• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood [RPG]

Hmmm. I think I'll probably give it a go. It should be pretty interesting. I'm quite excited about it... but that's happend before and I have been quite dissapointed a lot of the time...

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
If Mario can pull off an RPG, I don't see why Sonic can't.
Because the Mario RPG's, hell, the whole franchise even, don't take themselves seriously or go out of their way to be dramatic?

I'm extremely sceptical of this. Even if the gameplay does end up being good , and even if this is being developed by someone other than Sonic Team, the current dark, dank, Twilight Princess-esque artwork doesn't exactly fill me with glee, and to be quite honest, I'm not expecting this thing to churn out memorable dialogue either.

But, as always, I'm willing to wait around so I can hopefully eat my words.

Last edited:

Xylitol

swimmin'
Thing is, the whole game REEKS of Archie

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I've never read any Sonic comics...

I was interested when they first announced that a Sonic RPG was coming to the DS, but now... I don't know, I don't think this style fits Sonic too well. First bits of story are pretty odd, too.

Rave

Banned
Because the Mario RPG's, hell, the whole franchise even, don't take themselves seriously or go out of their way to be dramatic?

I'm extremely sceptical of this. Even if the gameplay does end up being good , and even if this is being developed by someone other than Sonic Team, the current dark, dank, Twilight Princess-esque artwork doesn't exactly fill me with glee, and to be quite honest, I'm not expecting this thing to churn out memorable dialogue either.

But, as always, I'm willing to wait around so I can hopefully eat my words.

Thats what I was looking for. Why did I say Wind Waker?

Rave

Banned
Got me some more images.

The rest I found was the whole Nintendo Power article on it.

Shade.jpg

Oddly, she reminds me a bit of Midna from Twilight Princess.

But yeah... another new Sonic character. Didn't see this one coming.

Anzua2

Got me some more images.

Shade.jpg

It's another alternate version of Cream. Marine was enough, but now we get this.

Also, Shade is the most original name EVER.

Rave

Banned
It's another alternate version of Cream. Marine was enough, but now we get this.

Also, Shade is the most original name EVER.

I think its just alot of copy and pasting here and there.

Cobalt_Latios

I don't see "fail" written anywhere. I see some screenshots and early information.

It's funny how you say "Game Over," as if, you know, because you don't like it Sega will say "oop, guess we finally realize we've been making some subpar efforts, let's sell the franchise to the aggregate genius of the Intarwebz because they know everything." The know-nothing Internet mavens have been whining their asses off about what Sega's done with the franchise, and now they hand it off to an honest-to-god developer with a clue in BioWare for a game and they're still whining.

The game does not fail based on an early magazine article and some artwork.

Not to mention that BioWare is a great company to boot. They've made quite a few decent games that people enjoy, which are all RPG's (I think). Personally, seeing how BW is making this game, I might actually give it a shot. If it's for the DS then yes. The Wii, well I'll be asking myself why...

I don't know about you, but the style seems to look more like ToS than WW.

edit: Didn't realize there was a page 2...

Got me some more images.

Shade.jpg

Okay, we got a character with what appears to be psychokinetic powers (as saying Psychic powers usually gets another meaning to people, and psychokinetic somewhat means telekinetic, I think), and whose name is also somewhat obvious but not that easily guessable. A chameleon-esque look (though Espio was the true chameleon), with a pretty neat "cyber-armor" look.

Why do I get the awkward feeling this character will have some form of very strange revelation that will make her seem more potent to the story than she already will be. I don't know, it just feels like it will happen. Otherwise, I'm glad they didn't make too many new characters.

Is it just me, or is the tradition of "adding a new character to EVERY SONIC ITIRATION" one of gripes that people have on this series, alongside badly made 3D Sonic games?

~C_L~

Last edited:
What system is this game for?
Looks meh, to say the least. Shade reminds me of Mewtwo for some reason.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
I don't think the character design is really all that bad. Even with the ear-like protrusions, she looks a lot less like Cream than Marine could ever hope to, and she doesn't follow the all-too-familiar Sonic archetype of the gloves + shoes combo. Even her eyes are different from the norm. It’s not the BEST character design in the world, but at least it’s evident that they’ve made a decent attempt at branching out a little. No Mephilles or Silver by any means…

Though I agree that 'Shade' is a craptacular name. I'd have gone with 'Cuddles', personally.

