• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Some virus deletion help.

Jerichi

ASB Overlord
Staff member
My computer claims that one of my program files has virus. The program file itself has an irregular name, and uses the window Icon. The name is ljtwr t (no space; I just don't trust viruses) and it carries the file suffix .EXE. My virus scanner says it cannot delete, quarintene, or clean the file. This may be because it is a system file, but I do not know. I currently have isolated the program, but I do not know if I should straight out delete it, or do something else.

Also, I have been seeing many of the command boxes pop up. I came on my computer this morning, only to see that my desktop was flooded with command prompts, all speaking of my printer, and other things.

I hope someone can help.

I think it might be possible for the Anti-virus to clean it if you either go to msconfig, and look for the program name or filename under the Startup Tab and disable it (Uncheck it).

Also, go to your Task Manager, and stop un-important programs from running. (Don't stop programs like Explorer : P)

Then run Virus Scan again.

I haven't heard of that file before, you might get information on the file if you look it up in google, or go to your "Find File" in your Start Menu, and see what it is. @_@

Good Luck.

Jerichi

ASB Overlord
Staff member
Hmm... I've tried everything, but nothing works...

He is something interesting. The file says that it was created in 2005, but it's last modifacation was in 2004, before I got this computer.

Jerichi

ASB Overlord
Staff member
I have McAffe. It won't let me forget.

Meh, it doesn't seem to be doing anything to my computer right now. I tried to manully delete it, but it doesn't seem to want to let me. I'll try to go into safe mode though. I might just have to disable it from doing anything, because I stoped its process, whatever it is, and it doesn't seem to want to do anything else.

Trip

Former Staff Member
I don't know how much of a help it will be, but check out Antivir. It's really good at picking up viruses, though it has no live protection like Norton, McAfee, or AVG.

Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't. Whatever it is, I doubt you'll find any info by Googling the file name, as was suggested by another poster. It sounds like a virus that picked a randomly generated name. A lot of the nastier viruses/spyware tend to do that.

- Trip

umbreot

God of Fusions
you should dowload all your imprtant files and personal information from your computer onto a CD, if you cant do that, use a floppy.

If you used a CD (it's the best way to ensure that downloaded files don't get deleted) go ahed and re-install XP. This should delete ALL your current files (expect the ones on the CD) in cluding the virus. When all that is done, just put back the information on the CD.

This is what I have done in the past when a virus really bugged me.

When you said manually delete it, did you mean deleting it whilst running windows? and did you stop programs from running using the Task Manager?

It's possible to delete the file in MS-DOS, however if you have Windows XP, you need the System recovery Disk. Just slip it in the floppy disk drive and access MS-DOS then locate the file and delete it from there : P

Afterwards, do a full scan again.

Anyways...

You found out what that file is? Where's the file contained in?

Last edited: