1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Solid As A Solrock (376)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Advanced Battle' started by Serebii, Oct 23, 2004.

1. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby The magic of Pokemon

Here's my review of "Solid as a Solrock!"...these are mental notes of mine I kept while I watched:

--Here we go!
    --Oh, I'm unbeatable!
    --I can do without the "Newvember' jingle, thanks...
    --'Bout time...
    --The arena looks beautiful!
    --Liza reminds me of Sailor Moon, and Tate of Sonic!
    --Now Ash knows how I feel...
    --Heads up, Pikachu!
    --Pika-pancake!
    --Meanwhile, with Team Rocket...
    --Chibi Giovanni's cute...
    --Team Rocket can't sing...
    --There's no way I'll remember the mecha's name!
    --Hurry, Ash!
    --Good going, Ash!
    --See ya, Team Rocket!
    --Trainer's Choice time...Not a pure Fighting type? Blaziken, since it's part Fire.
    --Can we please stop the Newvember jingle???
    --Yeah, I was right! Blaziken sounds weird...
    --Go Ash! ::waves flag::
    --Golden Pikachu and Swellow! Neat!
    --Kickin' butt!
    --Yay! Ash won!
    --Yeah, I got the Mind Badge!
    --The end...can't wait for next week!

2. OK... that was weird.

The Good:
    • TR's motto was the best motto variation in a while. Hit the high note, James!
    • Meowth fantasy also had its musical upbringings.
    • Trainer's choice seems to be on a winning streak. (Question: Which Pokémon is not pure Fighting: Mahkuhita, Machamp, or Blaziken? TC's answer: Blaziken.)
    • Yay Double Battle!
    • ASH is paralized! He may not be able to hug his POKéMON!

The Bad:
    • Almost half the episode was wasted on beating TR.
    • It never explianed HOW Swellow & Pikachu could absorb Thunder to become even more uber.

Seeing as the Barboach episode is now banned worldwide, no.

Next Episode in the US (and UK) : Vanity Affair!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  3. V Faction

V Faction www.faction.com

You fool! You foolish fool! Blaziken is the epitome of cool-sounding-ness.

4. RandomCharizard

RandomCharizard i hatez pokemonz

OH SNAP!PIKAPOWNED WINS THIS EPISODE,about time that rat gets to feel what TR does in every episode :0.Full Golden Pokemon. Episode rating: 9/10 hello rushed
    win!

5. Geki

Geki Guest

It was an awesome gym battle, one of my favorites in Hoenn. Swellow and Pikachu worked together great, and so did Solrock and Lunatone.

5/5

6. WaterDragon trainer

WaterDragon trainer Freak Like Me

IMO, this episode was pretty good. The part with Pikachu and Swellow turning gold was awesome! Just a little question, but couldn't Ash's Swellow use Steel Wing against Lunatone+Solrock? Afterall, any pokemon with wings could know steel wing.

7. Geodude

Geodude Well-Known Member

Maybe because it doesn't know Steel Wing? -_-

8. Medea

Medea Excalibur

I've said it before and I will say it again, I'm not a big fan of gym battles (not for the last few years atleast). But this is another acception! I actually liked this episode and I liked seeing another gym battle being a double battle. It was worth sitting through Coconut Fred singing "NEWvember" over and over *wants to throw the TV out the window*

Speaking of singing, I was happy to hear Jessie and James singing in this episode. And more importantly, their singing voices don't suck. Not like Brock in Lights Camerupt Action!

9. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Everything about this episode screamed AG quality. Excellent animation, great battle scenes, and even TR was funny this time around!

The Giovanni daydream this time was hilarious, and TR's giant robot was actually a real threat for once. TR also had a lot of funny dialouge in this episode, Jessie/James singing, Meowth's extra long name for the robot, and Jessie's "You are so fired!" to Meowth.

I really liked those planets in the Gym, very surreal. This is why I love AG Ash, he thinks of much better strategies than he ever did back in the old series.

Swellow is definitely a tank, able to resist multiple Ice and Solarbeams and even Thunder! The Pikachu/Swellow powerup with electric armor was definitely not a cop out like some people were whining when this episode aired in Japan, it was a very cool twist and something that is entirely plausible.

Great animation, excellent battles scenes, Team Rocket actually being funny, great strategy from Ash (Loved how he said, "This 7th badge is mine!" in a mature voice), and even the Traincers Choice was very good in this episode.

One of the best Gym battles of Hoenn.

10. The planets were 3D.

Eh,still watching the ep. so I'll tell you about it later.

11. Poliwhirl

Poliwhirl Well-Known Member

it was a really stupid episode, because when they turned gold thats just cheating!!

12. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

It's not really cheating. Ash didn't use some outside force to win the battle.

He simply used nature to give protective armor to Swellow and Pikachu.

In the anime you're allowed to use ANYTHING in the battle field to your advantage. Ash simply use electricity. There is no difference.

13. MaskedManAbsolkid

MaskedManAbsolkid Well-Known Member

Wrong. The UK are past that. We got the Claydol eppy last.

BTW, what were the planets for again?

14. OMG TR was hilarious.

15. jolteonjak

jolteonjak *swoons for Noland*

Thank you for explaining it better! God knows Brock didn't come through this time around...

Its a great strategy, I'll give Ash that. But I can't help but kinda agree with those who said its cheap. I guess its a good thing the writers decided to give Swellow an insanely high Special Defense and Hit Points. lol

16. Watched the whole ep now.

O.M.G.

Golden Pika/Swellow attacking,was badass.

And the music was great! (especially during the Golden Swellow part)

And 4kids got Trainer's choice right =O

17. Just saying, I'm surprised that 4Kids let Emovanni into the fantasy. Seems rather pessimistic, and prime material for one of 4Kids' stupid, unnecessary edits. Oh well, pleasant surprise there.

~*CB*~
    The 8th Champion

18. S.Suikun

S.Suikun Thank you, SPPf! :)

This episode was great until this message popped up on my TV:

"A MANDATORY STATION TEST IS IN EFFECT FROM 9:20 AM UNTIL 9:40 AM. PLEASE TURN TO CHANNEL 8 FOR DETAILS"
    *flips to Channel 8*
    *gets same message*

Ya know, you could have at least apologized for any inconvenience, *******s. I saw up to the part where Swellow got supercharged, and dang, that thing can take a lot of abuse. TR's mecha wasn't half-assed this time, either, although the battle interruption brought back my one detested aspect about Kanto.

19. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby The magic of Pokemon

Coconut Fred was the main reason they invented the MUTE button...

Back on topic: With Team Rocket singing and all, I was halfway expecting them to sing the motto to the tune of "Largo al Factorum"...

20. Silver Ryu

Silver Ryu ~Aqua Dragon~

Totally agreed. That was so annoying. Anyway...

...And THAT'S why you don't buy mechas off the Internet! XD This was a pretty good episode. Nothing extra-special, though. Why do Team Rocket have to interupt gym battles! -_-;; It's really pointless.

For some reason, the Pika&Swellow thing had me thinking Super Sonic. 0_o

Hey FlamingRuby, I've tried the mental notes thing for the reviews, I've just never actually posted them. (I write comments on Post-Its)

And has anyone else noticed that the Mind Badge looks a lot like the Soul Badge?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005