1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Solid As A Solrock (376)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Advanced Battle' started by Serebii, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Wierdo

Wierdo Guest

I don't think it was the first time that any of Ash's pokemon used Double Team. I'm pretty sure that he told Pikachu to use Double team in Team Rocket's van in the episode when Ash first meets Richie.

As for the Golden Swellow part, my theory is that the energy was channelled through Swellow to increase his attack power. Think of it as an "electrical Airial Ace."

EDIT: Never mind, that was an agility.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2004
  2. I just saw this episode and it was quite good, the golden thing was a little out there but it was okay. I think that Ash could of come up with a more realistic strategy though....
    At least Team Rocket didn't lose straight away! Lets be thankful for that!!

3. Chris

Chris Old Coot

Hm, finally saw this episode and I now understand the "Golden Pokémon" thing. It wasn't really a powerup of any sort. They simply had an aura of electricity flowing around the two which ended up having an added effect to their attacks (hence the explosions caused from Aerial Ace and Iron Tail). Because of the electricity flowing with the attacks, it had a more harmful effect on Lunatone and Solrock.

Think of it like this. You take an iron rod and beat a piece of wood with it. Then heat up the rod with fire then hit the wood again. It's gonna be more destructive against the wood cause not only is it hitting the wood, but also burning it. Same case can be said here only replace fire with electricity. >_>

4. Geodude

Geodude Well-Known Member

Completely and totally false.

5. Chris

Chris Old Coot

That's not what Winona and Tate/Liza said when they saw Swellow take Electric attacks without being harmed. >_>; At the very least, it does some damage. But it's not very effective on Swellow like it would be on any ordinary Flying-type.

6. V Faction

V Faction www.faction.com

Hence why Geodude said "Completely and totally false" when responding to the poster's statement.

7. Pokemon Fan

Pokemon Fan Knuckle Trainer

Ah, I see. Hopefully this explanation will get out a bit and people will hate this gym battle less.

It seems to really be a genius move in some respects. Lunatone and Solrock were using Reflect/Light Screen right? Reflect even in the anime seems to mainly work well against what are Attack stat based moves rather than Special Attack based moves (the anime has broken these rules but also applied them at other times) and Light Screen is the opposite.

By coating Swellow and Pikachu with an electrical aura, aside from the effect you mentioned, could it be that this aura effectively made their attacks Attack and Special Attack-based at the same time? If so, this would be the reason their opponent's Light Screen or Reflect broke so easily. Since each shield is for only certain attacks, it couldn't withstand both at the same time.

Also, it is possible the electric aura protected them some from damage, hence how they were able to plow through Lunatone and Solrock's attacks. Remember how when it was using Charge, Wattson's Manectric back in Mauville was able to block energy attacks with its electric aura.

Suddenly this gym battle makes more sense. Ash wasn't powering up Swellow and Pikachu, he merely gave them a different way to attack. Combining physical (Iron Tail, Aerial Ace) with elemental (Electric type aura) is something no Pokemon could defend against I bet.

8. Tate+Liza

Tate+Liza Guest

I think they will since he always beat us in one hit!

9. Chris

Chris Old Coot

Glad to have shined some light on the Gym Battle. ^^ I was one of the few who thought the outcome was bad until I actually saw the episode and was able to figure it out (I think they failed to explain what was going on in the episode, which is why everyone got upset over this "power up").

Now that I look at it, it's these kind of strategies that I love about the anime battles. I believe the reasoning Reflect and Light Screen broke is because the attacks used were boosted with an Electric effect that would pretty much destroy the barriers from the overwhelming power from them. It's quite possible that because of the electricity, Reflect broke from the electricity and Light Screen broke from the physical attack. Couldn't handle the switch of offenses.

10. Kingler

Kingler Guest

Wow.. Ash needs some strategy help. Pikachu and Swellow against two Ground. Then again, this is the Anime and Pikachu is all-powerful for some unknown reason.

11. Pokemon Fan

Pokemon Fan Knuckle Trainer

Did you read a single one of the above replies? I really don't see the point of replying to a topic when one does little more than read the first post or simply the title of the topic. It only makes one look bad.

Solrock and Lunatone are NOT Ground types. They are Rock/Psychic types...

And Pikachu is not all-powerful in the anime, it's simply unusually strong for a Pikachu...

12. suavesky

suavesky Guest

ahhh yes lunatone and solrock what a deadily combanation

NOOOOOOOOOOOT

13. Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior Well-Known Member

it was a good gym battle, the whole 'golden look' was just rubbish and kiddy. reminded me of super sonic!
    Super Pikachu!

classical thing though, half way through battle TR intrude, steal GL's pokes, they beat TR and finish the battle.

what is on tommorow? Barboach ep or Drake ep? we will never know... (until tommorow)

14. ♥Princess Ketchum♥

♥Princess Ketchum♥ #1 Ash Satoshi Lover

i think it was great XD 10/10

15. Conan-the-3rd

Conan-the-3rd Mermaid Hunter

I dunno about the rest of you, but team rocket singing opera killed the heck out of me.

16. This is a pretty good one.I loved the music when they got charged up by the thunder attack

17. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby The magic of Pokemon

Just a few more hours until it comes on here...::waves 'GO ASH!' flag::

18. Judai Yuki

Judai Yuki Banned

lol less than an hour and a half

19. V Faction

V Faction www.faction.com

Okay, screw Deus Ex Machina wins, Movie 6 [oh snapzors I meant 5th] Music FOR THE ULTIMATE WIN.

A much more satisfying episode, once you see it in person.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  20. XD, TR's opera was hilarious. Best part of the epi, IMO.

Ash won way too quickly, IMO. He only tried two or three combos and then beat them. If TR hadn't shown up(taboo subject ._.), then we'd would've had a nice long battle with the two sides formulating new strategies. Oh well.

The animation was really good in this episode, I thought.

The win seemed rather cheap to me. I understand how the thunder helped them win the battle, but I don't know how they absorbed the thunder in the first place. Just unrealistic to me.

LOL Pikaponed. I always wondered where that picture of it blasted into the rock came from XD

TR actually did quite well in this episode, which I liked. I do wish they'd saved it for a different episode, though, because this episode definitely needed more focus on the battle itself.

Overall rating:
    7.8 out of 10
    Decent, but when it's an all-important Gym Battle, decent just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

~*CB*~
    The 8th Champion