• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Something I've noticed about Ash's travels

STICKTOPIA

When Ash sets out on a new journey, it's b/c Gary does it too. When Ash heard that Gary was headed to Johto, he decided to go too. When he heard that Gary was already headed out on a new journey after the silver conference, Ash decided to go to the Hoenn region. When Gary told Ash about how there are tough pokemon in sinnoh and how the world's a big place and left for sinnoh, that made Ash decide to go to sinnoh.

So in conclusion, is Ash travelling mainly b/c of how Gary?

Frontier Brain B

I'm that good.
Yes and no. Ash wants to be a Pokémon master. Why wouldn't he follow the advice of someone who, more or less, is better at the game than he is? Remember, Gary was here, Ash is a loser.

I refuse to accept hot yaoibait as an answer.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash traveled to Hoenn because Harrisson told him about it and he was impressed by his Blaziken.

So Ash going to Hoenn had nothing to do with Gary.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Well, he needs to hear about the region from somebody. I recall that it was Professor Oak who needed Ash to go to Johto and Harrison who introduced Hoenn. He also went to Sinnoh off his own bat after a postcard from Gary, rather than being "challenged" to go there. But makes sense to have an established character introduce him to these new places rather than some random- usually we don't know the name of the region that far in advance of the new game/series anyway, so he'll always hear about it only shortly before going.

Meg Is Hoenn's Champ

Meg Is Hoenn's Champ
A.I.P. said:
aww... but it's such a tempting theory.. ;)

STICKTOPIA

Ash traveled to Hoenn because Harrisson told him about it and he was impressed by his Blaziken.

So Ash going to Hoenn had nothing to do with Gary.
yea but Ash didn't really seem ready for Hoenn until after Gary left. He was sitting in the tree talking about how everybody is gone. After seeing Ho-oh, he then decided to go to Hoenn.

Yes and no. Ash wants to be a Pokémon master. Why wouldn't he follow the advice of someone who, more or less, is better at the game than he is? Remember, Gary was here, Ash is a loser.

hot yaoibait?

Profesco

gone gently
I know too many people who'd love to write it all off as yaoibait, sure.

Ash has been influenced by lots of different things. Having a rival's a great reason to explore new places, but I'm sure Ash would have made his way around without Gary to egg him on, too. Personally, Ho-Oh's been my favorite catalyst. =P

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Gary didnt go to Hoenn if I remember...

STICKTOPIA

Gary didnt go to Hoenn if I remember...
I know but him leaving so fast is 1 of the reasons that got Ash to leave for hoenn.

What is yaoibait????

An00bis

Wicked Witch
You don't want to know what Yaoibait is.

Anyway the answer's No. Ash gets the motivation to go to a New Region for a number of reasons. He went to the Orange Islands to run an errand for Professor Oak and only decided to do the Orange League when he got there. Professor Oak (the older one) was the one who asked Ash to go to Johto to do another errand. He went and got involved in the Johto League. As Cyber said Harrison was the one who convinced him to go to Hoenn. Gary only convinced him to go with one Pokemon (Pikachu) afterwards. Scoot invited Ash to tour Kanto for the Battle Frontier following that.

Gary really only suggested that Ash go to Sinnoh to try his luck there. He had little to do with Ash's other traveling decisions.

HoennMaster

Really only Johto and Sinnoh had to do with Gary. Ash was sort of peeved when he found out Gary went to Johto, and he decided to go, giving Oak the perfect excuse for the delivery errand.

And of course Ash first learned about Sinnoh from Gary.

Relinquish

Addicted
Ash refused to become a frontier brain and said something like "...Because there are so much stuff i haven't done yet and places i haven't been to yet..."

STICKTOPIA

Ash refused to become a frontier brain and said something like "...Because there are so much stuff i haven't done yet and places i haven't been to yet..."
yea but he didn't have sinnoh in mind.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Kanto and Hoenn had nothing to do with Gary. In Kanto he started the journey and Gary started in the same time, and in Hoenn he heard about Blaziken and Hoenn even before he saw Gary in Silver conference, and I guess he was traveling to there even if Gary wasn't decided to be a pokemon researcher.

STICKTOPIA

Kanto and Hoenn had nothing to do with Gary. In Kanto he started the journey and Gary started in the same time, and in Hoenn he heard about Blaziken and Hoenn even before he saw Gary in Silver conference, and I guess he was traveling to there even if Gary wasn't decided to be a pokemon researcher.
I only mentioned johto, hoenn, and sinnoh. I never said anything about hoenn. But when did Ash decide to go to hoenn? A little after Gary left.

terminoob

The Underdog
Same as the REAL reason Brock keeps coming back. Yaoibait.

But really, the writers just use whatever they can as a plot point for Ash to travel to the next region. He went to Johto cause Prof. Oak had the GS ball to be delivered; Hoenn cause Ash was impressed by Harrison's Blaziken and wanted newer Pokemon; Sinnoh cause Gary told him to try his luck after getting pummeled by Electivire; and the writers will make some other excuse for Ash to travel to the 5th Gen region (here's hoping Tracey introduces another Scyther evo, but that's a slim chance) and so on and so forth.

STICKTOPIA

Hoenn was because of Ho-oh, plus the fact of all of the new Pokemon there (I guess Ash thought he was destined to go there)
Let me just make sure I read ur post properly. So ur saying that if Ash never learned about the Hoenn region from Harrison, Ash would know where Ho-oh is headed to?