1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Solid As A Solrock (376)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Advanced Battle' started by Serebii, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Kamex

Kamex Team Rocket's rockin

Whoo, gym battle episode.

Team Rocket sang to the tune of the music. Cool. And I liked the Meowth fantasy. No entertainment beats watching chibi Giovanni dance in his debonair blue suit. And that machine was awesome, even though it had that one flaw that cost them the steal.

Do Tate & Liza fight in their battles all the time? I don't see how the one time they argued with eachother had to be when Ash arrived.

My main complaint is that Tate & Liza weren't psychic. Seriously, that would have made a VERY interesting battle. They'd know exactly what eachother was thinking, complete eachother's sentences, just like in the games. They could have even added a mindreading of Ash's thoughts as icing on the cake. But no, they had to take the whole deal out...

Wait, I have one more semi-complaint:

Meh... it was new and interesting, I'll give you that. But it I have to say, it was somewhat a cheap way of getting Ash to win. It wasn't quite as plausible as it should have been. I mean come on, Golden Armor of Thunder? How is electricity going to serve as armor? Sounds kinda meh-ish to me.

But I admit, Pikachu and Swellow looked cool with the armor on, and Swellow diving through the air with the electricity flowing a bit behind it was amazing.

This episode deserves a... *sighs* I guess I guess I'll start lightening up and give this an 8/10, too. o_O

2. S.Suikun

S.Suikun Thank you, SPPf! :)

Well, it was the first time it's happened since Fuschia (although technically you could count Blackthorn).

3. Pokemon Fan

Pokemon Fan Knuckle Trainer

My main theory is that the electricity wasn't armor in the sense of being like the armor on a tank, but more like an energy field that repelled other energy. That is, the electrical energy coursing along the surface of their bodies could have semi-nullified other energy attacks like Ice Beam, causing that energy to pass to each side of them instead of penetrating their bodies. The energy coming out of their bodies would have literally pushed other energy aside. Now I doubt real electrcity can do that but it was an interesting idea nonetheless, and made for an awesome climax to the battle (I loved the explosive effects from the impact attacks).

Then to smash through Light Screen it also had the effect of combining a physical attack with an energy one (Light Screen couldn't deal with both at the same time and if you go by the games can only block energy/special attacks)

The animation was great and I loved how sweet Ash sounded when he was about to hug Swellow, then later Swellow gave the cutest smile.

4. V Faction

V Faction www.faction.com

If the writers gave as much thought and depth into explanation as you do, PF, I'd say we'd have one heckava show on our hands.

[spoil]Start working on the 'Munchlax and Vileplume using Solarbeam fast and so often at night' one.[/spoil]

5. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby The magic of Pokemon

Yeah...I can just picture Brock giving such an explanation...

6. WaterDragon trainer

WaterDragon trainer Freak Like Me

I agree with you Blue Pokemon Master! Ash's gym battle would definitely be alot more interesting if Liza+Tate could read each other's minds(as well as Ash's mind). That would be a more challenging gym battle for Ash.

7. Silver Ryu

Silver Ryu ~Aqua Dragon~

What I meant is why are they even in gym episodes.

I know! They completely left that out! It really bugged me.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  8. Geodude

Geodude Well-Known Member

When Brock said that Pikachu and Swellow were using the Thunder as armor, that reminded me of how some characters in X-Men Legends can make armor for themselves out of whatever element they control (Steel for Colossus, Ice for Iceman, etc). The armor both raises their defenses and adds extra power to their attacks for a time, and that's exactly what happened in this episode. That'd be cool if something similar could be implemented as a move in D/P.

9. V Faction

V Faction www.faction.com

That's very true and a good example, Geodude. It's definitely a little harder to visualize with a more unstable non-physical element, like Electricity in this case, compared to Steel or Ice, but I do think they pulled it off. Now... to never to it again. :p

And, as far as current attacks go, Acid Armor might be the closest to what you're pondering. But so far they haven't been too keen on explaining that one ('side from, I think, Vaporeon all the way back in Kanto).

10. Dr. Sun

Dr. Sun Guest

Despite the excellent explanations provided here, I still have to agree with most everyone else and agree that the electric-armor thing is too deus ex machina for my tastes. I think Ash could still have used the trick to his advantage, but in a different way:

What if Ash, after seeing the way Lunatone's Light Screen deflected Pikachu's electricity at the gathering clouds, simply ordered Pikachu to turn up the juice and keep firing? The clouds would react to the lightning, and strike down on the battlefield.

