• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing - Sonic's "Mario Kart," I Guess

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174428

Seems like the Sonic Riders shtick has been abandoned, and has been replaced with actual automobiles. Why on Earth Sonic needs a vehicle to race (again, after Sonic Drift), though, I have no idea.

The game will be distributed to the Wii, PS3, XBox360, and DS next year. Comment away, if you want to.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
...wouldn't a car just slow him down?

Such is the point. Though, Sambo de Amigo characters and Ulala could use them.

And I just now realized that the other SEGA characters may be recognized within the "story," other than being help off until the Story Mode in Sonic RIders was done and over with.

I may rent this game anyway, in case I'm jumping to far into conclusions, and it turns out to be a good racing game.

And since racing BGMs tend to be good anyway, I'd like to hear the selection here. And (impossible as it may seem), I'd like it if some Sonic R BGMs got in as unlockable content.

Last edited:
(5:05 PM) fhqwhgads: Hmm.
Oh, quick question.
Sonic All-Star Racing.
(5:06 PM) Dimentio: Maybe?
(5:06 PM) fhqwhgads: I like the line 'takes the world's fastest video game character and puts him into a car'.
(5:07 PM) Dimentio: ...To slow him down and make him dangerously close to dying?
Wait, are they referring to Sonic games of today? =P

/Thread

Odd console variety, also?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Seems like the Sonic Riders shtick has been abandoned, and has been replaced with actual automobiles. Why on Earth Sonic needs a vehicle to race (again, after Sonic Drift), though, I have no idea.
This is only another collaboration title of Sega's, so I don't think it will obselete Sonic Riders. The Sonic Riders series can stop having games, but I don't think that this new racing game will deal the final blow to the series.

I don't know, but this might turn out to be a decent game, especially if the Wii one gets Wiimote turn controls. That isn't to say that there isn't any room for error.

I don't think it will quite be another Sonic Drift. From the looks of it, you can attack other racers, but that just might be special effects that they put in the movie. It will probably be closer to Mario Kart.

One other thing, the reason Sonic is in a car is so that he can be on even grounds with all the other slower Sega mascots.

Alzi

Toon link
When i first saw the video for this it looked more like diddy kongs racing with the cars and planes and all that.

Thriller

Its almost time
Now they're just beating a dead horse with a stick. If they really want to revive Sonic, they should.

- Find a new use for speed.

- Kill. The. Cast. (Sonic's friends suck, and they will likely be in this game)

- Let America & Europe call the villian Robotnik again. (It's just a better name)

- Characterization (Just who is Sonic the Hedgehog? Who are his friends and enemies? Why are they his friends and enemies?)

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!

- Let America & Europe call the villian Robotnik again. (It's just a better name)

- Characterization (Just who is Sonic the Hedgehog? Who are his friends and enemies? Why are they his friends and enemies?)
Wher have I heard this before?
Oh yeah. Game Overthinker v22.

BTW. I have no high nor low expectations for this game. I'm not the greatest Sonic fan and I only own the Rush games so yeah.

HERLS

LOLOLOL
Now they're just beating a dead horse with a stick. If they really want to revive Sonic, they should.

I think you'll find that the reason Sonic is failing is because he lacks a solid engine, there is no consistency between titles, speed has been overplayed, exploration has been destroyed (and what little exploration is left is avoided out of fear of bottomless pits), Sonic is too fast to make a whole game out of 10Km long daytime stages (hence, the Werehog), the actual alternative gameplay styles are too different and forced upon the player, the camera can be shakey, the pacing is bad, much of the actual action is automated by loops, boosters, grind rails and QTEs, there is far too much filler material, and the development team are too lazy to make one single, brilliant gameplay style so they seperate important elements of Sonic, like speed and platforming, into different gameplay styles.

People are just using characters/voice acting/regional inconsistency/plot as a strawman for all of Sonic's real problems, which go far deeper than "why isn't he called Robotnik anymore?". One thing I will agree with is finding different uses for Sonic's speed. In the originals you needed to build speed to overcome loops, break through walls, move a nut upwards by running on it (Metropolis Zone), travel through time, spin a switch that makes platforms appear (Marble Garden Zone), spin a machine that makes Sonic go upwards (Lava Reef Zone), and run up the inside of a huge hollow tree (Angel Island Zone). Now, not only is speed given to you far too easily via a fast accelerating rate, boost button and boost pads, but there's also no use for it. In the originals, you had to earn speed, and get rewarded for it.

Back on-topic - the game is made by the same guys who made Outrun Arcade 06, as well as Superstars Tennis, so I trust them to make a mean crossover racer. The only thing I fear is that they could make those loops automated, like those sucky twists and turns on Rainbow Road (both DS and Wii), which would suck hard donkey scrotum.

I also hope they don't use the Seaside Hill music from Heroes for that Sonic track. I raged hard when I heard that crap on the Green Hill stage in Superstars Tennis instead of the classic GHZ tune, and I expect to be compensated in full with more rocking Sonic tunes, like Green Hill, Emerald Hill or Emerald Coast. Of course, they could just do a SSBB-esque MyMusic system to satisfy everybody's tastes.

jellsprout

Sonic's car screams overcompensation.

Selfdestruct Togepi

Fangirls Beware!
Sonic in a car? whats next? Shadow in a World War II spitfire?... hey that might work...

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I don't know, this doesn't look that bad. I think people are just doing the whole "OMIGOD SONIC GAME HATE!" thing...even though this isn't really a Sonic Game, it's a Sega Superstar-esque game it seems.

Come on Billy Hatcher. :0

People are just using characters/voice acting/regional inconsistency/plot as a strawman for all of Sonic's real problems
Yeah...I think the main problem with the new Sonic games are the gameplay, but most people seem to pick everything in them apart as being a problem.

Chris

Old Coot
I like how people automatically assume this is a Sonic-only title, just like they did with SEGA Superstars Tennis.

This is NOT like Mario Kart, where only Mario characters are included. This is actually another title including SEGA's non-Sonic franchises; it's the Smash Bros. of racing, basically. Anyways, after much thought, having Sonic outside of a car in a car racing title is not the best idea, contrary to what fans believe. See Sonic R's retarded as hell, clunky control scheme.

Rave

Banned
Well, its not the first time Sonic's been in a race car.

Thriller

Its almost time
Why does Sonic need to drive a car around? He's supposed to be super fast. Sonic riding around in a car just looks silly.

Sega needs to find a new use for speed, not only has this been done before, it surely isn't a new use for speed.

Chris

Old Coot
Again...

1) Not a Sonic game. Having Sonic run would mean he'd be the character of choice since no other SEGA character possesses his speed (with the exception of Shadow and Metal Sonic).

2) Having Sonic run in a game that uses car racing controls DOES NOT TURN OUT WELL. Refer to Sonic colliding with everything in Sonic R.