• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter

Skylander Sylveon

Top Coordinator
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter, originally released in Japan as Soratorobo -Sore Kara Kōda e- (ソラトロボ -それからCODAへ- lit. Solatorobo: And Then, to CODA?, with "Solatorobo" being Japanese for "Sky and Robot") is an action role-playing video game developed by CyberConnect2 for the Nintendo DS. Originally in released Japan by Namco Bandai Games in October 2010, an English version was later made available by Nintendo for Europe in July 2011 and Australia the following November, along with a North American release in September 2011 by Xseed Games. It is the spiritual sequel to Tail Concerto, and, like its predecessor, features artwork and character designs by manga artist Nobuteru Yūki, and music by Chikayo Fukuda and Seizo Nakata. The game includes animated cutscenes produced by animation studio Madhouse, as well as vocal themes by performed Tomoyo Mitani.
Set in a steampunk fantasy world made up of floating sky islands populated by anthropomorphic dogs and cats, the game focuses on a canine freelance adventurer named Red Savarin who pilots a flying mecha. On a seemingly ordinary task to obtain a lost pendant, he encounters a mysterious young cat-person named Elh, and becomes involved in a series of events that reveal the hidden truth of the origin of his world and the ones who live in it.

Did you play this? Did you enjoy it? What was your overall opinion?

Discuss! ;406;​

MaxPwn

I saw some stuff about Solatorobo but I didn't play it, although I saw the intro video and I thought the mecha designs were pretty cool, and then I saw the characters...yeeeaaah, just no. Making everyone of your characters furries does not make good character designs. Aside from that I heard it was pretty ambitious but floundered in its execution.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
I was about to make a thread about obscure video games, mentioning Solatorobo in the OP, like a similar thread I made on another website. Then I noticed this. SOMEBODY ELSE ON SEREBII HAS PLAYED SOLATOROBO?! I wasn't turned off by the furries personally, but I can understand why a lot of people were, since apparently there's some really creepy furry art out there.

Also, "And Then to CODA" doesn't really make sense to me. "And then" doesn't really make sense on its own. Actually, I think they use that phrase in the Japanese version of FMA03 in episode 3. *flies to FUNimation's YouTube channel*

Last edited:

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
Other people on here have played this? Awesome.

While I can say the game was very heavy with story, it was kinda easy overall...and the combat was a little bit on the stale side, though it got a bit better after a certain point...

Overall, this game is awesome, and is definitely at least worth considering for purchase.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Ah, Solatorobo. Also known as picking up and throwing stuff: the game. :V

I got it because it was going cheap ($13 is cheap here for a decent DS game), in part on recommendation from a friend. It was fun overall. I think Sable-Xeno hit the nail on the head - it's better with story than with providing a difficulty (although boss rush is fun! And the very last part of the game can be a challenge too). Hint - hydrolics/speed and then attack imo are the more worthwhile stats to invest in.

But imo the really impressive thing about Solatorobo is the world building effort put into it (complete with fake histories, cultures of the characters, etc). This is a game that took something like 10 years to make because the company decided to create the world in detail. And it really does show in the game, even if so much stuff is never focused upon. It's something of a work of art in that sense, and there's a bunch of books documenting all the work they did I believe into that.

So from that perspective it's an interesting game, and really, if it's as cheap to pick up for you as it was for me, then just go and try it out, you really could do worse.

I wasn't turned off by the furries personally, but I can understand why a lot of people were, since apparently there's some really creepy furry art out there.
I guess, but the advice is: avoid the fanart, or if you must know how to search safely. =p (Same goes for other fandoms like Star Fox (it didn't start out with a hate because 'furries'), or heck, even Pokemon). The game is innocent enough (as said, it's more about the story and walking/flying about in mechas after all), if anyone is actually worried about that.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
I saw rule 34 fanart for the first time ever today... it was of a gym leader from Pokémon RS, or something. o_O Gee, I thought mature content was automatically filtered off for people who weren't logged into Tumblr, like on deviantART. (I find dA terrifying for other reasons, but that's another story) /off-topic

If I had to say there was anything I didn't like about this game... the flying sections were fun, but we didn't get to do them much. D= Also, how CC2 announced a sequel a while back, before I even played this game, but we don't have any more info on it. I was hoping the mystery 3DS game would be Sola2robo, but at the same time, I'm glad it wasn't, because imagine what uproar it would cause in the Majora's Mask internet subfandom... ("Instead of MM3D, we got [CENSORED] furries?!") I get that the mystery 3DS game didn't turn out to be MM3D, but still.

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
Well, actually, Solatorobo DID get a sequel...Something called Little Tail Story, but it's not really connected to Solatorobo in any way Plot-wise. It also came out exclusively on iOS in Japan a few months ago, though I've found virtually NO information on it, aside from having Red (and a few other Solatorobo-inspired outfits) and .Hack stuff as DLC.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Well, actually, Solatorobo DID get a sequel...Something called Little Tail Story, but it's not really connected to Solatorobo in any way Plot-wise. It also came out exclusively on iOS in Japan a few months ago, though I've found virtually NO information on it, aside from having Red (and a few other Solatorobo-inspired outfits) and .Hack stuff as DLC.
Oh yeah... I've heard of that... I saw a trailer for it ages ago, but even though I knew it was LTB, it never occurred to me that it could be Solatorobo 2...

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
Well, it really isn't a sequel, so much another game in the Little Tail franchise. Kinda like how the only connection between Solatorobo and Little Tail Concerto seems to be having characters from the first game have proper minor parts in the story. Still, it was announced soon after they expressed interest in making a sequel, so I guess that's what they meant. (also, the reason it was made for iOS was supposedly because they wanted the franchise to reach a wider audience. Considering the franchises' prior...niche-ness, I wouldn't blame them. Hopefully, they make mor games in the series, give us a proper sequel, or at least translate the game for other countries to experience.

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
Oh god, Solatorobo. I logged on to see if there was any talk about Trails in the Sky since the PC version came out a few days ago, and man; I'm surprised that a thread like this is so recent!

Definitely love the world building, and the music, and the gameplay is decent too (pretty much the same reasons why I like TitS as well, though that has good gameplay instead of just decent...)

I've been tempted to pick up an artbook or THE PERFECT cd that CC2 is selling on their amazon storefront. Really tempted...

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
Hold the phone:Trails in the Sky? I've never heard of it, but it sounds like it has a similair underrated feel to it, much like Solatorobo (and Silent Bomber, for that matter...). Mind getting into that more? I mean, I'm unsure what this has to do with Solatorobo, but It's made by X-Seed, so that's peaked my interest...

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Trails in the Sky? To YouTube!

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
Hold the phone:Trails in the Sky? I've never heard of it, but it sounds like it has a similair underrated feel to it, much like Solatorobo (and Silent Bomber, for that matter...). Mind getting into that more? I mean, I'm unsure what this has to do with Solatorobo, but It's made by X-Seed, so that's peaked my interest...

Trails in the Sky? To YouTube!

It's part of the kiseki series, the latest generation of The Legend of Heroes games. These games specifically are all connected to a larger over-arching world, that really does feel alive sometimes. A good example is this; every person you meet will recognize you, and vice-versa, for the rest of the story. That guy you got a rare mushroom for in the prologue? He'll remember you if you do the sidequest that has to do with him in chapter 2. Did you find that hidden sidequest for the lighthouse guard? He'll recognize you later. Did you clear out that berserk monster near the woodland towns mine? A fellow bracer will comment on it later on in the main story if you did. Almost every character will have something new to say after every event.

The attention to detail is fantastic, and the world-building far surpasses even solatorobo's... the music is wonderful, the art style is pleasing, and the actual story is full of some very strong scenes. The gameplay is a nice mix of traditional turn-based combat and grid-based combat, that really has some nice nuances to it.

The first game, the one that's out on Steam/GOG/PSN right now is a very slowburner, but it sets itself up for the game that is being localized later this year or early next year, and even then the game is fantastic on it's own.

Here; how about some music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMtehyhK-Pg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITpM7WAB14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdNf7r1e6vA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbziZyT8iLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODjj64QFV2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_np4Gf9THv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bekkP37HcC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGQBJzJGdY

Last edited:

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
Okay, that does sound interesting...I should give it a look when I get the chance. Thanks for the info!

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
Okay, that does sound interesting...I should give it a look when I get the chance. Thanks for the info!

Well, I don't know how you feel about PC gaming; but it just released and is 15% off on GOG and Steam right now. That's $17, and I've already put 17 hours into the PC version since it came out on the 29th...

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
Well, to be honest, I've never gotten into PC gaming, for...reasons, but if I ever did get into it, I'd be sure to check this game out.

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
Hmm...If it's on Vita, I may think about getting one...Though, nothing on it intrigues me, aside from Sly Cooper, and maybe some other stuff. Still, something to consider.

Last edited:

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
Hmm...If it's on Vita, I may think about getting one...Though, nothing on it intrigues me, aside from Sly Cooper, and maybe some other stuff. Still, something to consider.

Yeah, the last couple of titles have actually been Vita exclusive in japan, and have only gotten PC versions after the fact.

I can personally vouch for the Vita, especially if you're an XSEED fan; or a fan of japanese titles in particular.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
What does that game have anything to do with Solatorobo, though? =/