• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Songs that have been Butchered by Other Artists.

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
I think personally that when they take any good song on its own and then add a beat to it and rap the lyrics I tend to dislike it. An example (that everyone here seems to agree with) is You Spin me Round (like a Record) originally done by Dead or Alive. Flo Ryda took it and made it work for him.. I guess. I still hate his "cover" I'll take the original and its hilarious video anyday over what Flo Ryda "made". I think the only person I know of that does decent remixes of older songs is Rihanna. I like S.O.S. (originally Soft Cell's "Tainted Love) and "Live your Life" (Originally some of it is from that Numa Numa song).
I honestly don't mind when there is a pop cover of a song as I feel most artists make it work for them. Honestly though going from Rick Astley to Ashley Tisdale isn't half as bad as going Rick Astley to Fifty Cent, IMO of course. I just never been a huge fan of the rap industry, or country for that matter. I remember hating the cover of "Landslide" the Dixie Chicks did a few years back. I really feel its all up to personal taste. Which should be obvious.

As far as Avril doing System of a Down's Chop Suey, I am pretty sure (by relisteing to it just now) that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Not an actual "cover" just her having fun at a concert. I know alot of SOAD fans don't see it that way, however. I've done the same thing with my cousins however. It is very hard to know what he is saying in the song if you don't listen to it often and don't know the lyrics.

Grei

not the color
Didn't the Jonas Brothers do some Beatles song?
I haven't even heard it, and I know it's been butchered.

As much as I like Utada Hikaru, she kind of butchered Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I sort of like it, but it sounds a little too...intense. Green Day said that Boulevard was meant to be the "hangover", while Holiday was the "party", so Boulevard shouldn't be intense like Utada's voice made it.

Let's see...there are more, I'm sure...OH! You Spin Me Round, the song that Right Round was based off of, was totally butchered by Flo Rida. I realize they aren't the same song, but Right Round really shouldn't have been made.

[/opinionated post]

EDIT: While Live Your Life starts and ends with what sounds like "Numa Numa" (which is called Dragostea din Tei D'; *wishes more people were aware of that*), the two songs are totally different, moreso than Right Round and You Spin Me Round. Live Your Life even changed the syllables during the parts reminiscent of Dragostea din Tei...

(my-yah-hee, my-yah-hah, my-yah-hoo, my-yah-ha-hah in Live Your Life, rather than my-yah-hee, my-yah-hoo, my-yah-hah, my-yah-ha-hah, which was in the original, Dragostea din Tei)

...to avoid lawsuits--therefore, they weren't really "covering" the song, they just had something similar in it. Probably to make the song popular, as low as that sounds.

In any case, I like Live Your Life. :3

Last edited:

Waldorf

ungrateful
Madonna butchered Don McLean's "American Pie". Not that I was ever a huge fan of that song.

Goldfinger's cover of Nena's "99 Red Balloons" was stupid.

Don't really like The Killers' cover of Joy Division's "Shadowplay", or The Eagles' "Hotel California" for that matter.

This was sampling as opposed to a cover, but Kanye West's "Stronger" left a dent in my soul.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Didn't the Jonas Brothers do some Beatles song?
I haven't even heard it, and I know it's been butchered.
They covered Hey Jude and Hello Goodbye.

Both have been butched to the point that it's unbearable to listen to the ORIGINAL without cringing at th JB cover.

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
MJ's-Beat It in his glory days
Now
Fall out ***'S-beat it i meen fall out boys their band dose not need to be capitilazed because their music sucks
Ten Masked Men's cover of Beat It is far superior, I suggest you check it out.

Don't really like The Killers' cover of Joy Division's "Shadowplay", or The Eagles' "Hotel California" for that matter.

Well, Joy Division isn't exactly a band most artists should be permitted to cover, so it's not surprising that a group would do it poorly.

Overall, I can't think of one that I've really heard that isn't 'well it depends on the day...' -- because while e.g. R.E.M.'s cover of 'Strange' may simplify the song, the covers still end up being enjoyable in their own right. I suppose that's because I avoid modern pop for the most part...

trixie08

Speak No Evil
I was listening to this podcast and there was some indie band that did a cover of one of my favorites "Gloria" by Laura Branigan. I swear, my ears were bleeding when I heard it.

Another is Yellowcard's version of "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds at the MTV Movie Awards a few years back. Obviously, they butchered such an awesome song!

Also, I didn't know The Jonas Brothers covered some Beatles songs! There's another reason for me to despise them!!

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
Danny Gokey destroyed Dream On in American Idol this year.

Electivire Addict said:
Chop Suey was orriginally by System of Down, Tenatious D did a funny cover of it, but what Avril Lavigne did. She raped it, killed it, necrophiled it, ate it, barfed it, swapped it up, put it in a bucket, and dumped it all over the orriginal Chop Suey fans

D= WHY? i hate Avril Lavigne. posing, wannabe piece of garble. ¬_¬

I don't even like the sound of Tenacious D's version as i think they are rubbish.

That song that's on the end of Fight Club... where is my head or something, covered by Placebo... i don't like that cover but i like thier cover of "running up that hill".

mangaeyes

I like Avril Lavigne but yes she did absolutely murder Chop Suey. Pleeeeease don't judge her on that. Youtube serach Under My Skin songs, you'll be surprised.

Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah, butchered by Alexandra Burke. She's whiney and warbly and I hate her.
Oh yeah and Alexandras twin, Leona Lewis, butchered Run by Snow Patrol.......oh and look they're both from X-Factor......hmm...

Peter Quill

star-lord
Madonna's cover of 'American Pie' destroyed one of the greatest songs ever written

The pain. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned more D:

Other notables:

Jonas Brothers - This has already been proven with like how many songs? God.

Flo Rida - Generic OMFGIT'SAMZINGIWANTHISBABIES singer who runied an awesome 80's song.

Ashley Tisdale - This made me lol so many times over when I heard she took Never Gonna Give You Up.