Normally, Swellow and Pikachu would be fried, but Ash ordered Swellow to use Mirror Move and copy Lunatone's Light Screen, pointing it straight up at the sky to deflect the lightning coming down from above. Solrock and Lunatone, OTOH, would have a most shocking experience, since Lunatone's Light Screen was directed straight ahead at Pikachu, not at the lightning bolts coming down from the sky.

Once Solrock and Lunatone were electrocuted, they'd both be stunned by the attack and their defences would be down. Then Ash would order Pikachu and Swellow to attack with Aerial Ace and Iron Tail before the cosmic pokemon could recover, finishing Solrock and Lunatone off.

I think that would have been a much better way to do it. Ash would still use his brains to outsmart his foes, Pikachu and Swellow would each contribute to the victory, and a really obscure move would get some glory. And there'd be no weird cop-out victory, either.

11. Ralts Master

Ralts Master Knight of White Eye

Because the Japanese have to stick them in every episode whether there's a reason for them to be there or not. I don't like it either...

12. Rufinito18

Rufinito18 mE Entertainment

i just saw it...it was a little pushed...over the limits of beliavable

13. Pokemon Fan

Or people would complain about it being overly detailed... ^_^

[SPOIL]Well I see ti as being one or a combination of three things:

1. Stars surely emit solar energy, after all, the sun itself is a star.

2. The Pokemon could have stored up solar energy from previous times outside their Poke Balls, enabling them to use the move more quickly and powerfully. We saw in the Tate and Liza episodes that a Pokemon can rapidly fire Solarbeam but that it won't be quite as strong if not given the full time to charge (thus Lunatone's Ice Beam was able to overpower it).

3. The writers are forgotful and implement or ignore game rules depending on what is convenient for them.[/SPOIL]

On some anime (like "Rahxephon") and other shows, even things like sound can be used as armor. With non solid things like that it's all about the user being able to control the forces exerted, hence in Pokemon we have Charizard actually containing a Hyper Beam inside its Fire Spin.

14. Jirachi1

Jirachi1 Guest

I saw this for the first time Saturday. I really enjoyed it and got into it straight away. It was a interesting episode. One of my favourites.

15. enxel

enxel Eagle´s Trainer

;151; what a weird episode?
    IMO, it has been the most impresive episode ever, i didn't expect THAT to happen.
    i think the producers hired writers from saint seiya and dragon ball z

But, after all it was a very good episode

16. Sika

Sika Transcendence

I told you not to tell that.

Anyway that was weird with the super-saijayin/golden Swellow and Pikachu.

Funny scenes at the begining of the battle. I liked that Pikachu lands, attemps to stand up and then Swellow landed.

You know, i had a bazooka aiming at the screen in case they gave away the badge to Ash after defeating TR. I hate when Ash gets things for free, and i´m glad that haven´t happened in a long time *coughPrycecough*.

This episode makes the cut over the average and wins a place in my tape. 8/10

17. Pokemon Fan

What? You consider the Pryce Gym badge a freebie? How so? Ash battled Pryce to a standstill, and having shown to have everything Pryce was testing trainers for in battle, he saw there was no point in continuing so he surrendered the match. The point of gym battles is to demonstrate certain skills, not just knock out the opponent.

18. Sika

Sika Transcendence

Oops... My memory of Johto is kinda confused. But i know Ash has gotten free badges at some points.

19. wobbanut

wobbanut Team Awesome

Making up for lost time on episode reviews...

Anyway, I truly enjoyed this gym battle. Pikachu and Swellow were awesome in the fight, even though they came in at a humongous disadvantage. Their extra power towards the end was especially impressive, even though I was wondering what the heck that was all about. It was also great that Ash FINALLY used double team after all these years. You'd think after all the times that opponents have used it to their advantage against Ash, he would have taught his pokemon that long ago (Pikachu and Sparky's double teaming doesn't count). I'm glad that Team Rocket forced the gym match outside, too, which gave Ash so much more room to maneuver, even though the gym with its model planets looked pretty cool.

Overall, 9/10.

20. MayShuufan

MayShuufan Mrs Brendan Birch ^^

It was quite a good eppie except what really annoyed me was they turned Tate into a guy! Tate and Liza are both girls as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong.