• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Solstice and Pokémon GO Fest Chicago events announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Solstice and Pokémon GO Fest Chicago events announced

https://daily.pokecommunity.com/201...nniversary-announces-pokemon-go-fest-chicago/
http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/anniversary2017

The gist - a Fire and Ice type event June 13th, including lucky egg sales and more exp for nice/great/excellent throws. And a live event in Chicago in July as part of the anniversary celebrations. More details (and hopefully locations!) to come on those.

Also: gym revamp after the first event! Yay.

----------------------------

I need Cyndaquil and Swinub badly, so this next event suits me nicely.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
No replies yet?

Okay, I'm not interested in this Solstice Event, and here's why:

Reason 1: Medals.

I already have a Gold Fire and Ice-type medal. The Adventure Week-event came just a little bit late for me, as I only needed 15 more Rock-types to get the Gold Medal, but it was appreciated nonetheless since...

Reason 2: Content.

...I was short on Rhyhorn Candy (considering Rhyperior) and I (still) needed Aerodactyl and lots of Larvitar-candy. Everything else was fluff, though more candies for Golem and a decent Omastar would be nice objectives. The content for the Rock-type event was great. I honestly don't need any candy for my Fire or Ice-types (aside from Lapras which I'll come to later). I've got 215 Charmander Candy and 166 Cyndaquil Candy, so it isn't the starters I'm worried about. Slugma just got spawned to sickening rates during the Adventure Week. I'd appreciate Houndour, since it's one of my faves, and I'd like another Houndoom as it doesn't have a moveset with two moves of the same type. Sort of goes for Growlithe as well, as my only Arcanine has two Dark-type moves. I frequently hatch Ponyta from eggs, so it's not really worth the event. Vulpix would be nice, but I already have two decent Ninetales with good movesets that I won't bother to power-up. I've got 130 Magmar candy, so it's another none-factor. In terms of the Ice-types.. well..

Reason 3: Biome.

I'm pretty sure I live in an Ice-type/Water-type-Biome if there is one. I can walk through the park next to my house, which is a Pikachu-nest.. But there will be TWO Swinub, a Jynx and a Sneasel on the Nearby. I would want a nice Dewgong, I'll tell you that much. I've got one with Aurora Beam and one with Icy Wind, so I'd really like one with a move with a higher damage output. Cloyster would be nice as well, but I heard that they removed Blizzard as a possible move for it, so I don't know if it's worth it anymore. I've got one with Blizzard, but it's 105cp.. -.- I've got 270 Jynx candy that's rotting in a place somewhere.. I've got 78 candy for Sneasel, so I want some more of that, but it's not necessary. It's not as if I need them for the Dark-type medal either. And that's it. I used Swinub to fill up my Ice-type medal. Caught more than a 100 of them. Delibird isn't even released! Oh.. Did I forget one? Nope..

Reason 4: Lapras.

Great, a greater chance of catching a Lapras from the wild! GREAT! Except it isn't. Knowing Niantic, they'll drop the rates for Lapras after the first few hours like they did during the Water Festival and the Adventure Week with Aerodactyl. Like Lapras then, and Aerodactyl afterwards.. I don't expect to catch a Lapras during this event. Niantic are pathetic that way. And I rather hatch one that has decent IV's and a decent starting level to boost. I currently have three Lapras, all caught from the wild AFTER the Water Festival.. And one has good IV's, but is 1449cp. The other two aren't worth mentioning with their CP not going over 500.. -.-

So, I'm not really interested in this Solstice Event. My goals will be the same as for most other events: Catch every Fire and Ice-type, or get enough candy during the event to meet the evolution-price. So.

1. Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard (The goal is 124 candy, if I don't catch Charmeleon and Charizard, 100 candy if I catch a Charmeleon).
2. Vulpix, Ninetales. (The goal is 50 Vulpix Candy if I don't catch a Ninetales).
3. Growlithe, Arcanine
4. Ponyta, Rapidash
5. Magmar
6. Flareon
7. Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion.
8. Slugma, Magcargo
9. Houndour, Houndoom
10. Seel*, Dewgong
11. Shellder*, Cloyster
12. Jynx
13. Lapras...
14. Sneasel
15. Swinub, Piloswine
16. Delibird... LOL...

*There's no reason to catch a Seel and Shellder outside of making sure I can evolve one into Dewgong and Cloyster by the end of the event in the case that I don't catch a Dewgong or Cloyster.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
https://daily.pokecommunity.com/201...nniversary-announces-pokemon-go-fest-chicago/
http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/anniversary2017

The gist - a Fire and Ice type event June 13th, including lucky egg sales and more exp for nice/great/excellent throws. And a live event in Chicago in July as part of the anniversary celebrations. More details (and hopefully locations!) to come on those.

Also: gym revamp after the first event! Yay.

----------------------------

I need Cyndaquil and Swinub badly, so this next event suits me nicely.