Last edited:

Rave

Banned
What system is this game for?
Looks meh, to say the least. Shade reminds me of Mewtwo for some reason.

Its for the DS.

I'm still waiting for BattleFranky, I really wanna see what he'll think of all this.

Razgriz

This is definitely one game I'll try. Shade looks interesting, to say the least but the name isn't exactly creative. The style looks awesome and I'm hoping that the story is good as well.

Wes

Iblis Wings
Since the file size of the article was huge, I took the time to cut off parts of the scan unnesacary, such as parts of the scan that were only part of the scanner itself. No quality has been lost and the file size is only 5.23 MB compared to the 20 MB version. Here's a link:
http://files.filefront.com/Sonic+RPG+NPzip...;/fileinfo.html
Make mirrors if you want to.
Edit: Here are the pictures separately for those who don't want to download.

And Gravy my boy... you worry far too much. Bioware is a competent company. The same company who also recently made the critically acclaimed Mass Effect game for the Xbox 360. Now would you rather Sonic Team took this game to develop or them? Bioware are going to add another good DS Sonic like Rush and Rush Adventure. I bet on it.

Last edited:

Wes

Iblis Wings
I also took some time to bullet notes. Thanks to RPM for the info!

• they say there are people who won't be happy that this isn't going to provide the absolute fastest Sonic experience, as it's an RPG. But they say there are other Sonic games that do that, and their interest here is to still incorporate speed wherever it makes sense; they say it's really a combination of both BioWare and Sonic and they want to please fans of both.
• they joked that they're looking to raise Big's IQ a few points
• unlike most 2D RPGs, which use tile-based patterns for the environments, Sonic Chronicles' backgrounds are drawn entirely by hand. They did this because they wanted to try to bring back the series' "classic style."
• shoes will be a big part of Sonic's equipment that you purchase via rings at shops. Examples given are shoes that increase his speed, or give him fire attacks.
• the reason they have battle actions happen after you select actions for all party members is to give the battles a greater sense of speed as everything plays out. some characters will be able to perform multiple actions in a round, leading to "impressively frenetic battle sequences."
• again, the idea with the battles is, you have strategic thinking by turn-based input, but it will be "presented very quickly." "You see Sonic moving the way he should be moving."
• the reason they added real time active elements to the turn-based system is to keep the player engaged. They stated that Final Fantasy, even with its "speculator animations," disengages the play because there's no interaction.
• as you improve your characters, you get new field map abilities as well as battle moves. This will allow you to access new areas on the maps. It will encourage you not just to stick to your favorite characters; each one has unique abilities to offer.
• they don't just want to use preexisting Sonic story stuff. They want to leave the BioWare mark by creating new characters, new locations. But it will feel like it builds on the franchise rather than is tacked on.
• Muzyka has a Genesis signed by Yuji Naka.
• the project got started because Muzyka and Zeschuk knew Sega of America president Simon Jeffery from when he was at LucasArts and they were doing KotOR.
• "most of the high-quality handheld stuff is coming out of Japan. There isn't a lot of North American AAA handheld development going on." They viewed this as an opportunity for them.
• they think the DS is naturally attuned towards RPGs more. The two screens can show RPG stats that's appropriate for the genre. They say building on the DS is like when they were building on the PC years ago because you have a small, tight-knit team where each person is a key contributor.
• they say they really want to make something that stays true to Sonic, but still surprises and surpasses fan expectations because it's something new and different.

The director is Mark Darrah. Prior credits are:
• Baldur's Gate (lead AI programming, additional programming team)
• Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (lead programming)
• Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (lead programmer, Infinity Engine programming team)
• Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (lead programmer)
• Neverwinter Nights (programmer)
• Neverwinter Nights Gold (programmer)
• Jade Empire (lead programmer)
• Mass Effect (special thanks)

Lead artist is Joel MacMillan. Prior credits are:
• Jade Empire (cutscene art/animation team)
• Mass Effect (cinematics animator team)
• Jade Empire Special Edition (cutscene art/animation team)

The lead game designer is new to BioWare. His names is Miles O'Brien Prower Holmes; looks like he used to work at DICE, and his prior credits are:
• Dracula's Secret (artist)
• Shrek for Xbox (tester)
• Jump Start: Dino Adventure (lead artist)
• Diva Starz (lead artist)
• Full Auto 2 (designer)

Last edited: