• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic: Genesis or Game Gear?

Which are the best?

• Genesis titles

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • Game Gear titles

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Both sets are equally great.

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I expect this to be a one-sided poll, but...

As we all know, Sonic the Hedgehog debuted on the Sega Genesis, and had a large amount of great titles under his belt, from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, up to Sonic 3D Blast. But there has also been a good amount of Game Gear titles as well for Sonic. Game Gear was Sega's equivalent of Nintendo's Game Boy, and it went out of circulation around 1997, and Sonic had some great games in there that are great as well, with Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Triple Trouble, etc. Although Sega dropped support of it, these Game Gear titles are unlockable content in Sonic Adventure DX, and are available on the Wii's Virtual Console.

So, out of curiosity, which set of Sonic's titles do you like the best, or think defined Sonic in his shining moment of glory in the 90's? I want some honest opinions, please.

Last edited:

Chris

Old Coot
Definitely Genesis. The Game Gear games did not do Sonic any justice, especially Labyrinth, which actually stripped Sonic of his speed for a very slow-paced game.

Sonic was known for being fast, having great music, great platforming and pushing the Genesis' visuals as best as it could for standard 2D titles.

Chris

Old Coot
Definitely Genesis. The Game Gear games did not do Sonic any justice, especially Labyrinth, which actually stripped Sonic of his speed for a very slow-paced game.

Sonic was known for being fast, having great music, great platforming and pushing the Genesis' visuals as best as it could for standard 2D titles.

Rave

Banned

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I haven't really played a lot of either of them, but I'd have to say Genesis, since Game Gear had pisspoor battery life.

BTW I don't think any Game Gear games are for the VC.

mrdurp4

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!
deffinetly genesis, but the game gear had some really good sonic games like tails adventure, and sonic triple trouble. if you can find a game gear emulator then id suggest geting the roms for these games (its not really worth it to get a game gear cause your gona need alot of money just to get batteries)

E-Hero Winged Kuriboh

It'd have to be the Genesis ones.

But as far as Sonic games go, a friend of mine passed this on an thought it was a pretty good read, as far as how Sonic games should be. http://www.sonicstadium.org/features/the-crossfire-level-design
What really annoys me is that before Sonic Unleashed, everyone was whining 'Sonic isn't fast enough', 'Sonic is all about speed', '3D games arn't fast like they were'.

Then when, finally, we get a game wis fast like he should be, they're suddenly 'Sonic isn't about speed', 'Sonic is about platforming', 'This is too fast to be Sonic'.

Seriously, Sonic fans will never be happy. Ever.

Dattebayo

Banned
I like both the Genesis and Game Gear Sonic games, but I tend to find the Game Gear's version of Sonic the Hedgehog better since it was the first Game Gear Sonic game I've played in Sonic Adventure DX.

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
The Gamegear was a power excuse of a portable. Not to mention the Sonic titles were bad ports. The originals were better.

CyberneticGlion

Pokemaniac10 revived
Considering that I've never played the Game Gear, my answer is one-sided (And obvious).

The Genesis games were probably one of the best I've seen on the console, and I personally thought it was Sonic at his best.

I heard the Game Gear titles were good but the portable was not.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Mega drive hands after all the game gear verison was in 8-bit while the meg drive was in 16-bit hell alot of different.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Mega Drive

The mega drive/genesis titles were the better ones for me. I still play them via VC and it's just as good as I remember

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
What really annoys me is that before Sonic Unleashed, everyone was whining 'Sonic isn't fast enough', 'Sonic is all about speed', '3D games arn't fast like they were'.

Then when, finally, we get a game wis fast like he should be, they're suddenly 'Sonic isn't about speed', 'Sonic is about platforming', 'This is too fast to be Sonic'.

Seriously, Sonic fans will never be happy. Ever.
All fans are like this. Even pokemon ones that never changes. Sonic unleashed is pretty close to what we want but not quite there yet. Maybe had they combined werehog's obstacles with sonic's speed we'd have a perfect game.
As for the topic: Genesis.

Cobalt_Latios

Genesis; it's why I bought Mega Collection for GameCube.

And Sonic 2 was one of my favorite games for the Genesis... and I still have it, along with a working Genesis.

~C_L~

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Well, I did expect a one-sided poll, but not by this much. The reason I put this up was because of one of the recent VC/WiiWare posts that said Sonic 2 (Gamegear) was available now, so I wanted to see everyone's opinions about this particular genre of Sonic games. Thanks guys. :)