This sentence sums up my feelings in a nutshell. I just really hope that Niantic doesn't nerf the rare Pokemon spawns after a few hours like they did with the Water Festival and the Adventure Week events (since I couldn't find Larpas during the former, nor Aerodactyl or Larvitar during the latter).

As for in person events, I really hope they come to a city near me since I can't (nor want) to go to Chicago. No offense to those who live there. I mentioned the events to my mother (who also plays) and she got really excited and is all for going to an in person event, which is great XD

So yeah! Can't wait for ALL this stuff! The gyms being out of commission for a while will be a bummer, but I'll bet they'll be a lot better when all is said and done.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
And a live event in Chicago in July as part of the anniversary celebrations. More details (and hopefully locations!) to come on those.

I should not be tempted to go to Chicago. No, I should not.

(Incidentally, will anyone be attending this event? If so, plz 2 b covering? :D)

As for the Fire/Ice event, I'm in the "I need more Cyndaquil" boat. And Fire-types in general, as those seem to be rare around where I live. (I still haven't found a Magmar or Houndour.) Sorta ambivalent about Ice-types, although I'm a medal collector in need of a just a few more for the Ice medal. So my plan's just catching what I can get for the Ice medal, then messing around for the evolution EXP, ngl.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Fire and Ice-Types are good. I don't really need any of them, but there are plenty of ones I wouldn't mind catching more of.

Though, I'm a little confused. I get the Fire-Type for the summer solstice, but why Ice? I guess they just wanted something wacky and random?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I should not be tempted to go to Chicago. No, I should not.
Apparently other locations may be announced soon as well. I'll wait and see if there's any in Sydney and what's actually involved...
As for the Fire/Ice event, I'm in the "I need more Cyndaquil" boat. And Fire-types in general, as those seem to be rare around where I live. (I still haven't found a Magmar or Houndour.) Sorta ambivalent about Ice-types, although I'm a medal collector in need of a just a few more for the Ice medal. So my plan's just catching what I can get for the Ice medal, then messing around for the evolution EXP, ngl.
I am alright for Fire types besides Cyndaquil. I guess I could use more Magmar candy for the eventual gen 4 evolution... but I had enough Slugma candy even before the last event, haha. Meanwhile I would have needed Charmander candy but I lucked out and caught a Charizard during the Christmas event, haha. (Low cp but good enough for me).
Fire and Ice-Types are good. I don't really need any of them, but there are plenty of ones I wouldn't mind catching more of.

Though, I'm a little confused. I get the Fire-Type for the summer solstice, but why Ice? I guess they just wanted something wacky and random?
Acknowledgement of the other side of the world where it is winter I wager, haha.

Vipsoccermaster

Acknowledgement of the other side of the world where it is winter I wager, haha.
That's correct. For the Fire-types, I just hope I can get its evolutions if I can, without evolving. As for Ice-types, there's still a few new ones I need, like Lapras and a few others, for example, but I'm going to need a lot of them to get the gold Ice medal. I already have the gold Fire medal. Since starting the game back in August 2016, I only caught 7 Ice-types. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play much this week, as I will be at E3 2017, but I will for the weekend. Hopefully I'll get a lot of items from PokéStops while at the Los Angeles Convention Center, because I'm dangerously low on PokéBalls that I used up too many for trying to catch a Pidgeot last night. I did caught it, thankfully.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Ah yes, those people do exist, don't they?

Sorry, but I will never be able to get over the fact that part of the world starts winter in June and summer in December.

Psychic

Really and truly
Welp, now I feel a lot less special for having had a Typhlosion before the event!

But for real, I'm excited about it! We don't get a ton of fire-types here, and I just got my gold fire badge today! Houndour have been pretty abundant, so I'm hoping to also get my gold dark badge that way and get my first Houndoom. I'm also hoping to find a decent Charmander since I have enough candy to get my first Charizard. In terms of ice 'mon, I just hope I can get a good Lapras!

Also I am pretty darn jelly of the Chicago event. If it wasn't so far away it would be super cool to go. It's unlikely there will be any events in my neck of the woods. I suppose I could always try organizing something...

~Psychic

Rapiido

Finally got Typhlosion and Houndoom! Also the amount of spawns is ridiculous. There's one stop at a park by my house that yesterday spawned 2 Cyndaquil, 2 Charmander, Ponyta, Vulpix and Growlithe all at the same time. Plus anytime I walk to the gym/work I catch at least 20 fire types. I was under the requirement for the Fire Gold medal before the event started, now I've caught over 350.
Also I can finally get a Charizard that isn't "not likely to make headway in battle" with Wing Attack and Dragon Claw......

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
The event has been suspiciously kind to me. I finally got enough Charmanders to evolve one into a Charmeleon, and enough Growlithe, Houndour, and Shellder to evolve them. I also found a Lapras. Still need Smoochum and Magby, Jynx, and enough Charmanders, Cyndaquils, and Vulpix to evolve them into their final forms. And I doubt I'll get another day off before the event ends.

EDIT: Ninetales get!

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Easily got enough Cyndaquil candy, there's so many here. And then I caught a Typhlosion anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still need more Swinub but I have easily improved on its Candy count already, and more than enough for Piloswine. Just working up to the gen 4 evolutions for it given it was so darn rare here.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Chicago is about a 3 hour drive from me. That's not bad at all actually. Honestly, if I didn't work a no life work schedule I wouldn't mind going to that event. I wish Detroit would hold an event. That one would be even easier for me to go to. I only live an hour away from Detroit. Hopefully someday I can attend a Pokémon Go event.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
So coming back here to enter my report, as divuldged in candy, in order of first captured and with GenIV requirements not being goals:

110 Shellder Candy
98 Houndour Candy
163 Ponyta Candy
154 Charmander Candy (31 on the extended day)
87 Vulpix Candy
153 Growlithe Candy (13 from an Egg hatch)
xx Eevee Candy, I'll get to this below.
172 Cyndaquil Candy
91 Swinub Candy, obviously not enough to fulfill the GenIV standard of 124 for Mamoswine, but that wasn't a goal. Overall, I already had enough candy for Mamoswine so I'm not too bothered.
8 Magmar Candy, same as Swinub, enough candy for Magmortar wasn't a goal and I already obtained enough for when GenIV does drop.
4 Jynx candy, which is odd for my location's standards.
65 Seel Candy
11 Sneasel Candy, same as Swinub and Magmar.

As for Eevee, I had 19 Eevee Candy, which normally mean that I failed by 6 Candy.. HOWEVER, I did capture an Eevee while using a Pinap Berry at 20:08 UTC, but it got regular exp-yield. A Shellder caught at 20:05 UTC however DID have the x3 bonus. So while I think that particular Eevee was still an event spawn, that they flipped the switch mid-capture.. So I'm counting it as an event capture, and I do count the 7 Candy as legitimately earned during the event.

Now, why did I capture 41 Ponyta? Well, because the first 40 Ponyta had IV's ranging from crap, to almost good even though some had CP's of 1200, they didn't have the IV's that my hatched one have, so I just went on capturing Ponyta until I caught one that did have good IV's. Same with Shellder, although I found two with good IV's. In fact, I did this with almost all the things that I caught, I wanted at least one with good IV's. Which worked on most that needed to evolve to complete the event: 2 Shellder, 3 Houndour, 1 Ponyta, 1 Vulpix, 1 Growlithe (hatched), 2 Cyndaquil and 1 Swinub. I thus didn't manage to capture a decent IV'd Charmander, while I hatched a Squirtle with good IV's, karma - nor did I capture a good IV'd Eevee, Seel Sneasel, Magmar, Jynx or Magmar.

Last topic: Pinap Berries. I started out with my Adventure Week-mindset: Hold off on the Pinap's, but two (eventually three) days before the end of the Event, I started noticing that I only had 4 Seel Candy, and was very low on Eevee, Charmander and Cyndaquil candy. So I started pumping out those Pinap's on those targets specifically because otherwise I wouldn't make the target. Once I reached their targets (25, 50 & 124) I stopped using the Pinap's. I also used a Pinap on the Sneasel, since I wasn't going to make 50 Sneasel candy a goal, I might as well just use a Pinap on a relatively more rare species.

So what did I not catch:

1. LAPRAS. SURPRISE SURPRISE. not
2. Slugma. Not a single one even popped up on my Nearby. But I reckon that Niantic simply didn't want to drown us with scorching slugs, since they just dropped them during the Adventure Week.
3. Evolutions. No Cloyster, Houndoom, Rapidash, Charmeleon, Charizard, Ninetales, Arcanine, Quilava, Typhlosion, Piloswine or Dewgong showed up on my Nearby at all, nor did I encounter any while walking throughout the city. It was weird. When I was visiting a farm with my kid, there was a Flareon on the Nearby, but not necessarily close enough to warrant temporarily leaving the stables so to speak.. xD
4. Didn't hatch a Magby or Smoochum, though there's a reason for that: After my Growlithe-hatch, I found my 9th 10k egg and am now running all of them simultaneously. Currenly at 2.1/10km.
5. DELIBIRD. Why Niantic didn't drop Delibird and Stantler at Christmas is beyond me. If you can drop the babies, then you could've dropped those two as well. Yes, I know, Delibird has a tricky move in Present, but honestly, it gets Egg Moves and TM's. It even got Drill Peck as a LEVEL-UP move in GenVII. Drop Delibird with Icy Wind and Drill Peck, or Frost Breah and Ice Beam or Blizzard, I don't care. There's no reason to withold it simply to give it a gimmick like Present.
6. Articuno and Moltres. Yup.. I went there.

Status
Not open for further replies.