once? I want to know because when I get HeartGold I'm going to try and get all interactable pokemon shiny. (Yes I know it will take forever).

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
I've been wondering, is it possible to get both Raikou and Entei shiny on HeartGold without both of them being shiny at once? I want to know because when I get HeartGold I'm going to try and get all interactable pokemon shiny. (Yes I know it will take forever).

Don't they respawn when they are defeated? Cause then you could just get 1 shiny and kill the other and it would respawn. I'm not quite sure though.

So anyway I am probly going to hit 5000 for a johto starter. Really want tododile or chikorita.

Flydreigon

OM NOM NOM...
Don't they respawn when they are defeated? Cause then you could just get 1 shiny and kill the other and it would respawn. I'm not quite sure though.

So anyway I am probly going to hit 5000 for a johto starter. Really want tododile or chikorita.

If that's true then that makes feel better! I thought I had to hope for both of them to be shiny. That would take forever if I had to hope for both of them to be shiny! GL on your starter reset. When I get HeartGold I'm going to reset till I get any shiny. I don't care which.

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
If that's true then that makes feel better! I thought I had to hope for both of them to be shiny. That would take forever if I had to hope for both of them to be shiny! GL on your starter reset. When I get HeartGold I'm going to reset till I get any shiny. I don't care which.

Yeah thanks good luck to you too! I guess I won't care who shines really but I'd really like chikorita or totodile to shine. If it's cyndaquil I'll still move on to sudowoodo though. Also goin for lapras and ho-oh afterwards. I'm not sure that I could do the beasts though. And plus I already have the crown beasts.

MegaMew2

5th Gen still sucks.
I'm currently SRing for a shiny Cyndaquil on SS...
No progress yet. -_-
But if one of the starterd are shiny and it isn't Cyndaquil, then I'll take that one.
...Even if it's Chikorita...